saluki natural retreiving?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This bitch, Willow, was a natural retriever. Without any form of training she just wanted to present me with her catches.....even through thick hedges with barbed wire fences. Only after the long runs

In my experience some saluki bred lurchers struggle to remember to come back themselves never mind retrieve game, salukis were bred to run long distance at a high speed & are exceptional at this.

99% of what determines whether or not a Saluki type will retrieve depends on the bond the dog has with its owner and how much time the owner spends developing that bond and playing the right sort of g

In my experience some saluki bred lurchers struggle to remember to come back themselves never mind retrieve game, salukis were bred to run long distance at a high speed & are exceptional at this. But if you want a dog that will retrieve & come back as soon as you want him/her back there is a lot of other lurcher X breeds with more common sense out there.

• Like 2

What's the difference between retrieving pre-ban and now?

the difference is most people would associate a saluki type and pre ban to hare coursing. and the difference between a hare and a rabbit is alot.

no the difference between a. Hare and rabbit is you can picka hare from. Your hole but you cant pick a rabbit.

At "big coursing events", wether it be Saluki hybrids at the Forely, or Greyhounds at the Waterloo; why would retrieving be of interest ? Surely the perfomance of the dog is paramount ? I've never heard of points being awarded for retrieving.

Cheers.

What's the difference between retrieving pre-ban and now?

the difference is most people would associate a saluki type and pre ban to hare coursing. and the difference between a hare and a rabbit is alot.

Really? I thought hares just had bigger ears? The rest of them is the same though and they run the same.

This bitch, Willow, was a natural retriever. Without any form of training she just wanted to present me with her catches.....even through thick hedges with barbed wire fences. Only after the long runs on big land would she stand over her kills, catching her breath till I got to her.

DSCN0364.jpg

• Like 3

This bitch, Willow, was a natural retriever. Without any form of training she just wanted to present me with her catches.....even through thick hedges with barbed wire fences. Only after the long runs on big land would she stand over her kills, catching her breath till I got to her.

DSCN0364.jpg

Lovely bitch. Any whippet in there? She looks similar to mine.

And here is her daughter, Patch, aged exactly 7 months. Willow was bred out of a pure saluki bitch and a saluki lurcher sire. Patch is her daughter by a Khan Jihad pure saluki dog. Never had a problem with recall with either of them.

DSC00944.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

Lovely bitch. Any whippet in there? She looks similar to mine.

No whippet Gareth, her sire was a dog I had off Alan Sankey called Max ( Tommy Murrays Smokey x Dancer)