working lurchers/whippets and flapping dogs

alright lads i tried posting this before it wouldn let me but who agrees with me that at dog shows flapping hounds :boogy: i mean lurchers and show whippets should be judged in separate rings. Some of theses dogs are being called lurchers when there 7/8 hound 1//8 whippet how much hound can ya get into a lurcher a friend of mine does say and hes right. i tthink any thing over 3/4 shouldn be called a lurcher .I just think that our working dogs shouldn be in a class with these type of dogs i go to a dog show were i see lurchers that never done a hard night lamping winning and next to it i see a battered dog marked up to bits looseing this goes for terriers to thanks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it's not down to the owners and the problem would be so easy to sort, it's the judges, plain and simple, the stick i've taken over the years for 'putting up' a dog with a scar or a limp caused through

At the end of the day by entering any dog ,in any class at any show you are paying for the judges opinion,simple as that.If said judge keeps putting up non working dogs ultimatly event organisers shou

It's not so much the showing IMO,it's the racing ,Im not really into racing the the dogs at shows because your average working lurcher does not stand a chance most of the time ,if i do it is just for

I personaly think that these non workers shouldnt be in the same league as the working dogs never mind in the same show ring, i went to a few shows over the summer and almoast every show was won by a non working dog. And funnly enough they were all broken coated

I personaly think that these non workers shouldnt be in the same league as the working dogs never mind in the same show ring, i went to a few shows over the summer and almoast every show was won by a non working dog. And funnly enough they were all broken coated

and they allways look up the leed

At the end of the day by entering any dog ,in any class at any show you are paying for the judges opinion,simple as that.If said judge keeps putting up non working dogs ultimatly event organisers should stop using them,tbh I think too many people take it too seriously nowadays,its a day out with the dogs,a few pints and a catch up with mates :thumbs: I would hate to see lurcher terrier shows go the way of KC world :bad: some years ago the wife had a French Bulldog,the breeder talked us into attending a big championship show with her :icon_eek: on arrival she told us who would win best dog,best bitch,best pup etc, :blink: and was correct on all classes and reserves :hmm: .....the judge was showing at the next big show ,whilst the breeder of the winners was judging :bad: money/politics/dogs dont mix,be happy with your dogs with/without rosettes ATB Dave

• Like 2

I get what your saying about non workers seem to always winning working dog classes, ive entered mine in a few and sometimes got placed sometimes didnt, but ive stopped going - because its starting to be took too serious and all the usual ones seem to do nothing but bitch about each other, load of s**t imo. I will be sticking to working my dogs :thumbs:

But as boyo stated, the judges cant tell the true workers from the fake ones :laugh:

• Like 1

it's not down to the owners and the problem would be so easy to sort, it's the judges, plain and simple, the stick i've taken over the years for 'putting up' a dog with a scar or a limp caused through work, injuries are part and parcel of the lurcher game and if the organisers picked judges who had the cohonies to stand by what they believed was right rather than what the onlookers wanted it would help immensly. i agree totally that they are beauty contests but its the man in the middle who has his hands on them that makes the difference, all things being equal conformation, balance, condition etc the injury free dog should win but if the best conformation and conditioned animal has a scar or a bust tendon through work they get the ticket from me, the exception i make to this is a fresh injury as imo the dog shouldn't be paraded about a potentially germ filled field but should be tucked up at home healing, whats wrong with lookers that work?

139.jpg

• Like 3

What criteria would you need for them to be considered in the same league?

Well said Birddog,the people booking the judges should be able to sort the good from the bad uns,and book them accordingly,if its owt like KC , judges reputations go before them ,a little thought on the organisers part would go a long way :thumbs: i for example would not put your dog up due to its poor coat,lack of muscle etc :angel::tongue2: