First real frost of the season......

We were out in the fields for 7am on Sunday and it made a pleasant change to be out in the frost with dogs, ferrets and nets. We visited a spot I haven’t been too much over the summer, so I was unsure of the lay of land, stock, cover etc although I have hunted this land for more years than I care to remember I like to have a quick visit before we ferret. Well I wish I had checked the particular hillside as when we were greeted with the long grass, ragwort and nettles I wasnt best happy as I had hoped to get some actions pics of the dogs working, but that wasnt going to happen. I knew we would not be in for an easy time but then again it can make it easier in some ways for the dogs to catch rabbits as they wont be flying, so sod the action pictures, we were out to catch rabbits!! This place has many warrens lots of burrows that can inter connect all set on steep banks. If the grass is long it can be real hard to cover all the holes and find the warrens. So the dogs had to earn their keep this morning. We had my 6 year old lurcher and his daughter who belongs to a friend she is now 16 months or so and has shown plenty of good promise thus far.

So the day proceed along much like it started with the dogs ranging about till they had a mark and we set a few long and stop nets between the weeds and lay a splattering of purse nets and entered anything up to 5 ferrets.

I knew these warrens would not hold huge volumes of rabbits and most produces 3-4's which was worthy of setting a few nets,the ferrets did have to work hard to push the rabbits out from a few deep spots. The dogs found two new warrens that I never knew existed which was a bonus and both were holding and will be noted. With quite a few rabbits coming out of unseen bolt holes the dogs, and in particularly the young bitch did well mopping them up, and in many cases just as the coney had cleared the hole mouth. It made a nice change to feel the cold frost on your hands while setting the nets, it felt like the season has begun, but once we came away from the shadow of the hills the sun warmed us up it was hot so we decided to do a couple more warrens and called it a day for 1pm with 17 in the bag and only missing maybe 3 at most which wasn’t bad considering.

Here are a few snaps of the day and I am afraid they are pretty poor quality, as I was busy catching rabbits. And the action shots just were never going to happen what with all the cover etc.

web2.jpg

Web1.jpg

web3.jpg

web4.jpg

web5.jpg

web6.jpg

web65.jpg

web7.jpg

web9.jpg

web10.jpg

Good Hunting Sirius

• Like 9

Yeah it was a nice little session, wish I had taken more snaps of the ferrets and dogs but its early doors with a whole season ahead of us..Get all the open warrens done before Christmas and save a few for easy days when I go solo.

Thanks for the comments on the dogs, they are honest enough, and when the youngster tidies up a few minor things work wise like respect for the longnets they will be a spot on team. :yes: