Sign in to follow this  
midnight

midnight knife making compatition (only 8 places )

bloody hell steve this looks good the sheath is great to !!

is it sharp ?

some good work from you guys so far ! keep um comming

bloody hell steve this looks good the sheath is great to !!

is it sharp ?

some good work from you guys so far ! keep um comming

Haven't sharpened it anymore than it was to scared to scratch it :)

here we go then ...........

this one is sold to my brother its gonna have a kydex sheath with fire steel also with buffalo horn , the finnish is 2000 grit fellas :)

2012_1217finnishedcomp0005.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0004.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0003.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0002.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0013.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0012.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0011.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0009.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0008.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0007.jpg2012_1217finnishedcomp0006.jpg

i dont know how long iv spent on this id say maybe 6-8 hours once the sheath is done .

all the best ,,matt

• Like 2

Now that's shinny :) that is lovely Matt !! The wife wants one she could do her make up with it :). How did you do the kinda zebra pattern on the metal round the handle ??

i can get um to shine more than that and flatter finnished than that , nice little clue as what im aiming for next year !!

do you mean the file work steve ?

i just ground the handle back into the holes that run round the blank .

or if you mean the rippling effect in the steel then thats just the trizact abrazive it has a weird nature to it .

thank for the compliments fellas

Well, a bit more progress today. Here is the knife after having the CA glue and brass powder addedpost-32944-0-52285900-1356176382.jpg

Which reminds me of the black adder sketch where lord Percy makes the "purest green" ;)

But once sanded back it looks like this

post-32944-0-44149700-1356176456.jpg

Some of the occlusions are going to need a bit more filling but you get the idea. Still lots of work to be done but I'm hoping this will all go well. Just not sure wether to varnish, oil or wax it after I have it sanded to where I want it. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

Cheers mate, more CA and brass powder added this afternoon, so I'll get back to sanding again tomorrow.

Does anyone have any hints on what finish to use?

120 grit then ca it sand back to 240 ca it and so on and so on , light buff with felt mop and white compound will look like glass !!

looking good i like the back fill !

all the best , matt

Well here is the knife finished

post-32944-0-08811100-1356879348.jpg

still need to make the sheath but that's not going to get done before years end.

post-32944-0-56104600-1356879404.jpg

may go back and rework the handle at some point in the future but I'm quite happy with the outcome overall. Blade sharpened nicely and looks like it will be a very useable knife :)

• Like 2