Plummer owners past and present

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Big G,I spent all the late 70's,'s,90's breeding hybrids of plummers and most big name terriers untill 2002 just for work on fox as it was my main quarry both professionally and as an avid amateur,but

Sparky,"fully able" means exactly that and not "fully experienced",these dogs from last year have shown their full potential from an early age as they are not limited to going out 1 day a week but 7da

WM i have just proposed such a thing to the pta committee, a group or sub committee it matters not what the name is, but tracing old lines which can be brought back in to use and collaborating closer

Posted Images

i must admit i'm a little baffled by this post. i cant really see where its leading. surely the best way to get good workers .is to work them and. cull the waste. there is a lot of enthasis on the faults in the plummer terrier. this is fair enough. but they are no different to any other breed of terrier that is bred so tightly :hmm: ive seen many problems apear in working russells and lakies. that only show if bred very close. everyone knows these problems are there so they tend to breed accordingly . i bred a litter of plummer hybreds many years ago. i used a dog called

Wizard. and produced some good workers. but also produced a dog that when its adult teeth grew in some where missing( i blame the tooth fairy) as for faults. i dont think i would breed from dogs carrying serious faults worker or not. but i wouldnt expect anyone to braodcast any problems either . unless it was to someone that it could directly effect. this is due to the bad blood and bitching in terriers in general not only plummers.

having said that i have three plummer bitches and havent bred a litter . ive one bitch i would like a pup from at some stage. and if i fancy a studdog . i will then do my homework. and working ability must come top of the list. my best working plummer is a big bitch well out of standard :thumbs: but hay ho. i know whats important to me.

post-2078-0-15426300-1349376650_thumb.jpg

HANDSOME IS AS HANDSOME DOES :tongue2:

• Like 1

C.S ,I am surprised at your post regarding its point as you then answer it yourself later on by saying you would do your homework if you were going to breed from your favoured bitch,poor health affects all breeds as stated but to have so many from such a young breed is unusual so soon,I have spent the last 3 years gathering information on lots of websites ,including all the plummer sites and have found them all to think they are the way forward and yet they differ so much with the direction the breed should be heading.The list I have been compiling should alredy of been out there to check openly by anyone wishing to breed their stock,

A~ to see if the bitch carries any known faults in the 6 generation ped

B~to see how many litters the dog has sired and the general size of the pups that are produced as well as any known faults in pups from a particular line

I know you have had plummers a while like myself and I also know you care about them so why take a chance mating when it could be a thought out % risk, you are old enough to remember the hydro cephalus monsters plummer bred, he learnt his lesson the hard way,you would be surprised at what stud dogs have produced different traits when mated to different bitches and lines,I agree that this should not be me researching this but a cross club breeding programme ran by people with more knowledge of genetics than myself but they are too busy playing politics then to worry about the future health of their own breed.

BBB there has been a lot of honesty up to now about faults and problems but it seems today the there has been club instructions to keep quiet to all members, unless there are no more faults past and present to tell of.

WM

if it was me id def outcross with wire coats cos one of the youngest breeds that is plauged with heatlh probs already cant have been bred right in the 1st place. just start your own strain with working ability top of the list

Big G,I spent all the late 70's,80's,90's breeding hybrids of plummers and most big name terriers untill 2002 just for work on fox as it was my main quarry both professionally and as an avid amateur,but in all that time the breed has never really progressed to the point I expected,in some ways I wish I'd remained in contact with Brian and the breed clubs to offer help running on more dogs giving them some serious work to test them because when I returned to buy another "pure blood" 9 out of 10 were just ratting and show dogs,the breed had been hijacked by fools that would of been more at home breeding yorkshire terriers,I attended all the major shows and could not believe the size of the stuff that was winning so called "breed standard" championships,3 yrs ago I came online with my first computer and offered to run some dogs on of the right size for terrierwork but was kept as an outsider,I tried to buy a bitch but they are like hens teeth (well certainly anything worth having)and so after obtaining a bitch that could not be registered as she was white bodied I have bred my own,I bred a litter of rough coated first crosses off my old dog "DANNY" and heres a pic for you,that dog is 9yr old now and has worked all quarry and no health problems,

• Like 5

That's a cracking looking terrier wcm and if the truth be known if my russell keeps doing what he's been doing then maybe :hmm: in the future i'll be putting him over my plummer bitch and if they produce a working terrier that looks like that i'd be well happy,

looks like a bog standard russel, so why not just buy one of those instead of a lesser dog

Why buy sh*te when I have dogs that are already tried and tested,that dog was bred off a flint and denbighshire hunt bitch I bought off their terrierman (roughcoated) and my double bred "remlap" dog "danny" 9yr ago,there was 4 dogs in the litter 2 rough coated and 2 smooth,all went to family or friends and are still worked to date,also working russells are very difficult to find these days most are just white lakies,

Plummer himself always said that the first cross always made the best workers,he used a red patt to produce (pagan) where as I bred for over 20yrs using nuttalls black stuff,I only ever kept the russell looking bitches with the black patches but when crossed again were very hit and miss as regards work,the plummer made them very clever and their nose was superb,they would bolt if poss, but would stay untill dug,here's a pic (PRE-BAN) of one of my better bitches,she was 10yr old when she got run over outside my house and killed but she was still working up to that day,WM

looks like a bog standard russel, so why not just buy one of those instead of a lesser dog

In a word BBB, Nose, i havent seen any other type of terrier that comes close to a Plummer in that dept, buster.

But is this quality being actively maintained?

You,d have to ask the breeders that one mate, a good point though, somthing to be considerd carefully when and if another outcross is decieded upon. Mines got a unbelievable nose on him for a terrier, i,ve leant to trust him, if he says theres somthing in a very unlikly looking spot, there is. The only thing i,ve worked with in recent years with a top class nose are Teckles, not terriers i know, only trouble with Teckles is they open up when on a scent, warning everybody and everything that they are on there way :laugh:

The trouble with that for me BBB is that i wanted a true rounder, for me that means it having a good nose as well as everything else, the nose i believe has come from the Beagle side of things which if iam right the JR or any other Terrier i know off hasnt got unless they,v got some plummer in them, i wish JR,s had, i could have had a working JR type for next to nowt of a mate 300 yrds from were i live, infact he,s got a litter now if anyones looking for one, buster.

• Like 1