Puppy has become very disabediant ....

All of a sudden my pup has almost completely changed ... Is this common ?? She will be 8 months old on the 18th of June , her retreive was excellent , her recall was excellent , now it's like I've never taught her anything when I call her in the garden she just lays down and wags her tail and runs off or just completely blanks me , is this fairly common in pups of her age , really getting frustrated with it , by the way she is ... Sal/grey x sal/deer/bull-collie-grey cheers

Mine went through about 3 stages where she was an absolute arsehole! For a while I really had trouble even getting her to want to be around me, shed run away then just as I got in close enough to leash her up she's run off again haha then the next minute she was my best buddy and do anything I asked. I just persevered and kept my cool even though at times I wanted to hoof her over a hedge an leave her there!! I also upped her exercise and let her get involved in bits and bobs hunting wise.

She's just over one now and although a bit rusty sometimes she's coming on well.

Atb J

All of a sudden my pup has almost completely changed ... Is this common ?? She will be 8 months old on the 18th of June , her retreive was excellent , her recall was excellent , now it's like I've never taught her anything when I call her in the garden she just lays down and wags her tail and runs off or just completely blanks me , is this fairly common in pups of her age , really getting frustrated with it , by the way she is ... Sal/grey x sal/deer/bull-collie-grey cheers

just out of interest have you told her off for something or slapped her ??? cause that also could be a issue

I had the same phase with my old lurcher and unfortunately I didn't know how to handle him and f****d him up completely.

I believe its a phase most pups go through. Just be patient and try to bond through it.

I got wound up, shouted at him and smacked him etc and he just got worse and worse.

All the best. Gaz.

Mine is doing the same thing :laugh: its meant to be a saluki trait, keep your cool and dont give up hope

i have a sal/bul/grey x sal and have had the same issues , patients and calmness is the key . no work just wait for the phase to pass , i found completely ignoring the dog got her interest . i think she maybe though she was in charge and by following/chasing and trying to catch her up was me approaching her and being subordinate , so i just gave up and thought bollocks to this and left her to it , her attitude to me changed and alls much better now (about 11mths at the moment) . skycat said in a previous article that most have a f##k you stage around the 7-12 mth age . good luck :thumbs:

No I haven't smacked her shel get the odd tap on the nose but nothing major , the worst I can think of was had to get her by the scruff and literally drag her to her kennel but usually one word and she would fly in there , I'd started treat training and then stopped for a while and she was fine I'm going to buy some bits today and see if I can pull her out of this poxy stage

The teenage phase.

Plenty of fun and stimulation when she is being good. Be boring and ignore her when she is being disobedient.

Because you see, negative attention ie; chasing her, shouting etc when she is naughty is still attention, something which she craves at this age. Take away any attention of any kind at this stage and she will soon learn she only gets it when she is complying with you. But you must remember to give her loads of attention and praise when she is simply just behaving nicely, otherwise in her head what is the point in being with you, doing what you ask, you are boring and i can find better fun elsewhere.

• Like 2

No I haven't smacked her shel get the odd tap on the nose but nothing major , the worst I can think of was had to get her by the scruff and literally drag her to her kennel but usually one word and she would fly in there , I'd started treat training and then stopped for a while and she was fine I'm going to buy some bits today and see if I can pull her out of this poxy stage

Start again. This time use HIGH VALUE food items such as bits of sausage or bacon. Dont let her know youve got it, take her out for a walk, call her as you usually do. If she ignores you she gets nothing. The first time she comes back give her plenty of fuss and a bit of sausage. Wait 15 mins - half hour then call her again. It might take a few times but very soon she will be RUNNING back everytime you call her.

pups drive is kicked in , treats will only get attention because there is nothing else exciting about , ball or tug training appeals to its drive

• Like 1

My 9month old lurcher is the same. She was great from a young age but then changed recently.

I have been using a long line (that I had for my horse) to use on the dog. I would just let the line drop behind her and use rewards like chicken sausage etc and reward her everytime she came close then reduce it to only when I recalled her..which seems to be working.