Advice for the beginner

As some people may already know, I've got an 11 week old Patterdale bitch. The whole family has already got a soft spot for her. She's a nuttall/wheeler and the bloke I got her off bred her for his own use to work with his hounds and other terriers so she's definetly comes from good stock. I've read a lot of books and internet pages but havnt had much hands on experiences with working terriers. What would be some sound advice with getting her onto the right path with being a great all rounded dog. Also what age should I "really" introduce her to quarry?? Sorry for sounding like an amateur, but everyone's gotta start somewhere right. Thanks for any advice.

• Like 1

i agree , the best dogs i have are the one's i spent the most time with as pups , get'n them to come back on call is very very important , sometimes its live or death , get'n them in the woods or field as much as possible is important . if i was you , i would go back an get a litter mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . let them mature before you put the on serious game is my advice.......richlee

i agree , the best dogs i have are the one's i spent the most time with as pups , get'n them to come back on call is very very important , sometimes its live or death , get'n them in the woods or field as much as possible is important . if i was you , i would go back an get a litter mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . let them mature before you put the on serious game is my advice.......richlee

mate please dont go with this advise as i bought to jr bitches and found it really hard to give each one the time they needed i think if i only hadthe 1 the she would have came along alot better as i could have spent more time with 1 :thumbs:

also you say your new to the game and a patterdale can make some of the most expericanced terrier men look like novice's so id stick to the 1 and put as much time into it as you can.

atb best with the wee pup

• Like 2

Irrispective of what 'lines' your dog comes from, the big question is, 'are both parents solid undergound working dogs'? Go with what BBB said, put as much time in as you can BUT beware, not every terrier makes the grade...

Best of luck. ;)

i'm getting f*****g old when i write this stuff but before the new breed of McDonald terrier owners turned up it was all about taking a well bred pup and making it a worker! BBB is spot on and even if the pup wants to go and you let it and it works like a veteran,remember its a pup up 2 years old, you have to be the brains in partnership or hopefully you are ! make the terrier don't break it ...enjoy and good luck

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 6

terriers are like (human) boxers they need built up gradually you wouldnt jump in a ring with tyson now would you? start them of slowly e.g a mouse, then a rat, then a squirrel keep them winning build up there confidence before you enter on there bigger apponents let them see the end of a dig so it all gets taken in and like said work on recall and stock breaking hope this helps im no expert as im still learning all the time

As said, basic training first and dont start him on rats untill he,s got his adult teeth, 5 - 6 months old, spend as much time with him as you can, it,ll make the bond between him and you somthing special, i even take mine to work with me when i can, buster.

sorry if im going of subject here but i went out with my 12 year old and 13 month old jrts the other day ferreting and when we got to the mountin it was lashing down so we went to the lower ground were we havent been for years to check some rabbit holes we came to 1 in a hedge and the old dog smelt it and walked away wile the pup was on the other side were unnone to me it had been dug out by a fox and she self entered and stayed for 2 houres before the fox either moved or bolted she was bayying the hole time but we had no shovel or coller as she never goes to rabbit and i was wonderig if there is anything that i can do to discurrage her from doing so ive been told not but just asking or am i better of buying a shovel and coller

Edited by ferreter1993

sorry if im going of subject here but i went out with my 12 year old and 13 month old jrts the other day ferreting and when we got to the mountin it was lashing down so we went to the lower ground were we havent been for years to check some rabbit holes we came to 1 in a hedge and the old dog smelt it and walked away wile the pup was on the other side were unnone to me it had been dug out by a fox and she self entered and stayed for 2 houres before the fox either moved or bolted she was bayying the hole time but we had no shovel or coller as she never goes to rabbit and i was wonderig if there is anything that i can do to discurrage her from doing so ive been told not but just asking or am i better of buying a shovel and coller

get a good shovel and a collar mate if the dog has gone to ground and stayed it will probably do it again given the opportunity

Atb

get a good shovel and a collar mate if the dog has gone to ground and stayed it will probably do it again given the opportunity

Atb

thanks mate thought so i no a couple of good lads who are into digging so ill have a word and see what happens