Pike fishing on Windermere

Has anybody spent any time pike fishing Windermere,what I am trying to find out is where I could launch my little boat, where's the best place to fish, best method, I prefere lure fishing but willing to try dead baits, I have no knowledge of the lake as such, any info would be great,

• 4 weeks later...

I used to launch my kayak from the "ferry nab" which is on the east side, about half way up. I only used to go up there for the day and you buy a permit at the ferry nab. Plenty of parking to. I cant remember how much it was to launch but I think it was less than a fiver.

Plenty of brown trout in there as well as pike, and there is another fish, which name escapes me at the moment the locals all go after.

I used to launch my kayak from the "ferry nab" which is on the east side, about half way up. I only used to go up there for the day and you buy a permit at the ferry nab. Plenty of parking to. I cant remember how much it was to launch but I think it was less than a fiver.

Plenty of brown trout in there as well as pike, and there is another fish, which name escapes me at the moment the locals all go after.

Char

Ferry nab is the only launch point on the lake now , you can still get day permits I think , rather than registering for a year , depending on how big your boat is , I can let you know if thete is anywhere else suitable for launching.

Pike are hard to catch on windermere , beacause of the sheer size of the lake , esthwaite water and coniston are easier , esthwaite is hire boat only , coniston is far more accesable

Char

Ferry nab is the only launch point on the lake now , you can still get day permits I think , rather than registering for a year , depending on how big your boat is , I can let you know if thete is anywhere else suitable for launching.

Pike are hard to catch on windermere , beacause of the sheer size of the lake , esthwaite water and coniston are easier , esthwaite is hire boat only , coniston is far more accesable

Superb, thanks for that I would only be launching a small 14 foot aliminium boat with a seagull outboard engine,what are the pike like in coniston,???whats it like launching there I havn't fished for pike for 10 yr so I am rusty, but was going to have ago end of summer I am at ulswater in two wk for 8 days where I will try for the trout and perch,I have some permission there so can launch boat no bother,but it never seems to do much,for me you have to know how to fish it they say,

From what I know (as i'm no fisherman!), speaking over the years to Lakeland fishermen, Pike are a difficult catch on big water like Windermere. As said Char are 'the' fish locals most prize, still a bloody difficult catch i'm told but local to the area so well worth the effort. Ullswater is the best of the lakes for Char i'm told.

Guest bullterrier

also remember if your using dead baits its sea dead baits only if your caught with freshwater dead baits you;ll find yourself in big trouble as your baits and boat with be checked if they think you are using course fish as bait :thumbs: john

• Like 1

Any of the small bays on ulswater fish well on the fly , very small black flies this time of year , or trolling small spinners on the line between shallow and deeper water.

Char fishing is a skill of its own , but very satisfying when you do get one .

Coniston pike are good , dont get as big as winderemere ones , but you can expext doubles

• 3 weeks later...

caught charr on wast water many times years ago. could never find out if fishing is really allowed. got told it was free fishing also had national trust rangers trying to move you on saying fishing was not allowed on the lake.caught some nice trout on wast water also eels all on red worm ledgered.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of the small bays on ulswater fish well on the fly , very small black flies this time of year , or trolling small spinners on the line between shallow and deeper water.

Char fishing is a skill of its own , but very satisfying when you do get one .

Coniston pike are good , dont get as big as winderemere ones , but you can expext doubles

Hi mate thanks for that,just come back weather been poor to say the least,managed a few brownies trolling on Ulswater,not bad to say I have never trolled before the little boat was good old seagull pushed us around well,need to work out this trolling game a bit better and I might have a go at char if I can find any info on catching them,

Cheers

Darren