paddy sweeney and late willie tough

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WILLIE TOUGH REMEMBERED 10TH DEC 1947 - 24TH MARCH 2000 BY LAL HARDY   In all ascpects of life we come across characters that are larger than life, this was never more true than in the case of Wil

i would like to make this topic in memory off the late willie tough so please put some nice photos and any good storys ye have please make this the best topic on hear we all have being warne

this is my grandad willie toughs dad with is dog flash  

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WILLIE TOUGH REMEMBERED

10TH DEC 1947 - 24TH MARCH 2000

BY LAL HARDY

In all ascpects of life we come across characters that are larger than life, this was never more true than in the case of Willie Tough. I first met Willie through his involvelment with the Canlender Coursing Club about eight years ago, although I heard of him long before our first introduction. Willie was well known for his running dogs, such as, Scouser, Spindles, Salty, Brag, Roxy, Ink, Midnight and of course the famous Sooner. Many of his dogs were instantly recognisable being white with red markings, and many people believe this was due to an infusion of foxhound blood, but this was not true.

Once when coursing with Willie, or the captain as he was known (this was due to his barking orders such as “ for f**k sake, get in line”, and stop talking to those who strayed out of line when walking up hares). He told me of the dogs he preferred for cousing, Saluki/Greyhound with good gear and plenty of stamina, the ability not to wait but to gauge the hare and wait to strike. Once when I was coursing with him, I was running a very fast dog which I slipped on the hare about 200yards, the dog powered up to the hare and then the hares got into its stride, the dog struck and missed, and from that moment he could never get onto terms with his puss. I had used this dog with great success in small fields, but on the fens his shortcomings were all too apparent. Willie then gave his demonstration of his type of dog and what he expected of them, he spotted a hare lobbing about in the distance and gave Sooner a monumental slip. The dog gently ran into the direction of the hare with an unhurried lope, when she was about 10yards of the hare it saw her, moved into gear, Sooner dropped in behind it almost asif she was being led by the hare. Willie pointed out that although the dog had been slipped at 3 times the length of the slip i had given my dog, unlike my hound she hadn’t raced too the hare, so her slip was in fact more like 10yards.

As we watched she settled in behind the hare before dropping a gear then accelerating and picking at her quarry, missing she then settled back in behind the hare untill the moment was right to drop a gear, accelerate, and this time it was a successful strike. I watched Sooner run in this manner numerous times, some courses running what seemed an eternity. Willie claimed he had seen dogs, as good as Sooner, run on certain terrain, but had not seen a dog that, like her; could run any terrain, run on as many hares and never pull up, and still be coursing strong at 9years old. He maintained Sooner was the best dog he had ever had, although he had a deerhound/saluki/greyhound that showed a world of promises, but this dog was killed when it was just 2years old, so he never got to find out if she was a Sooner mark 2. Bitches were a favoured by Willie rather than dogs, and he reckoned it took 3 seaosns to make a dog into a good courser.

Towards the end of most cousing seasons, you would find Willie with a couple of good young pups, 7 – 10mnt old. These were allowed to run on the fields to the end of the cousing season, learning a little bit. The next season the pups would do abit of running so their potnential could be gauged, this also served to educate them further, ready for their third season where they’d show their mettle if they had made the grade. Willie was constantly watching various dogs looking for potential breeding stock.

Willie had started his own coursing career at the age of 3 or 4, sitting on his fathers shoulders watching dogs running. Willie came from a Romany Stock, origanally from County Durham, his family came to Lancashire in a horse drawn vardos, that’s what he told me.

In Manchester Willie founded the Manchester Equestrian Centre, his passion for horse lead him to compete in showjumping, trotting, roadracing, draghunting and foxhunting. He was the master of the Chesire Draghounds, aswell as the joint master of the Staffordshire and Moorland Foxhounds. He also rode regularly with Blankley Hunt. On one occasion i had visited him at Urmston and found him and a friend decked out in full hunting gear. They was riding around his land with a few brace of hounds. As the riders crossed a stream, Willie leant across and grabbed one of the other riders reigns whilst his mate undid the strap on the saddle. Matey ended up in the water as the two pranksters rode off laughing. Willie was very fond of practical jokes and playing tricks. He was known for having no fear of any obsticles or jumps whilst competing in showjumping events.

At Appleby Horse Fare, he could be found on the lane watching or putting horses through their pace, and in the eveneings you would find him enetertaining friends, old and new with stories and songs. He was a good singer, and many of time after a days hunting or coursing, many of us would gather at the local pub for a few jars – Willie exluded as he was teetotal,( claiming to have never tried alcohol) said each person was expected to sing a song wether thay had the voice of an angel or was tone death. Willie had the ability to bring that out in people. Normally accompanied by well known lurcher men, Billy Goulding on guitar, the range of songs he’d sing was unbelievable, the favourites always being the classic ‘The Classic Of Master Magrath’ and Billys own composition ‘The Terrier Song’.

I know many people often percieved Willie as a loud character, and to a great extent it was true. In his time hes had done abit of boxing and was not adverse to speaking his mind. On occasions it had been a case of “ jackets off"; it was also funny to see him put the gloves on when visiting and watching him sparing with the lads. Underneath the public face of ‘Willie Tough’ I knew a man of great intelligence, wit, a great thinker and orator, a man who could recite poetry and verse by hear, a man with a wealth of general knowledge, and whose company it was always interesting too be in.

I’m sure I speak for all of us who knew and loved Willie when I say the good lord created Willie and broke the mould, the Music Hall entertainer Max Miller used to have the catch phrase “there’ll never be another” and this is so very true of Willie. It seems inconceivable that a larger than life character Willie, is now gone. Our deepest sympathies are extended to his family.

• Like 17

WILLIE TOUGH REMEMBERED

BY LAL HARDY

In all ascpects of life we come across characters that are larger than life, this was never more true than in the case of Willie Tough. I first met Willie through his involvelment with the Canlender Coursing Club about eight years ago, although I heard of him long before our first introduction. Willie was well known for his running dogs, such as, Scouser, Spindles, Salty, Brag, Roxy, Ink, Midnight and of course the famous Sooner. Many of his dogs were instantly recognisable being white with red markings, and many people believe this was due to an infusion of foxhound blood, but this was not true.

Once when coursing with Willie, or the captain as he was known (this was due to his barking orders such as “ for f**k sake, get in line”, and stop talking to those who strayed out of line when walking up hares). He told me of the dogs he preferred for cousing, Saluki/Greyhound with good gear and plenty of stamina, the ability not to wait but to gauge the hare and wait to strike. Once when I was coursing with him, I was running a very fast dog which I slipped on the hare about 200yards, the dog powered up to the hare and then the hares got into its stride, the dog struck and missed, and from that moment he could never get onto terms with his puss. I had used this dog with great success in small fields, but on the fens his shortcomings were all too apparent. Willie then gave his demonstration of his type of dog and what he expected of them, he spotted a hare lobbing about in the distance and gave Sooner a monumental slip. The dog gently ran into the direction of the hare with an unhurried lope, when she was about 10yards of the hare it saw her, moved into gear, Sooner dropped in behind it almost asif she was being led by the hare. Willie pointed out that although the dog had been slipped at 3 times the length of the slip i had given my dog, unlike my hound she hadn’t raced too the hare, so her slip was in fact more like 10yards.

As we watched she settled in behind the hare before dropping a gear then accelerating and picking at her quarry, missing she then settled back in behind the hare untill the moment was right to drop a gear, accelerate, and this time it was a successful strike. I watched Sooner run in this manner numerous times, some courses running what seemed an eternity. Willie claimed he had seen dogs, as good as Sooner, run on certain terrain, but had not seen a dog that, like her; could run any terrain, run on as many hares and never pull up, and still be coursing strong at 9years old. He maintained Sooner was the best dog he had ever had, although he had a deerhound/saluki/greyhound that showed a world of promises, but this dog was killed when it was just 2years old, so he never got to find out if she was a Sooner mark 2. Bitches were a favoured by Willie rather than dogs, and he reckoned it took 3 seaosns to make a dog into a good courser.

Towards the end of most cousing seasons, you would find Willie with a couple of good young pups, 7 – 10mnt old. These were allowed to run on the fields to the end of the cousing season, learning a little bit. The next season the pups would do abit of running so their potnential could be gauged, this also served to educate them further, ready for their third season where they’d show their mettle if they had made the grade. Willie was constantly watching various dogs looking for potential breeding stock.

Willie had started his own coursing career at the age of 3 or 4, sitting on his fathers shoulders watching dogs running. Willie came from a Romany Stock, origanally from County Durham, his family came to Lancashire in a horse drawn vardos, that’s what he told me.

In Manchester Willie founded the Manchester Equestrian Centre, his passion for horse lead him to compete in showjumping, trotting, roadracing, draghunting and foxhunting. He was the master of the Chesire Draghounds, aswell as the joint master of the Staffordshire and Moorland Foxhounds. He also rode regularly with Blankley Hunt. On one occasion i had visited him at Urmston and found him and a friend decked out in full hunting gear. They was riding around his land with a few brace of hounds. As the riders crossed a stream, Willie leant across and grabbed one of the other riders reigns whilst his mate undid the strap on the saddle. Matey ended up in the water as the two pranksters rode off laughing. Willie was very fond of practical jokes and playing tricks. He was known for having no fear of any obsticles or jumps whilst competing in showjumping events.

At Appleby Horse Fare, he could be found on the lane watching or putting horses through their pace, and in the eveneings you would find him enetertaining friends, old and new with stories and songs. He was a good singer, and many of time after a days hunting or coursing, many of us would gather at the local pub for a few jars – Willie exluded as he was teetotal,( claiming to have never tried alcohol) said each person was expected to sing a song wether thay had the voice of an angel or was tone death. Willie had the ability to bring that out in people. Normally accompanied by well known lurcher men, Billy Goulding on guitar, the range of songs he’d sing was unbelievable, the favourites always being the classic ‘The Classic Of Master Magrath’ and Billys own composition ‘The Terrier Song’.

I know many people often percieved Willie as a loud character, and to a great extent it was true. In his time hes had done abit of boxing and was not adverse to speaking his mind. On occasions it had been a case of “ jackets off"; it was also funny to see him put the gloves on when visiting and watching him sparing with the lads. Underneath the public face of ‘Willie Tough’ I knew a man of great intelligence, wit, a great thinker and orator, a man who could recite poetry and verse by hear, a man with a wealth of general knowledge, and whose company it was always interesting too be in.

I’m sure I speak for all of us who knew and loved Willie when I say the good lord created Willie and broke the mould, the Music Hall entertainer Max Miller used to have the catch phrase “there’ll never be another” and this is so very true of Willie. It seems inconceivable that a larger than life character Willie, is now gone. Our deepest sympathies are extended to his family.

i really enjoyed that lal cracking read r.i.p. willie LEGEND OF COURSING .

WILLIE TOUGH REMEMBERED

BY LAL HARDY

brilliant :yes: :yes: