new dog

hi im looking for some advice i have a whippet that i use for ferreting but i want a larger dog for lamping as well as ferreting im tied between a bull cross or a collie cross i will not be geting it til nxt year any advice would be great ta tom

Id say depends what your runnin dont really need a bull for bunnies but then again collie x are good alrounders in the right hands that ive seen, im after a collie x myself after only really having bulls and 3 yrs out, i want a change. If its advise your after though, ive had it sound on here from very experienced people. Atb

• Like 1

hi im looking for some advice i have a whippet that i use for ferreting but i want a larger dog for lamping as well as ferreting im tied between a bull cross or a collie cross i will not be geting it til nxt year any advice would be great ta tom

If your happy with the whippet,train that to the lamp,if your thinking of widening your hunting opportunities then get a lurcher to lurcher bred pup from tested parents,the dogs ability in the field is more important than breeding,don,t be to fixated on this or that cross,just the parents ability in the field.
  • Like 2

i lamp with whippets and catch plenty rabbits as for which cross totaly depends on what your doing with it i know a few lads who have had alot of both and have seen good and bad ones in both crosses . Iv seen a few collie x's that have chosen when they wanted to perform and seen them run regularly and sat back on game and alowed another dog do the work but again iv seen dogs from the same litter as mad keen as a bullx on any game as i say its all down to what your going out for if its rabbits a small collie x and your whippets more than adiquit but only you will know what you need for your desired quarry .

ta for your advice i want a sturdier dog for lamping as the ground is very uneven and it is legal quarry im after and may b teach it to retrieve shot game thats why im thinking collie plus i like the inteligence of them. i know they can tend to pick their runs but aslong as when i start it i pick runs which nearly garrentee a catch. its my girlfriend who likes bull crosses i do like them but may be i think it might be over kill

• 3 weeks later...

What quarry will you be wanting to take? i run a single whippet and havent had a problem with anything i have came across as yet and soon i will be running 2 :thumbs: ATB

thought you just put a post (some one to take you lamping ) i think you should stick with your whippet 1st, get few rabbits with it and see if you really into all this .? A collie x or bull x can be very full on dogs, i would'nt think best choise for your 1st lurcher. go with the the dog you have and see if you still keen in dec-jan. :yes:

• Like 1