close call ratting

went for a morning ratting yesterday on a cattle farm , all was going well . dogs catching here and there , then a rat bolted through an empty cattle shed . the shed was open apart from a rear wall which the rat followed . the 3 dogs followed the rat about five yards in and grabbed it , next thing all then dogs collapsed and stopped breathing . it was so quick that we thought they were just stuck in the cow shit/straw , my mate dived in and threw the dogs to me , all limp and lifeless . the hearts were still beating but no other signs of life , i blew into the first dog and after a bit of shaking and rubbing he came round slowly . he was rigid at first and unstable on his feet but back breathing , we then did the same to the other two . the younger bitch second to be revived was ok but the older bitch last to be revived is still unsteady and a little disorientated this morning . after a little research i think it was a common sewer gas h2s hydrogen sulfide , according to wikipedia its produced by decomposing rotting organic matter and if present in a reasonable quantity can render the inhaler unconscious in one breath !! and obviously if not acted upon can be fatal .

spoke to the farmers boy afterwards and he said he was cleaning out the pens last week and next thing he knew he was coming round in the machine and everything was blue !! dont think he was even that concerned by it .

Close call that all right mate!

Hope the dawgs don't have any lasting damage. :thumbs:

Cheers, D.

cheers but i think the older bitch may have been out for a liitle to long , we are just watching and waiting for her to see how she gets on for the next 24hrs . according to some info the effects can be delayed by upto 72hrs , should have taken a canary

There must of been very little ventilation in the shed.It happens when the tank is been agitated and pockets of gas get released.

on that particular farm they use a powdered gyproc as bedding and it may have had a crust over a pocket of gas but until it happened i was unaware of anything like that , the shed had been empty for about a week and is essentially an open unit apart from the rear wall .

• Like 1

There must of been very little ventilation in the shed.It happens when the tank is been agitated and pockets of gas get released.

on that particular farm they use a powdered gyproc as bedding and it may have had a crust over a pocket of gas but until it happened i was unaware of anything like that , the shed had been empty for about a week and is essentially an open unit apart from the rear wall .

Say it to the farmer....