Plastic Barrels for beds.

when i had terriers i kept them in barrels no problems at all, they are chew proof,rot proof,you can jet wash em and disenfect em . i dont keep terriers now but i wont get rid of them. atb sppost-67832-0-13166400-1355158865.jpg

my mates led them on there side with a hole cut out of the end, so they can curl up right at the back......

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentleman, inclosed are some photos of my plastic barrel dog houses. The ones I choose to use are 15 gallon (About 55 liters) plastic barrels. The barrels are sloped approximately 2 inches from back t

make some vents in them (water tight) or it will be piss wet through with condensation

Brockdog, The American kit looks like a good set-up. If those can not be bought over here in Europe maybe we could make our own. Add a couple of improvements and save some money as well. Use the o

Posted Images

when i had terriers i kept them in barrels no problems at all, they are chew proof,rot proof,you can jet wash em and disenfect em . i dont keep terriers now but i wont get rid of them. atb sppost-67832-0-13166400-1355158865.jpg

why dont you put the barrell on its side and leave the lid off with some bedding in it,it would be condensation free then,atb wf

why dont you put the barrell on its side and leave the lid off with some bedding in it,it would be condensation free then,atb wf

when i kept terriers all of them were in barrels on wood shavings never had a problem with condensation and in winter i used heat lamps so the hight of the barrel was just right , i had a border bitch a bit on the shy side and she would hide right at the back of the barrel where i couldnt reach her so thats why i stand them on end. atb sp. P.S i dont keep terriers no more but i wont get rid of them they are stored in the garage you never know i might get another one day. Edited by spazzy paddy

I used them for years. Don't do the typical guy thing and over engineer it. If your keeping terriers in them don't get the 55 gal barrels get the 30 gallon. The smaller the dog house the better they will hold heat. They don't need to stand up and dance a jig in there its not a dance hall its meant to be a den.

You can usually get the smaller 30gal barrels from the car wash after their empty of soap. Where ever you get them make sure only non hazzardous liquids were stored in them (soy sause, soap, etc). Cut a 8x8, or 10x10 square hole in the upper section of the top of the barrel. DO NOT CENTER IT! Cut 2x4 pine and frame the entry so they can't chew it out bigger. The smaller the hole the less heat escapes. By NOT centering the dogs entry you can now fill the barrel half full with pine shavings or straw and the bedding will not fall out of the dog house. Dig out the ground and bury the barrel half way into the earth. This will keep it more insulated and from rolling. You can also put a concrete bowl for food on one side of the barrel and a galvanized tub full of water on the other to keep the barrel from rolling.

It ain't pretty, but it don't need to be. good luck