I have commented in a buzzard thread in the general area, and to be fair I am looking a proper tit as the dicussion goes on. I was just wondering if many people on here can comment on how common it is for a buzzard to take a pheasant, because I have grown up under the assumption that this isn't common at all, based on falconry experience and just general conversation.

Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

buzzards are lazy b*sttards as you will know from your falconry expierences. they will take an easy meal anyday and release pens afford these easy meals the same as our road networks

Dont worry you dont sound arsey just f*****g silly. I can assure you that owls are not on the keepers "bird to worry about list"...as i've said they can do damage and alot of damage in one night but t

Thing is if you have small fen type birds such as I have an adult cock struggles to get to 2lb buzzard has no problem taking them but if you had a pure black neck going around 4lb then matey might jus

i find a lot of carcasses around the pens on the land where i rough shoot(i dont shoot near the pens obviously) all seem to have their guts still in them but the choice bits have been removed im told by the keeper this is characteristic of buzzards taking them

Edited by hunter1372

i find a lot of carcasses around the pens on the land where i rough shoot(i dont shoot near the pens obviously) all seem to have their guts still in them but the choice bits have been removed im told by the keeper this is characteristic of buzzards taking them

Were these adult birds? Were they plucked at all too? I know they take young birds when they can and definitely capable of rabbits but I am now really unsure on their ability to take phessies adults regularly.

Were these adult birds? Were they plucked at all too? I know they take young birds when they can and definitely capable of rabbits but I am now really unsure on their ability to take phessies adults regularly.

buzzards are lazy b*sttards as you will know from your falconry expierences. they will take an easy meal anyday and release pens afford these easy meals the same as our road networks :thumbs:
  • Like 2

They dont often take adult birds, you are correct in saying that. Its the damage they do before that stage though........ :thumbs:

Dunno about pheasants, but last summer i witnessed buzzard taking leverets

i witnessed one try to take hare and got a right kicking for its trouble :laugh: :laugh: i belive it thought it was a rabbit as it came over a low hedge :laugh:

They dont often take adult birds, you are correct in saying that. Its the damage they do before that stage though........ :thumbs:

Do you reckon it is the odd persistent bird, or if that bird 'disappeared' and another pair moved in would they still do it? Because that is really all I was trying to say in the other thread before I started doubting myself, is that simply because there are so many buzzards another can just move in and it would be an endless cycle until their numbers were back down again. I have seen impressive pheasant pens though with double fences with about 6' inbetween, would that stop them being shocked to death? I am just trying to get my head around the problem now and see if there is a win-win solution.

I bet the goshawks are accountable for more than the buzzards by a long way. . . maybe buzzards are caught scrounging the carion from gos's kills more than they actually take themselves.. there lazy and slow..

Do you reckon it is the odd persistent bird, or if that bird 'disappeared' and another pair moved in would they still do it? Because that is really all I was trying to say in the other thread before I started doubting myself, is that simply because there are so many buzzards another can just move in and it would be an endless cycle until their numbers were back down again. I have seen impressive pheasant pens though with double fences with about 6' inbetween, would that stop them being shocked to death? I am just trying to get my head around the problem now and see if there is a win-win solution.

100% no its not 1 or 2 persistent birds as problem birds 'disappear' as you say. Even the best pens with maximum ground cover has to have feed rides and sunny ares and thats where you'll find your kills. The spar' uses the feed rides to swoop in fast and kill. I see folk saying the buzzard is lazy, yes it is, but it doesn't need to do much in a pen full of inexperienced poults, it just drops on top of them in seconds.

100% no its not 1 or 2 persistent birds as problem birds 'disappear' as you say. Even the best pens with maximum ground cover has to have feed rides and sunny ares and thats where you'll find your kills. The spar' uses the feed rides to swoop in fast and kill. I see folk saying the buzzard is lazy, yes it is, but it doesn't need to do much in a pen full of inexperienced poults, it just drops on top of them in seconds.

you should know mate the cure for all our problems is to just net the pens!!! :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :D :D :D :D