Plastic Barrels for beds.

Gentleman, inclosed are some photos of my plastic barrel dog houses. The ones I choose to use are 15 gallon (About 55 liters) plastic barrels. The barrels are sloped approximately 2 inches from back to front, with holes drilled below the dog's opening for drainage. The pour spout was located on the back of the container towards the top. It can be screwed out in the summer time for good ventilation or screwed back in during the winter time to prevent any drafts from occuring. I find it very important in the Allegheny mountains of south-west Pennsylvania, to change the bedding at least every three weeks in the dead of winter. I took a one gallon paint lid to measure the hole the dogs can go in and out through. I have found on really cold nights two dogs sleeping together in one box. Never had any problem with condensation in the boxes in any type of weather.

I've found the problem of dogs chewing the boxes to come from boredom, if they are well exercised and hunt regularly then you shouldn't have any problems, at least in my experience. They are very easy to clean out, just grab a hose and clean it out with soap and water. Mine have been sturdy,

reliable and still going strong even after 3 years...................................................................................richlee

100_0408_zpse4aaf9bb.jpg

100_0543_zpsef97a32b.jpg

100_0544_zpsb4dd7c7b.jpg

100_0546_zpsf5d6cc2d.jpg

100_0548_zps5a2d7480.jpg

100_0549_zps91f5efa9.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentleman, inclosed are some photos of my plastic barrel dog houses. The ones I choose to use are 15 gallon (About 55 liters) plastic barrels. The barrels are sloped approximately 2 inches from back t

make some vents in them (water tight) or it will be piss wet through with condensation

Brockdog, The American kit looks like a good set-up. If those can not be bought over here in Europe maybe we could make our own. Add a couple of improvements and save some money as well. Use the o

Posted Images

darren , thanks !!!!!!! . lukey , i used 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber , with a sealer on it , kennels are cleaned ,scrubed daily with clorox , no signs of rot after 2 years , since i only have 5 terriers its no problem , i need to keep my dogs up -off of ground because of ticks........................................................richlee

• 5 weeks later...

seen these on google ,brilliant,

post-42222-0-28642300-1358286196.jpg

Brockdog,

The American kit looks like a good set-up.

If those can not be bought over here in Europe maybe we could make our own.

Add a couple of improvements and save some money as well.

Use the open top Drum with a quick connect tension band instead of the Tight head drum.

This allows easy access to a terrier inside and makes it simple to clean.

This is what it might look like!

post-42222-0-79297600-1358266649_thumb.jpg

it would be possible to insulate them so condensation would not be a problem.

IMO the insulation allows the dog to Thrive.

The uninsulated allow the dog to Survive.

Fit a 110litre drum inside a 210 litre drum and fill the space between with expanding foam insulation.

The type of expanding foam you get in a can.(Polycell do a version)

post-42222-0-28084500-1358266809_thumb.jpg

The timber guides keep the smaller drum central and allow brackets to be attached later.

Spray the foam at the back through a drilled hole.

Make sure the inside drum will be tight against the lid

post-42222-0-05329200-1358266913_thumb.jpg

The bolts in the support bracket allow you to level the drum on a sloped yard.

A metal door flap at the front will keep the inside draught free.

post-42222-0-11700400-1358266956_thumb.jpg

Finish with a bench on top for inspecting the dog after it returns from working.

It could not be too difficult to build something like this and it would last for years.

P3D

• Like 3

Do they make them for lurchers or just for terriers?? They look good to me ;) atb cbx

CBX,

If you can find drums big enough they could be made for any dog. :thumbs:

The principle of insulating the inner drum would be the same.

P3D

made a couple from pipes and just borded the one end up. thought about puttin some concrete some how on the bottom like a lobster pot so it cant be moved so easly. it would save putin a peg in for chain and the anoyance of a terrier chasing the hens round the yard with a pipe attached to it. lol

watto

seen these on google ,brilliant,

post-42222-0-28642300-1358286196.jpg

Brockdog,

Those look like a good set-up.

If the kits can not be bought over here in Europe maybe we could make our own.

Add a couple of improvements and save some money as well.

The open top Drum with a quick connect tension band.

This allows easy access to a terrier inside and makes it simple to clean inside.

this is what it might look like!

post-42222-0-79297600-1358266649_thumb.jpg

it would be possible to insulate them so condensation would not be a problem.

Fit a 110litre drum inside a 210 litre drum and fill the space between with expanding foam insulation.

The type of expanding foam you get in a can.(Polycell do a version)

post-42222-0-28084500-1358266809_thumb.jpg

Use the open lid type and they would be easy to clean.

The timber guides keep the smaller drum central and allow brackets to be attached later.

post-42222-0-05329200-1358266913_thumb.jpg

The bolts in the support bracket allow you to level the drum on a sloped yard.

A door flap at the front will keep the inside draught free.

post-42222-0-11700400-1358266956_thumb.jpg

Finish with a bench on top for inspecting the dog after it returns from working.

It could not be too difficult to build something like this and it would last for years.

P3D

there excellent them wouldnt mind a few a them for my dogs but look quite expensive so think i`l bodge a few up myself out of old barrels :thumbs::victory: