Question, How many people run purebred running dogs?

A lot of times the folks at these meets aren't hunters as I would classify them, most all of the serious hunters, coyotes & jacks, use mixed breed longdogs.

Paul

I would have said the same at one time, but a lot who run pure breds are very serious about coursing.

And they are trying to breed a top courser from the best pure bred they can get, of which not one has been bred to run Jacks If your talking about in the US . If a lurcher owner wants more speed est. he just puts more greyhound est. in the mix, getting more speed est. into a pure bred can take years, All of this dosent + a less serious hunter even if a lot of their dogs arent as good as the x's at the minute.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I thought this was a forum for ADULTS....silly me. :no::no::no:

6yo's in the schoolyard are more mature.....& imaginative. :hmm:

if you want adult answers then YOU stop coming out with silly statments i have talked to people who hunt pure salukis .. :D and to me there isnt a better pure dog than a saluki ;'' :D iam not into breeding never have been like most show folk are in it for the money which dosent intrest me in the least grooming a dog and making it look pretty for the ring a dog should be used what its bred for ....sorry for being insulting kate ..but you came across ignorant to me ...and instead of coming back with a civil i came back with one i shouldnt have ...my appologies but please dont think a show dog is better than anyone elses because it aint...all the best snoop.... ;)

Hey Autumn- as far as running dogs in Oz go not many have a pedigree to speak of!! Most are deer/grey/??

maybe a touch of bully. Very few people run pure deer or greyhound, - whippets seem the most common purebred around here and in England.

People seriously hunting their dogs use crossbreds, unless they are only doing lurecoursing and such. I have 3 running dogs- 1 stag X (wolfyx), 2 kangaroo dogs- bitch looks more greyhoundy, dog looks like grey x dane (he's not but thats what he looks like.) The only purebred I could imagine using for what I use my dogs for would be a deerhound.

hi,hairybull does the ridgeback still get teamed up with the staghounds out there?.or has it fell out of favour.

To be honest I dont know of anyone that has Ridge in their dogs- running dogs OR pig dogs. All the blokes I know running stags dont need any other dog with them to help out- the stags have better skill!! :yes::yes:

Now hairybull

Thats not quit right, while the staghound is mostly a plains hunter and believe me mine love it when I can get them out west, I live on the coast and hunt the mountians and use a pur ridgeback to do the finding for my staghounds. All dogs have a nose but my stags only think they know how to use it and usually back track and use their speed to catch up when they relise the ridgeback has gone the right way.

Stevemac

ps I do relize I an in the minority though using a pur ridgeback to do the finding.

*I* use purebred,registered,*SHOW-BRED* TERRIERS.

The Border pup I'm (probably) getting is too.

The whippet I used to hunt w/was also purebred,show-bred & reg.

We do just fine,thanks.

You don't have to have an ugly mutt to hunt/work.

OR...herd,guard,point,retrieve,etc.,etc.

Sorry Kate, but your remark about "ugly mutts" IS ignorant ! Plenty of people who work crossbreeds find them just as, or more, attractive than purebreds, many of which bare little resemblence to the origional working dogs; having been changed beyond recognition by the show fraternity.

Cheers.

*I* use purebred,registered,*SHOW-BRED* TERRIERS.

The Border pup I'm (probably) getting is too.

The whippet I used to hunt w/was also purebred,show-bred & reg.

We do just fine,thanks.

You don't have to have an ugly mutt to hunt/work.

OR...herd,guard,point,retrieve,etc.,etc.

i wouldnt have a show bred dog! must come from working background maybe that show the odd time for fun, salukis and terriers are for huinting not for looks , its just coincidence that the saluki is a naturally beautiful hound as well as a great hunter

I have to agree with Luke, Kate you come across as a snob, whats the point of being on a working dog forum if your going to look down your nose at anything thats not show bred? :blink:

sigh......ya'll don't GET IT,do you? :cry:

I never said an ugly mutt *can't* do a job=I SAID a dog "DOESN'T ****HAVE TO BE**** AN UGLY MUTT...."!

I've been out w/other folks...er...less than lovely specimans...& had a lot of fun w/em.

MY beasts are PUREBRED *&* SHOW BRED(cuz I won't breed CRAP!)& STILL do the job.

I may be the ONLY person in the world who USES Norwich....REAL,QUALITY Norwich.... & I get crap from both sides =EEEEwwwwwww! Make my poor wittle(EXPENSIVE!)doggie-woggie go a down a hole where a MONSTER VERMIN IS???"

***&**** "Purebreds CAN'T work".

BOTH sides are equally ignorant *&* BIASED. NEITHER can can manage to say"Kewl! Not "my" cuppa tea ,but that's great;have fun!"

Now,'splain me THAT!

"Reverse" snobbery? Sour Grapes? Smug ignorance? Sheer stubborn prejudice? Leftover "class" resentment?

ALL of the above?

It sure gets BORING to hear the same regurgitated BULLSHI*. Can't ANYBODY think for themselves anymore?? SCARED of it? Too lazy?

:unsure: :wacko:

Kate if you removed your own head from your arse long enough you might realise thay nobody is against pedigree dogs that can do the job it's just that the majority of running dogs and terriers that are kennel club regestered are inferior or completely useless in the field.

The only people who are really getting down to a lower level is us bothering to answer your elitest, pedigree show dog, ignorant waffle.

Guest MOLLY
Is there anyone here from the same planet as Kate who could translate that mumbo jumbo for me? :blink::laugh::laugh:

I think, but i could be completely wrong :blink: Kate is saying it is possible to have an animal which is both a worker and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. In Kates opinion a pure bred, pedigree working dog is a better looking dog than a cross bred working dog.

Now my opinion for what its worth :D

If you buy a Dalmation, it looks just like every other dalmation, minus or plus a few spots. If you buy a black labrador, it looks just like every other black ladrador, i suppose owners could tell their own dogs but to every one else they all look the same.

At least with our cross breed, ugly mutts they are unique and possibly have a healthier gene pool than inbred pedigrees :yes:

MOLL.

"Ugly Mutts", "Less Than Lovely Specimens" , "You Don't Breed Crap" !!!!! Kate, whatever it is you are trying to say, you come across that ALL non pedigree dogs are lesser animals than pedigrees !!! You may not MEAN this, but it sure SOUNDS like it. BTW, I work a show quality Doberman and also a Lurcher, I wouldn't say either was an ugly mutt !!!!

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski