Anyone ever use purse nets without ferret to backnet rabbits ???

I have not had a ferret now for some yrs as the last 2 were stolen from my shed hutch as well......

I was sorting through my shed the other day and found my old purse nets and thought about getting another ferret or 2 for next season, anyway i seen an old mate who will have some young kits for next year so thats sorted.

I sorted all the nets out and decided to go to an old pasture permission and was surprised to see many rabbits out feeding during the day so i silently crept into the hedge and set nets on all the burrows near by and then went round to opposite side of field climbed into the field and ran them all in to what they thought was safety and ended up with 5 of the little buggers all back netted down their holes,

Not bad without a ferret i thought....

Deano :thumbs:

• Like 6

Nice o ne mate hunting is often thinking thinking outside the norm..... Years ago we used to poach pheasants with the aid of a Brocken down bit of rabbit proof fencing near a covert.,,

We would go and whistle the birds up same as a keeper does, the fence was bent over so it was like a tunnel,, we would peg it over like this for about 10 feet, closing one end, and peg the eges down with sticks, the open end was opened out wide, we would then whistle,, and scatter corn in to the tunnel .......and bobs your uncle .

Cheers, I just needed a few for the freezer now i got them, these rabbits are so trusting and are used to the girls dealing with the horses on this land and i walking in between them when last went out metal detecting and they were all out in centre field and they still played and chased each other feet away from me not at all bothered by my presence.

You really dont find one of these permissions often but the land owner shoots a few himself but they never been lamped or had too much of a caining

Used to back net all the time before I had long nets , and probably still would just got lazy with the long nets : ) works a treat if you cant get to all the holes net the warrens iether side at the same time , and on hedges you can't get into, the old back netter, made up half the bag Some days ,

Well done, very similar to using a longnet, I remember a unlucky Rabbit last Season, I had finished netting up a hedge with about 12 purse nets,when the Whippet raised a Rabbit out in the field, the Rabbit running to the hedge, went down a bury that I had forgot to lift the net.

One unlucky Rabbit.

Caught a lot of local rabbits as a kid netting up the back of bolt holes in the drystone walls surrounding an old quarry on my mates farm, used to be fun creeping around behind the walls, and then running them in after everything was set with the farms russel. I even netted the russel once! poor little bugger.

• Like 1

Was out last year and the dog flushed a rabbit out and it went through a wall, i watched it travel all the way down the hillside and into a single hole beneath an old building, i went down and stuck a net on, planning to ferret it out later that day, trying to avoid a kill under the concrete. Walked back up the hill and on the way up the dog put a nother rabbit up and ran it all the way back down the hill into the net.

• Like 2
  • 8 years later...

Hi Lads, my garden is like a playground with rabbits and multiplying all the time with an average of 10 rabbits feeding on the grass. 

Tried snaring and cage trapping but their just laughing. 

There burrows are not on my land they just come in to feed. 

I need to catch them pronto, any helpful ideas would be geeat. 

Nb, no guns dogs or ferets allowed, just me 

We used to sneak on a local farm at night as kids, used to net the sets up with purse nets and then walk the fields back netting the rabbits, you want someone handy to dispatch them as the buggers will chew the nets to bits like last time I dropped my quick set myself, bugger had some holes in when I got back to it ?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

We used to sneak on a local farm at night as kids, used to net the sets up with purse nets and then walk the fields back netting the rabbits, you want someone handy to dispatch them as the buggers will chew the nets to bits like last time I dropped my quick set myself, bugger had some holes in when I got back to it ?

hazard of working alone mate. they are not long in a longnet before they have chewed through meshes and lines. 

• Like 1