.177 vs .22 for hunting

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Flow. Both have their advantages over eachother from my experience of using both calibres to hunt with.   .22 being larger in frontal mass area, has the greater knock-down power thus, there is

I was always .22, bit the bullet a few months ago and went down the .177 road.I can honestly say im converted now and would never go back.If you can try a .177 give it a go, you will be surprised .

Posted Images

cubbycat did some vids on shooting a hw 100 in 22 and 177 .the 22 at 100 yards the 177 at 200 yards .I see loads of vids shooting 22 at 100 yards to prove how good they are but none at 200 yards .cubbycat did a few vids shooting at 200 yards with a 177.Also a 177 has enough enery at 100 yards to kill a rabbit .So at 60 yards it has plenty of power and accuracy.A 22 has an advantage at close range body shot.If you shoot close range in a 177 use a flat pellet .I shoot both if I had to shoot one cal only 177 for sure.

not got round to doin longer yet

http://youtu.be/oV6js2mUNvo

unrelated question

here? why do people use tin cans to shower 'power' 35 year ago we as kids were ripping through cans with a gat no less, saying wowww did yu see that? straight through! hahaha we all bout dem dare bull dogs pellets after, oooo shudders a revolasion :D

I went and picked it up this morning and all I can say is DAAAAMN its sexy! To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

I was impressed with the HW97K and the TX200 but this is in a different league. It shoots very well, hardly any recoil, very well balanced, and its the quietest springer I've ever shot.

http://www.flickr.co...N02/7447791736/

http://www.flickr.co...N02/7447781330/

http://www.flickr.co...N02/7447787006/

http://www.flickr.co...N02/7447784100/

I will post some photos of some groupings when its worn in.

Edited by Flow

Thanks, I can't stop looking at it :D

Its definitely a keeper as you say mate, hopefully hand it down to my son when he's old enough.

I have a tin of AA fields left from the HW97K, and I just ordered some Falcon Accuracy Plus to give a try. I'm not sure whet they are like though, I've never used them.

They are pretty light at 13.4 grains, but you gain an extra 50 fps over the AA Fields so it flattens out the trajectory slightly.

Any experience of them?

Edited by Flow

To be honest mate I've tried most of the big brands in springer and pcp and I always settle on the AA Diablo fields for grouping and power. Never tried the falcons though so let me know how they do mate. I could be wrong but you may find the AA pellets suit the prosport barrel better.

Thanks, I can't stop looking at it :D

Its definitely a keeper as you say mate, hopefully hand it down to my son when he's old enough.

I have a tin of AA fields left from the HW97K, and I just ordered some Falcon Accuracy Plus to give a try. I'm not sure whet they are like though, I've never used them.

They are pretty light at 13.4 grains, but you gain an extra 50 fps over the AA Fields so it flattens out the trajectory slightly.

Any experience of them?

Had Mine now a couple of weeks,

Tried RWS Superfield, Accupells, Rangemaster li's, Falcon accuracy, H & N FTT, JSB Jumbo's, and Defiant pellets.

To be honest it likes them all so far but the tightest groups i.e one holers are H & N's, Defiants, Falcons, then jumbo's,

Accupells and Li's are the same but the weakest so far is the RWS Superfields.

But i'd shoot them all to be honest as there's not much in it so far up to 30 yards, but when i get chance a full day at the Ranges

out to 55 Yards Should finalise the Winner.

Edited by Daz 7

Thanks for the tips mate.

I'm looking forward to doing some targets with it to see what the grouping like, then hunting a few bunnies when its bedded in.

What ft lbs is yours running at?

My HW97k used to stick in the spare fence panel I use to put the targets on in my garden running 11 ft lbs, this goes straight through it with the same pellets!

I don't have a chrono but will need to get it checked after its had a few pellets through it.

Mine is running at 11.5 ft lbs smack on with the heaviest pellets i got which is 15.9 gr RWS Superfield.

And 11 ft lbs with the lightest which is the Falcons at 13.43 gr but it's only had about 400 pellets through it so

not run in yet.

atvb Daz 7