hornady 17gr.v-max

Went to gunshop last weekend, they know ive got an 17hmr so asked me if i've had problems with the ammo. They had one 17hmr with bullet stuck in barrel and one where the person had ejected round with the bolt and did not realise the bullet had stayed in breach and reloaded - and when they fired it blew a hole in the barrel. Then yesterday I went to another gunshop to get ammo and was told they will stop selling hornady ammo because of complaints.

I've had my 17hmr for 7yrs and never had a problem with the ammo. Tthey are going to stock winchester 17hmr ammo - has any body used these and what are they like ?

I had one stuck in the barrel, It never went off and only rejected the case.......................................I was told all 17hmr was made by hornady...................

there all made by cci, they are the only manufacturer with the technology to neck down the 22wmr round there made from.

Went to gunshop last weekend, they know ive got an 17hmr so asked me if i've had problems with the ammo. They had one 17hmr with bullet stuck in barrel and one where the person had ejected round with the bolt and did not realise the bullet had stayed in breach and reloaded - and when they fired it blew a hole in the barrel. Then yesterday I went to another gunshop to get ammo and was told they will stop selling hornady ammo because of complaints.

I've had my 17hmr for 7yrs and never had a problem with the ammo. Tthey are going to stock winchester 17hmr ammo - has any body used these and what are they like ?

I'm not trying to be funny and I am well aware that there are issues with HMR ammo, one of the reasons the US no longer sells semi versions and posts warnings.

BUT, they are 245ft lb and go through barrels thick enough to take a .308 @ circa 2500+ ft lb all day!

I am not trying to belittle any firearm or ammo problem, all of which must be take seriously, but did you actually see this HMR with a Blown up barrel, and where was the hole and what dimensions was it, what happened to the shooter?

no ive not seen the blown up barrel ive been told all 17hrm ammo is made by cci other then winchesters

I remain sceptical, I don't deny it, yes, there are ammo problems and care is required.

HMR ammo problems are well known, widespread and often debated.

Can ANYONE post a picture/link to a blown up HMR barrel, with this much ammo grief one would expect this would be easy to find? :hmm::thumbs:

Cheers!

Edited by Deker

I had one stuck in the barrel, It never went off and only rejected the case.......................................I was told all 17hmr was made by hornady...................

Had a mate who had the same problem.

I called a trader who told me that CCI had a 'problem' with a batch of ammo they loaded for Hornaday being 'under loaded' with powder.

It slipped thro QC which is bad news.

Overloaded would have been far less dangerous.

He also said that due to this Remmington were going to now load their own 17HMR rounds.

And as has been said CCI do (or did) load all 17HMR ammo!!!

Edited by masmiffy

I have shot thousands of the Hornady V-Max and never had a problem at all, sometimes there can be a small hairline crack on the neck but this has never had any adverse effect, my HMR loves the V-Max and I haven't found any other round to better it, and I have tried them all.

I have shot thousands of the Hornady V-Max and never had a problem at all, sometimes there can be a small hairline crack on the neck but this has never had any adverse effect, my HMR loves the V-Max and I haven't found any other round to better it, and I have tried them all.

Same as, never had a problem.