Searched high and low for eggs just no sign of anything they have a good sized area but all fenced off as there on allotment. Defiantly young birds have bought chickens from this guy before and they were excellent he is a good bloke. Never used grit as was told if they are outside they get what they need from the ground?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put a egg in 1 of the nest boxes if it disappears you'll know eggs are being taken

Searched high and low for eggs just no sign of anything they have a good sized area but all fenced off as there on allotment. Defiantly young birds have bought chickens from this guy before and they were excellent he is a good bloke. Never used grit as was told if they are outside they get what they need from the ground?

mine have the 9 acre field at the back to roam freely and I dont get the shell quality without grit,I have always used grit it helps them grind the corn up in the crop for digestion,if your ground has had chickens on before or for a while, there may not be enough,its not expensive as such,and mine get though a bag a year, I feed chicken corn not layers pellets,I am not sure I think the pellets contain some grit,but not sure never use em

atb

Darren

John if the younger 1's were bought 3 months ago and were pol then that means there still this years birds so they won't moult untill next year anyway i'd still try putting a egg in 1 of the nest boxes and if it disapears you at least know there laying all you have to do it find out whats taking em.I was always told to blow a egg out and fill it with creosote for egg eating hens 1 they don't like the taste and should stop em. 2 it stains the beak and you'll know who the egg eater is.

Have placed two eggs in the hut, been there for 3 days now and nothing has had them away. Been told it may be the stress off mixing them but through they would of settled down by now. I also have a cockeral running with them would that have anything to do with it?

I wouldn't say the cockeral would not em off lay if anything if he's treading em it should spur em on to lay.I know a lad who bought 60 pl pullets to sell the eggs at his gate he had em on kibbled maize and he hardley got a egg as soon as he put em on layers pellets they come flying out.

I always feed oyster shell and grit all the time: put it in separate heavy bowls so the chickens can't scratch it out. You'll see how much they take if you feed it separately. Also, if the bird is deficient in any sort of minerals that can put them into a long moult: if they're not getting everything they need the moult takes a long time and a lot out of the bird. Make sure they get plenty of fresh greens too: grass, spinach beet etc etc. Plus, are they getting enough water?

Also, free range birds use a lot more energy scratting about: they may need more protein. Mine love Vitalin: dog food, and tear into any meat I throw them: bits of rabbit carcase that the ferrets have finished with, the odd rack of lamb LOL

Also, have you noticed any birds getting bullied? Stress can put them off lay. Do they have enough nest boxes dotted around the place? Some birds, especially the new ones, may not feel comfortable laying where your nest boxes are situated. Are the nest boxes dark and 'safe'? I usually offer a selection of nest boxes tucked away in dark corners: lay a piece of board over a small box with an opening just big enough for the bird to get into. I've often found with free range birds that you think they've stopped laying, and suddenly you find a whole heap of eggs in the middle of a patch of stinging nettles, or in a seemingly impossible heap of rubbish.

Will start adding more variety to these diet. Was always told watch what ya give them when there on layers pellets coz everything they need is in that and extra foods can interfere with the balances. Some of the old birds do still attack the new birds but not in a way I would think would cause them stress. Is it worth separating the old from the new