Building muscles on your lurchers

Hi, can anyone tell me the best diest and excercise to build up muscles gradually on a young dog?

My pup is 8 months old, and we have attented a few shows in the past couple of months, entering her into the under 6 month puppy section, and when she went past 6 momths the overs, the thing that struck me the most in both catergories was the size of muscles on all the dogs competing even in the under 6 months they had fair size muscles in the back halfs, makin my pup look very puny,at first I did think some peeps might have been cheating and entering older dogs, but they were too many of them I think to be that.

I walk my pup an average of a hour a day off the lead letting her run and let of steam, and sometimes of an evening will road walk her on a lead, I like to know what Im doing wrong, to not get the specimens i have seen in the ring,and was told by a reliable source I shouldnt be overexercising them any way before year old.

can any one enlighten me pls where Im going wrong.

Woodys Mum

• Like 1

Hi, can anyone tell me the best diest and excercise to build up muscles gradually on a young dog?

My pup is 8 months old, and we have attented a few shows in the past couple of months, entering her into the under 6 month puppy section, and when she went past 6 momths the overs, the thing that struck me the most in both catergories was the size of muscles on all the dogs competing even in the under 6 months they had fair size muscles in the back halfs, makin my pup look very puny,at first I did think some peeps might have been cheating and entering older dogs, but they were too many of them I think to be that.

I walk my pup an average of a hour a day off the lead letting her run and let of steam, and sometimes of an evening will road walk her on a lead, I like to know what Im doing wrong, to not get the specimens i have seen in the ring,and was told by a reliable source I shouldnt be overexercising them any way before year old.

Woodys Mum

different dogs develop at different rates, my lurcher still looked like a scrawny puppy at 12 months and yet I've seen a picture of her sire at 11 months and he was very well muscled. What are you feeding her on?

I wouldn't worry about it, definitely too young to be doing any proper exercise....just let her be a puppy, you wouldn't be worrying about your sons muscle mass at the age of 12 or 13 would you! :D

• Like 1

They all develop at different rates. My male Saluki was almost two before he looked anything like a decent dog but my bitch was well muscled at 12-14 months. At 8 months your pup is very likely in the adolescent scrawny gangly stage and there will be very little you can do to improve till it is passed. A little more road work could possibly help as long as you don't over do it and steady walking up hills is great for toning hindquarters but again don't over do it. Aim for a happy healthy well balanced pup rather than the best looking miserable one. :yes:

• Like 1

Woodys Mum

plenty of faty food

Don't worry about there dogs so long as he's healthy wormed and happy that's all that matters. He doesn't need loads of muscule at that age u ain't working him and loads of muscule on a running dog ain't always a good thing

Totally agree with this, a dog doesn't need to have loads of muscle to be fit and healthy