Pump up air rifles

Recently went out on my first shoot and a friend of a friend brought along a pump up air rifle. I didn't know what to think at first but once he had a few shots I was very Intrested in this type of gun, just want some info/ reviews on these as thinking of getting one in the future. How long does the power last once pumped? Etc any advice much appreciated

Regards

When you say 'Pump-Up' what do you mean?

1/. He used a Tall Stirrup Pump to fill it (known as a PCP or Pre-Charged Pnuemantic)

2/. The rifle had a built in pump? (depending on make and model this type are known as SSP's or MSP's (Single Stroke Pnuematic that only needs 1 pump or Multi Stroke Pnuematic that require a number of pumps to get to the operating pressure).

MSP's are generally the cheapest, but they really take some work for one shot!

Tony

I had a crosman pistol a long time ago the all metal one .you pumped it up then when you pulled the trigger a valve opened and let out all the air .very accurate .longgggggggggggggg time to load .with loads of noise from pump .the new crosman pistols you pump up an air chamber when you pull the trigger a hammer knocks open a valve like a pcp .the sheridan air guns work like the new crosman pistols and the innova works like the old crosman pistol I think just looked at drawings .I did like my old crosman pistol so must of the person who stole it.I did have a crosman pump up rifle once total f,,,,,g c,,p.when you pumped it up you moved the barrel and action all over the place .so any pump up gun would have to withstand loads and loads and loads and loads of pumping .

years back used to have a crossman ratter rifle, 10 pumps and about 10 ft lbs, put 5 ball bearings in and a wad and shoot like a shotgun, only problem was even ratting out to 20 yards was still a hit and miss, for hunting rabbits was ok out to 25 yards then the almighty clank clank clank 10 times to pump up .... was nice and light, no recoil but was noisy when pumping so only ended up as a plinking rifle or to teach the kids safetty and shooting as was so light... all the best steve

• 4 weeks later...

Recently went out on my first shoot and a friend of a friend brought along a pump up air rifle. I didn't know what to think at first but once he had a few shots I was very Intrested in this type of gun, just want some info/ reviews on these as thinking of getting one in the future. How long does the power last once pumped? Etc any advice much appreciated

Regards

Hi Savy

I presume you mean a multipump pneumatic rifle which is pumped via the forestock..

If so then I have a few and as already said, they're damned noisey to pump but on the plus side there's no recoil, there is usually a loud crack upon firing unless a moderator is fitted..

Did the one your mate have look like any of these?

Cheapo B45-3 Chinese multipumper ten shot in .177cal..

B45-3s.jpg

Sharps Ace..

rifleace1.jpg

Sharps Innova..

riflesharpsinnova1.jpg

Sheridan Silver Streak..

riflesheridan1a.jpg

At the very left hand side of this pic is a Crosman model 1 (a mate has this now), it was actually a very good rifle that developed plenty of power but was still very noiseu upon pumping/shooting...

gc2.jpg

At the extreme right in this pic is a Crosman 2100, it was very similar to the mod1 but with a plastic stock, I made a set of mahogany stocks for it but for some reason I only have this pic with the rear one fitted..

guns3.jpg

There are single stroke pneumatics too which could be described as 'pumpers' but they usually have a very long pump arm which is (as far as I know) always a side lever, putting the lever on the side alows it to be longer for easier operation, if it was an underlever the trigger would get in the way..

John :bye:

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of a pre-charged gun. Nice and convenient for operating, but then you have the hassle of recharging them. Its either a buddy bottle, a trip to a divers shop or a striup pump.

..................5 mins on a stirrup pump every 160 shots....................lifes a bitch. :huh: