Ferrets that come away froma rabbit

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a fine balance, I work plenty of deep places, and when a ferrets going 10- 15ft down and then not moving for hours, its frankly a pain in the arse, as I don't want to be digging it or hanging rou

my ferrets never lie up there always worked with a bit of grub in them if they get a rabbit they will kill it and move on if they get one well weged in a block end that they can only claw at they wil

i give my ferrets a small feed before a hunt so they tend not to lay up to long , if they have been laid up and came away i've usually already gotten a fix with the locater and if its handy enough di

All good and well one that will move on , but if you've got five or six different ferrets in you will still be diging to one or two ferrets I have a very fast Jill pixie , kills quick as a flash behind the ear and has no interest in dead rabbits she may go back once so if in a warren on her own I make a Mark , she's out and onto a scent trail like a hound lol and off to the next warren if your not quick . She also has no interest in another ferrets catch iether just comes up, I have plenty of diging ferrets to that aren't as strong so take longer to kill, old pixie well she's not that old lol even nails them in cover like a terrier even been seen nailing bolting rabbits above ground she's a girl,

normarly the case with mine bolttle one up at 3ft wont stay long , bottle one up 8-9-12 ft bloody stay allday , but i have got one jill that will stay for a long time to a bottled up rabbit have had to leave her and go back the next day a couple of times where i just couldnt get to her, plus i think how many ferrets , rabbits in the warren at one time can play a big part to how long some will stay for

I think most ferrets in my experience will come away from assed up rabbits after a while, the younger ones seem to stick longer. And i'm sure most folk will agree if you dont get them out when they show, they will be back down on the rabbit again for another stint. Personally i dont think a ferret is gibbing when it does this, its just trying to find a differant way to get to the tasty end. Come on guys how long would you spend eating ass! :laugh:

Edited by Brimmer

I think most ferrets in my experience will come away from assed up rabbits after a while, the younger ones seem to stick longer. And i'm sure most folk will agree if you dont get them out when they show, they will be back down on the rabbit again for another stint. Personally i dont think a ferret is gibbing when it does this, its just trying to find a differant way to get to the tasty end. Come on guys how long would you spend eating ass! :laugh:

As long as it's had a good soak in the bath : /

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I think it more important for us to know how the fert works and located the fert asap locate it mark it then dig after the warrens clear .

Most ferrets if well handle will come off the back of the coney if it cant get to its neck to kill surface then search only or it to return.

The worst thing I see is folk enter another fert into a warren with a fert in stop end working on a coney you can be sure that the fert enterin will send a coney up the stop tube behind the first fert.

Strange it rarely happens if you enter more than one fert at the same time for a reason I dont know just noticed that over the years ATB Cookie

Nothing like a jam sandwich to keep you going though the day.

1906.jpg

ATB Cookie

• Like 1

a ferret that leaves a dead rabbit will leave a live one,

how common is a 6ft dig?

not very round here anyway,

leaveing dead rabbits or assed up ones is bad news

Well . . . . . . that's bollocks!

Ferrets that leave dead bunnys wont necessarily leave live ones, i got ferrets here that once dead and shaken about, the rabbit is of no interest, and yet will stick all day on a live one.

And as for how common is 6ft - some places, nearly all the warrens run 6-10 foot in places. Deepest we have had is a ten footer!

Ideally no one wants to leave a dead rabbit, but id swap a hell of a lot of rabbits for my ferrets, especially in undiggable places!

• Like 2
Guest norseman

any one heard of a hob dragging a rabbit out? or am i having my leg pulled :icon_redface: (sorry not trying to hijack thread, just add to it)

cheers atb

Have a small jill here that has done it in front of 2 witnesses!

haha thats handy ideation, yeah i guy i work with swears he had a big hob who dragged the odd rabbit out,

any one heard of a hob dragging a rabbit out? or am i having my leg pulled :icon_redface: (sorry not trying to hijack thread, just add to it)

cheers atb

haha thats handy ideation, yeah i guy i work with swears he had a big hob who dragged the odd rabbit out,

Never had them drag a rabbit out but ive had a hob that used to catch rabbits just before they bolted and all you had to do was pick it up.

I think it more important for us to know how the fert works and located the fert asap locate it mark it then dig after the warrens clear .

Most ferrets if well handle will come off the back of the coney if it cant get to its neck to kill surface then search only or it to return.

The worst thing I see is folk enter another fert into a warren with a fert in stop end working on a coney you can be sure that the fert enterin will send a coney up the stop tube behind the first fert.

Strange it rarely happens if you enter more than one fert at the same time for a reason I dont know just noticed that over the years ATB Cookie

Nothing like a jam sandwich to keep you going though the day.

1906.jpg

ATB Cookie

dig the gloves lol .........you aint scared of a ferret nip lol :laugh: :laugh:

cheers atb

few years ago i had one do exacly the same,...its not un heard of