.177 vs .22 for hunting

Sorry guys Ive just been out early morning corvid shooting and am only just catching up on this thread.

The truth in the matter is that a .177 is affected more in the wind that a .22.

Without going into the issue too deeply the science behind it is that a slower, bigger and heavier projectile stays in line better than a faster lighter projectile in flight and in a wind.

The mass and the density of the projectile in a .22 pellet out weighs the speed to the target of the lighter projectile in the wind.

Flow did a good demo on CGP, here is another one of 2 profiles from a .177 and .22 calibre air rifle zeroed at 24 metres and shot at a target at 40 metres in a 15 knot cross wind.

You will see that the .22 needs just over 2 mildots of windage applied to the shot where a .177 needs 2 and a half mildots windage.

Not that much difference really (half mildot) but you see the slower, heavier projectile is better in the wind BUT both shots needs to have this windage applied or both calibres will miss the target.

As Ive already said both are as good as each other and the best thing to do is make a list of pro's and con's and then make up your mind.

Here this may help Flow:

.177 Pro's

Cheaper pellets

Flatter trajectory for lamping where range estimation is difficult

Easier to get good results with

Used more in HFT

.177 Con's

Affected slightly more by the wind

Less stopping power due to small surface area and its lower mass

Can over penetrate at closer distances causing woundings and then slower deaths out of the shooters sight

Generally less shots per charge in a pcp

.22 Pro's

Huge stopping power compared to the .177

Just as accurate as a .177 pellet at max ranges if used in conjunction with a LRF

More shots per charge in a pcp

Less recoil in a springer than a .177 springer

.22 Con's

More expensive pellets

Loopy parabolic trajectory compared to a .177

Needs greater attention to combo calibration than a .177 if you really want to push the ranges

ATVB

Si.

post-2627-0-35361800-1340520550.jpg

post-2627-0-06036600-1340520554.jpg

Edited by zini

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Flow. Both have their advantages over eachother from my experience of using both calibres to hunt with.   .22 being larger in frontal mass area, has the greater knock-down power thus, there is

I was always .22, bit the bullet a few months ago and went down the .177 road.I can honestly say im converted now and would never go back.If you can try a .177 give it a go, you will be surprised .

Posted Images

Thanks Si.

I will probably really like it in either calibre TBH, which makes making the final decision even harder :hmm:

I will let you know what I order tomorrow.

Edited by Flow

cubbycat did some vids on shooting a hw 100 in 22 and 177 .the 22 at 100 yards the 177 at 200 yards .I see loads of vids shooting 22 at 100 yards to prove how good they are but none at 200 yards .cubbycat did a few vids shooting at 200 yards with a 177.Also a 177 has enough enery at 100 yards to kill a rabbit .So at 60 yards it has plenty of power and accuracy.A 22 has an advantage at close range body shot.If you shoot close range in a 177 use a flat pellet .I shoot both if I had to shoot one cal only 177 for sure.

not got round to doin longer yet