Deaf pup

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

im going to be perfectly honest with you .. dont piss about ,get the pup back to the breeder( IF) it is found to be , deaf. ,and stop worryhing about future litters theres enough lurchers out there

I have agreed with the breeder to return him, to be fair to the guy i think he genuinly didnt know. Im gutted as i now have to start looking again but i cant do anything but agree with everyones comme

I don't say this lightly mate, but take the pup back to the breeder it's his responsibility, go and source another pup, it's hard enough getting a lurcher to an acceptable standard without a drawback

buying livestock , ,imotion should not come into it you have to be very clinical , .. all small fury animals look sweet;; and the arsholes selling them know that !!sad but true ,

very true mate, just wank seeing someone get f****d over AGAIN!!!!!!,,,,, :thumbs:

If it were a sheep then yeah fair do's but a dog is different. I had a 5 8 3 8 bull x that i had from 10 weeks lost her to a ditch on a deer course. Was devastated she was a cracking dog. I jacked the day she died and never had a running dog since. He is the first i bought that is why im Pretty gutted i thought nice dog nice price time to start again and i have a pbt bitch if i decide to increase my stock in a couple of years. So yeah my heart played a big part in choosing.I dont consider a running dog live stock but a companion to a sport i love.

buying livestock , ,imotion should not come into it you have to be very clinical , .. all small fury animals look sweet;; and the arsholes selling them know that !!sad but true ,

very true mate, just wank seeing someone get f****d over AGAIN!!!!!!,,,,, :thumbs:

years ago i had a pup from david hancock cut a long story short , it had a genetic form of arthritis , i got a vetenary report , i destroyed the pup , went right back to hanckoks yard with the report and demanded another pup from another litter ,, and got one .might have been 20 odd years ago now .

years ago i had a pup from david hancock cut a long story short , it had a genetic form of arthritis , i got a vetenary report , i destroyed the pup , went right back to hanckoks yard with the report and demanded another pup from another litter ,, and got one .might have been 20 odd years ago now .

i know what your saying mate, same as you know what im saying..... :thumbs:

I've read this with interest, I've had dogs 27 years and if I'm honest i wouldn't have a deaf working dog. You have to harden your heart and have a good think about it, a working dog has a tough enough life with all it's senses. What use would it be as a ferreting dog it wouldn't hear the rabbits moving underground and it's already been mentioned that it wouldn't hear traffic etc. Just a liability and accident waiting to happen in my opinion...

• Like 1

Are right there is a guy who flies pigeons that's how I met him really nice fella always has good dogs knocking about . I only moved to fax in November it was him who put me on to my pup good look at the vets to pal it must be heart breaking mine don't listen to me half the time can't imagine if it didn't listen to me at all fair play for giving it a go your braver then most including me

mate it'll drive you mad

a dog that wont listen or cant listen

will end up a nervous wreck

especially if you want a ferreting dog

whats going to happen when another dog runs upto it and scares it

it'll flight or fight, some collie bred dogs have afew funny ways about them anyway

it sounds like it's been bred to close and this is what happens

yes dogs can be trained to hand signals but you've got to be able to get its attention

and i would'nt be putting a vibrate collar on a young pup

get confermation your pups deaf and take it from there

but dont forget you've got it for the next 15yrs

• Like 1

Why do people breed merles knowing these problems :/

I would get the eyes checked too. Entropy is also common in merles, plus other sight problems.

I wouldn't consider a deaf dog a liability anymore than a hearing dogs liabilities.

Hand signals are quick and easy to teach and can be very useful when quiet is needed. And most dogs read signals than respond to vocal commands anyway.

It all depends on if you have the time and patience for the learning curve YOU need.

I have tried contacting the guy, email, phone and text. NOTHING!

you can bet he is on here and read this mate i would go back to were you got the pup and have words wish you all the best with what ever you do with the pup .
  • Like 1

It is usually merles with a lot of white on them that risk being blind or deaf.

If you want to keep the pup as a pet, then that's fine, but honestly, a pup that can't hear a thing if it is out working is in danger, as many other people have said. Deaf animals need routine, well organised lives so they can learn to expect what is happening around them. Putting a deaf dog into working situations which can change at the drop of a hat is a different matter. I've known people with deaf dogs which lead very good lives, but they weren't working dogs.

Wouldn't it depend on the level of deafness tho? If he can hear high pitched sound a whistle and hand signals should work? If he were ferreting (and this is me asking honestly) would the dog not feel the vibrations from underground when the rabbits were bolting? After all his other senses would be much more attuned. Obviously if his sight is severely impaired as well that would put paid to everything tho.

Just looking at the picture I can honestly say, pretty as he is I'd have never picked him - as Penny said, Merles with a lot of white are a much higher risk. If both parents were merle, the deck stacks right up against him.

Good on the OP tho for wanting to give him a go and do right by him. Returning him to the breeder would no doubt result in the pup being sold to someone else who probably wouldn't be as thoughtful. Personally if the dog has both severe hearing and sight problems I would have it put down.

i have'nt read the whole topic but could you use an electric collar??? as you can get them to do different settings buzz / pulse / vibrate / shock and maybe others

so if you want him / her back then you hit the vibrate and treat the pup everytime it comes back so that could over come the recall. and then all you will need is hand signals for

sit

down

stay

watch

ect

atb in what you decide to do :thumbs:

Does anyone think this would work ??