thanks every1 for the advice ect.. just one ting to say, i av the rotts 3years and have kept other dogs also for nearly two of them years its not that she is an aggressive dog towards other dogs actually the total opposite. in my opnion it was an attack of jeasouly as i had been spending alot of time trying to bond with the saluki and not enough time with her not condoning her actions only trying to say theres a reason everything happens. so her is my question why should she be put down for MY MISTAKES!!!

Wrong sorry.

The dog should be put down for showing enough aggression to actually kill another one of your dogs, You can`t pretend to justify this by saying the dog was jelous of your attention.

Yes it`s your fault, but not because you showed too much attention to the saluki, but the fact you allowed an aggressive dog to be kept as a pet in a situation that allowed iit to kill the Saluki.

Please don`t think I`m digging at you here, I`m not, I`m just stating it as I see it. I feel sorry for you having this happen, but you now seem to be saying that you want to keep the Rottweiler, or even pass it on, which is a big no no.

• Like 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you honestly think that it is acceptable to keep dogs which are liable to kill each other? The whole nature of 'dog' is that it is (or should be) a sociable creature. Dogs are pack animals, but w

Sorry to here that pal and you won't like to here this but that's bad management. It's an awful way to learn but learnt you have. Sorry mate.

Deffinately your own fault for not having the kennel 100% safe........ you said that they had never showed any aggression to each other so you wouldn't be expecting such a thing to happen, just wonder

thanks every1 for the advice ect.. just one ting to say, i av the rotts 3years and have kept other dogs also for nearly two of them years its not that she is an aggressive dog towards other dogs actually the total opposite. in my opnion it was an attack of jeasouly as i had been spending alot of time trying to bond with the saluki and not enough time with her not condoning her actions only trying to say theres a reason everything happens. so her is my question why should she be put down for MY MISTAKES!!!

Wrong sorry.

The dog should be put down for showing enough aggression to actually kill another one of your dogs, You can`t pretend to justify this by saying the dog was jelous of your attention.

Yes it`s your fault, but not because you showed too much attention to the saluki, but the fact you allowed an aggressive dog to be kept as a pet in a situation that allowed iit to kill the Saluki.

Please don`t think I`m digging at you here, I`m not, I`m just stating it as I see it. I feel sorry for you having this happen, but you now seem to be saying that you want to keep the Rottweiler, or even pass it on, which is a big no no.

dont worry dont tink ur digging thats just ur opnion and ur intitled to it, but i dont agree with you. put it this way two lurchers have a fight in a run one kills the other and just to spice it up its ur good lurcher that wins do you put it down??

We had a lurcher kill one of our terriers now for us the lurchers had to work along side the terriers and other dogs , we had the lurcher pts after she killed the terrier she could not be trusted she was a spiteful bitch .

So you honestly think that it is acceptable to keep dogs which are liable to kill each other? The whole nature of 'dog' is that it is (or should be) a sociable creature. Dogs are pack animals, but we keep them in unnatural conditions i.e. kennelled where they can neither show natural behaviour, nor escape to pastures new as would a dog that has been rejected by the pack.

I too have had dogs which were unsafe around other dogs, and I've had no hesitation in destroying them. Some dogs, because of man's intervention, breeding for specific traits (guarding for example), have been created to behave in unnatural ways. It is NOT natural for two normal dogs to kill each. Humans created lurchers to catch stuff, not attack other dogs. Humans created Rottweilers to guard, which also increased a certain side of canine nature to an extreme which, in the wrong hands, is a liability.

I have nothing against guarding breeds whatsoever, but they need careful and intelligent management: something you obviously ignored or had insufficient knowledge about.

There are no excuses for the dog, but not knowing you or the dog, it is hard to say whether this is entirely your fault, or if the Rotti came from unsound stock in the first place. I would imagine it could well be a combination of the two. Many inexperienced guard dog owners simply don't recognise the signs of dangerous behaviour in their dogs.

I gather you brought the lurcher in as an adult, and probably failed to integrate this dog properly into your existing set up. Rather than just spending all your time with the lurcher, you should have also been making efforts to make sure that your guard dogs accepted the new dog as part of your set-up. Though if you knew that the Rotti was jealous to the point of attack, you should have been asking yourself why the hell you didn't address this problem first, before ever thinking about getting an extra dog.

You have learned a hard lesson at the expense of a dog's extreme suffering, but it makes me mad that you seem to think that kennel fights are something which 'just happen'. Bad management, a lack of understanding of dogs in general, inability to see the beginnings of bad feelings between one dog and another, or a refusal to admit that some dogs are dangerous are the causes of such kennel fights. There are always signs, which are easy to read if you have the knowledge of canines, and it is the lack of knowledge and experience in this area which leads to these fights.

If it sounds as though I'm lecturing you, damn right I am. At least you admit your part in the whole sad event, but I feel that you are not seeing the whole picture.

I would definitely have the Rotti put down, because, as others have said, it will do it again, make no doubt about it. Once a dog has crossed the boundary of same species attack, it has indeed crossed some sort of threshold, and won't need anywhere near the same levels of provocation as it did that first time.

I had a dog which had to be separated from other dogs for its entire life after it reached the age of two years old. Keeping a dog separate like this when you have several dogs is very hard indeed in a normal set-up. It only needs for you to be absent-minded once, or for your attention to wander, and before you know it, the killing will happen again.

I really hope that you don't just learn from this experience, but that you start to look at your Rotti without the rose-tinted spectacles you seem to be wearing at the moment, and assess the wisdom of keeping a dog which you obviously cannot control. If the dog isn't safe with your other dogs when you are not around, then it doesn't deserve the label of guard dog: after all, I guess it is supposed to be guarding your other dogs?

• Like 6

Short and simple a bit like me..

Rotty PTS..your fault no excuses.

live and learn or don't bother coming on here trying to justify your actions.

you should be ashamed of yourself...that poor dog deserved a better owner than you.

you should be ashamed of yourself...that poor dog deserved a better owner than you.

f***k u mate we all make mistakes no one is perfect

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yes mammy f***k sake some decent people on ere and some proper a**e holes
  • Like 1

Wrong sorry.

dont worry dont tink ur digging thats just ur opnion and ur intitled to it, but i dont agree with you. put it this way two lurchers have a fight in a run one kills the other and just to spice it up its ur good lurcher that wins do you put it down??

thats why lads with more savvy than you keep 1 dog to one run so they have there own space and to prevent them killing each other your rotty should of been pts all this talk of keeping it or passing it on shows you have forgiven the dog or dont have the minerals to do what should of been done the day it happened i hope you have took a hard look at your set up and this accident to prevent it ever happening again

Deffinately your own fault for not having the kennel 100% safe........ you said that they had never showed any aggression to each other so you wouldn't be expecting such a thing to happen, just wonder why you had to seperate them to start with then?? It's ok for some to preach this and that but at the end of the day kennel fights DO happen, i have known dogs to live together till 5yr old and BOOM one day out the blue a full scale riot over nothing that can be seen with no warning, then the grudge lasts a lifetime!! i have an old dog here he's 15yr old and would try to kill his son first chance he got, i do seperate him from all my dogs when i'm at work but he can be walked with them all no problem.........kennel fights do and will happen, most of us can read our dogs be it just that little look in their eye or a certain posture they make BUT more than two dogs are a pack and anyone who keeps a pack all running together has or will experience some kind of upset amongst them at some point............i have a friend breeds poodles and she has had some of the worst kennel fights i've seen, all mine run together and i haven't had any problems since the old man got sent to segregation (for his own good) BUT............i do see little situations sometimes and let them have a little bitch at each other as pecking order has got to be maintained, if i bring a puppy into my pack i just take the puppy and let it outside with all of the dogs and it soon learns it's position and gets accepted, if i had to keep them all seperate from each other i'm affraid i would have one dog only as i couldn't be bothered with all the hassle, the old bugger at 15 is enough, IF i had an aggressive dog that wouldn't accept other dogs or pups and was a danger i would have it PTS without a thought !! but never say never to having a kennel fight as they do and will happen!!

• Like 4

We had a lurcher kill one of our terriers now for us the lurchers had to work along side the terriers and other dogs , we had the lurcher pts after she killed the terrier she could not be trusted she was a spiteful bitch .

Off topic and sorry to hi jack the thread :icon_redface:

Tally Ho, the pic in your Avatar, is it matey from the film Southern Comfort?

Cheers, D.

Cheers, D.

i would say it is, its the 1 arm swampy that they capture. :yes:

• Like 1

So you honestly think that it is acceptable to keep dogs which are liable to kill each other? The whole nature of 'dog' is that it is (or should be) a sociable creature. Dogs are pack animals, but we keep them in unnatural conditions i.e. kennelled where they can neither show natural behaviour, nor escape to pastures new as would a dog that has been rejected by the pack.

I too have had dogs which were unsafe around other dogs, and I've had no hesitation in destroying them. Some dogs, because of man's intervention, breeding for specific traits (guarding for example), have been created to behave in unnatural ways. It is NOT natural for two normal dogs to kill each. Humans created lurchers to catch stuff, not attack other dogs. Humans created Rottweilers to guard, which also increased a certain side of canine nature to an extreme which, in the wrong hands, is a liability.

I have nothing against guarding breeds whatsoever, but they need careful and intelligent management: something you obviously ignored or had insufficient knowledge about.

There are no excuses for the dog, but not knowing you or the dog, it is hard to say whether this is entirely your fault, or if the Rotti came from unsound stock in the first place. I would imagine it could well be a combination of the two. Many inexperienced guard dog owners simply don't recognise the signs of dangerous behaviour in their dogs.

I gather you brought the lurcher in as an adult, and probably failed to integrate this dog properly into your existing set up. Rather than just spending all your time with the lurcher, you should have also been making efforts to make sure that your guard dogs accepted the new dog as part of your set-up. Though if you knew that the Rotti was jealous to the point of attack, you should have been asking yourself why the hell you didn't address this problem first, before ever thinking about getting an extra dog.

You have learned a hard lesson at the expense of a dog's extreme suffering, but it makes me mad that you seem to think that kennel fights are something which 'just happen'. Bad management, a lack of understanding of dogs in general, inability to see the beginnings of bad feelings between one dog and another, or a refusal to admit that some dogs are dangerous are the causes of such kennel fights. There are always signs, which are easy to read if you have the knowledge of canines, and it is the lack of knowledge and experience in this area which leads to these fights.

If it sounds as though I'm lecturing you, damn right I am. At least you admit your part in the whole sad event, but I feel that you are not seeing the whole picture.

I would definitely have the Rotti put down, because, as others have said, it will do it again, make no doubt about it. Once a dog has crossed the boundary of same species attack, it has indeed crossed some sort of threshold, and won't need anywhere near the same levels of provocation as it did that first time.

I had a dog which had to be separated from other dogs for its entire life after it reached the age of two years old. Keeping a dog separate like this when you have several dogs is very hard indeed in a normal set-up. It only needs for you to be absent-minded once, or for your attention to wander, and before you know it, the killing will happen again.

I really hope that you don't just learn from this experience, but that you start to look at your Rotti without the rose-tinted spectacles you seem to be wearing at the moment, and assess the wisdom of keeping a dog which you obviously cannot control. If the dog isn't safe with your other dogs when you are not around, then it doesn't deserve the label of guard dog: after all, I guess it is supposed to be guarding your other dogs?

ok ur right gona have her pts as hard and all as its gona be as she was my very first dog but as ye all said if she done it once she will do it again :cray:

Cheers, D.

i would say it is, its the 1 arm swampy that they capture. :yes:

Your right Ray. :thumbs:

Cheers, D.

(Good film BTW)

a friend of mine has working lurcher and a gard dog the gard dog is on a chain at all times to stop him getting at anything he keeps it away from his animals cos it is a right nasty fcuker tryed having me a few times but fat and slow if that thing every got out and killed another dog he woulod shoot it where it stud shame for your sulki to go like that but no simpathy for you!

a friend of mine has working lurcher and a gard dog the gard dog is on a chain at all times to stop him getting at anything he keeps it away from his animals cos it is a right nasty fcuker tryed having me a few times but fat and slow if that thing every got out and killed another dog he woulod shoot it where it stud shame for your sulki to go like that but no simpathy for you!

u never make a mistake no?? :angel: :angel: