Braid or mono

I use mono at the moment but i am getting into lure fishing alot more, most people use braid with lure's but i am not sure wether to change over or not, just bought about 20 lure's, so it's getting a bit silly the amount you end up with, the newer one's are a bit bigger to what i usually use, that's why i am thinking of going over to braid, as there is no stretch and you feel more in touch and in control i suppose, anyone on here changed over and found any problem's, has anyone gone back to mono, and why, just after a bit of info, pro's and con's, thank's. :thumbs:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

braid all the way. bite detection is better. plus you can use a high breaking strain.i use 60lb breaking strain . as i fish the river and alot of snags. i save alot of lures using 60lb braid. just yan

i think power pro probably best on the market.and remember you guys that dont know alway put sum mono on first to stop the braid slipping on the spool of a multiplier and use a double grinner knot .

mono for too many years, went to braid and it felt good but no stretch/give so after a few months went back to mono. try getting into a snag at long distance, not only do you loose the end tackly but

braid all the way. bite detection is better. plus you can use a high breaking strain.i use 60lb breaking strain . as i fish the river and alot of snags. i save alot of lures using 60lb braid. just yank em out of the snags''sometimes straightening the hooks. but hey lures are expensive''lol

you have 20 lures ya say. someway behind me then i have over 200 lol. fockin stupid i know as i tend to use the same half a dozen all the time.

• Like 2

I have just got 20 new lure's, i have about 80, but like you said i use the same one's regular, i was thinking 50lb power pro, it sound's overkill but as said you can straighten hook's if you get snagged, i use mono at the moment 15lb tied to a 28lb wire trace, about 18in long, do you keep the trace the same length and strength with braid, thank's. :hmm:

mono for too many years, went to braid and it felt good but no stretch/give so after a few months went back to mono.

try getting into a snag at long distance, not only do you loose the end tackly but with the price of good braid :cray:

• Like 1

Not tried braid myself, but ive heard from other folk who have taken the plunge it's not meant to be the wonder product that some will tell you it is. It's got just as many pros and cons as mono, just different ones. Then there's the price..

Not tried braid myself, but ive heard from other folk who have taken the plunge it's not meant to be the wonder product that some will tell you it is. It's got just as many pros and cons as mono, just different ones. Then there's the price..

Stick to what you know :yes:

says he that cant send a fecking email :icon_redface:

Guest bullterrier

billy i have a reel here with braid on only use it when fishing a feeder at range for the likes of bala lake the mono out now is that good now that i know people who will not use braid now but for lure fishing and sea fishing from the boat you can feel every knock as there is no streach in the braid and you have to play a fish with abit more care. :thumbs: ..john

• Like 1

ive started using braid but have found that when your casting and retreiving lighter lures it can cause bad line lay which then causes a bad tangle next cast.[ or maybe its my shit casting. lol]I tend to only use braid when bait fishing or when spinning sand eels with a two ounce bomb. i stick to mono for lure fishing

If it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing, i will stick with the mono for now, the lure fishing has been ok with mono, it was just alot of lure angler's swear by it, i'll stick to what i know best, until it stop's working, thank's for all reply's, it did help. :signthankspin::thumbs:

• Like 1

I use braid for deadbaiting and find it spot on, not too keen on it for float fishing though, not sure if it's me or not but It seems to make the float move around more than mono.