Yeah, probably looking at the wrong sites, i.e gumtree and all that junk, not had a new kit in a few years and most lads have packed up around here, traveling is not a problem for a working line of that quality.

Atb.

I tried advertising kits on Gumtree and they banned the ad for having the word working in it!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mine get on well with rabbits i have 8 kits here sucking on a rabbit carcass they love rabbits..........to pieces!!

I'm not sure what you are reading . . . . but may i suggest a change of literature?   When a ferret is scared etc, it stinks like buggery.   A good worker, really works, they are BOD's (bolt or di

Yeah, we're not all gimmicky fashion breeders like Diggermad...

I got a few ferrets of my grandad who has them given them to him from his neighbour. Apprently the little girl who owned them lost interest, so by sounds of it the ferrets had never worked or seen a rabbit in their lifetimes. Anyhow i thought i'd give them ago and try working them, the pair of them work a treat, but after alot of reasearch it turns out that its the smell of the ferret that make the rabbit bolt, not just it biting it on the backside. (ive always wondered why when i stick the ferreting down one end of the set a rabbit would bolt at the other) So what makes the better workers?

Rikki

I think some folk are just a little bit mental.

Now. . . . i have done a fair bit of ferreting in my time.

And i would say that there are some very rare occaisions, when you find a place that norabbithas ever seen a ferret, and when old stinker goes down, the rabbits do pop out like corks from a bottle, very quickly, but i have decided that this is mainly due to the fact that one rabbit encounters the ferret, panics, bolts, and the others bolt, due to becoming aware of the predetor (because it's buddy is exiting like a rocket).

If it was just the smell, thenit would be oh so easy.

But no, anyone that does a lot,will know that many,many rabbits either try to fight it out with the ferret, or give them the run around down there, or even just lie low and keep quiet, and the ferret needs to seek out and 'persuade' coney to leave home.

• Like 1

what i read (god knows where now) is that a ferret that has been victimized produces no natural smell and therefor is not as good at ferreting, its the unusall smell of the 'predator' that the rabbit can smell, apprently anyways.

Rik

And i would say that there are some very rare occaisions, when you find a place that norabbithas ever seen a ferret, and when old stinker goes down, the rabbits do pop out like corks from a bottle, very quickly, but i have decided that this is mainly due to the fact that one rabbit encounters the ferret, panics, bolts, and the others bolt, due to becoming aware of the predetor (because it's buddy is exiting like a rocket).

But no, anyone that does a lot,will know that many,many rabbits either try to fight it out with the ferret, or give them the run around down there, or even just lie low and keep quiet, and the ferret needs to seek out and 'persuade' coney to leave home.

I do agree, its just something i have personally read and have decided to share :D dont shoot the messager ! :whistling::icon_redface::hunter:

what i read (god knows where now) is that a ferret that has been victimized produces no natural smell and therefor is not as good at ferreting, its the unusall smell of the 'predator' that the rabbit can smell, apprently anyways.

Rik

I'm not sure what you are reading . . . . but may i suggest a change of literature?

When a ferret is scared etc, it stinks like buggery.

A good worker, really works, they are BOD's (bolt or die), and will scour that warren from top to bottom. Most (not all) ferrets will enter, and so bolt a few, but not all will really 'work'.

It's all in the breeding and to some extent the entering.

• Like 3

Rik

I'm not sure what you are reading . . . . but may i suggest a change of literature?

When a ferret is scared etc, it stinks like buggery.

A good worker, really works, they are BOD's (bolt or die), and will scour that warren from top to bottom. Most (not all) ferrets will enter, and so bolt a few, but not all will really 'work'.

It's all in the breeding and to some extent the entering.

Fair enough, seems like ive been reading the wrong stuff! :D

thanks for the advice and clearing that up..

ATB

Rikki

If we're any good at our job, each rabbit should only see a ferret once. So, in my opinion, those who often talk about rabbits that have seen ferrets before are talking bollocks.

Joe

• Like 2

If we're any good at our job, each rabbit should only see a ferret once. So, in my opinion, those who often talk about rabbits that have seen ferrets before are talking bollocks.

Joe

:victory:

Joe

If you bolt them to dogs and not nets by the end of the season most rabbits left on your ground will know what a ferret is and means.

Joe

If you bolt them to dogs and not nets by the end of the season most rabbits left on your ground will know what a ferret is and means.

use nets then :D

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Theres massive diffrents in a ferret and good working ferret without a doubt some ferret bloodlines are getting diluted by pet ownership like gundogs/lurchers .

What I find is a good worker can also be well handled and pet like and trust any of my best workers would never bite unless it was badly handled .

ATB Cookie ps will have some good bloodlines availble next for free if you struggle next year :thumbs: but none availbe this year I am affraid

Theres massive diffrents in a ferret and good working ferret without a doubt some ferret bloodlines are getting diluted by pet ownership like gundogs/lurchers .

What I find is a good worker can also be well handled and pet like and trust any of my best workers would never bite unless it was badly handled .

ATB Cookie ps will have some good bloodlines availble next for free if you struggle next year :thumbs: but none availbe this year I am affraid

It should go without saying that a working ferret should be well handled ... When you are up to your armpit with your hand grasping for the rabbit you have dug for the last thing you want is a ferret latching on to you ... They must trust you with the shovel and you must trust them .................

• Like 1