springer dosent like carrying game help!

my springer is a year and a half old now and when i started traing her with dead quarry rabbits pigeons etc

[bANNED TEXT] she was younger she would retreave them no problem but now for some reason unknown to me she lifts it walk back about 10ft then brops it i tell her to go get and ahe wont she knows wat i want her to do but dosent seem to like carrying it any tips to make her want to reteive it?

she will carry anything else except dead quarry.

my granfather used to use spaniles, used to wrap elastic bandds around dead game when they first started, especially birds, as they dont always like feathers in the mouth, may be worth a try, i dont mean wrap it up so it f****n bounces, just a few around the body.

hope its of some help.

I would try the following, put the bird in its mouth with you In front of it and get it to hold it. Should it drop the bird put it back in and praise the dog when it is holding it for a long period of time. Once it will hold the bird throw it a couple of feet and send it for a retrieve offering plenty of praise when it's returned

Extend this until it is happy to retrieve for you again.

If its still not playing game then try using a ladies stocking with the bird inside it

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

got her a few woodcock the other day put them in a pare of tights for first session then later on in the day took them out she was really excited about and yes she retrieved them well.

she's a little noise shy at the min as she has not heard a shoot in a few months so will let her hear a few tomorrow.

you've had some good advice from the other lads, particularly 'the seeker' but just wanted to add a bit.

you say she used to do it- what changed? what does she do if you walk away from her, still encouraging her ('bring it on' or whatever) as she's bringing it back- I got my cocker to retrieve cold game this way as she didn't want me to leave her behind.

Edited by spec

and tips for rabbits

well what me dad used to do to make lurchers carry is when they caught a rabbit he tire the rabbit to there lead and walk... the dog would drag the rabbit a little then they end up pickin it up and carryin it after a bit he take it off them praze em up then let go off huntin not sayin its right way but worked

had her out yesterday she did well shot a few rabbits and she retrieved them good.

she was very very excited and at times had to shout across the field as she would not listen to the whistle.

she will listen better with voice commands compared to the whistle at times.

if i take her to the local park for a bit of training she is amazing at all commands but when i have her in the field she seems alot more excited and harder to control is it just sheer excitment ?