lurcher and terrier kennelled together

just wondering has any one managed to kennel a bull lurcher bitch and a mixed bred terrier bitch together they are 16 and 13 weeks if not want did you do was wondering whether muzzling them both when they reach 6 to 7 months old

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't even think of muzzling the pups, now or at any other time. Muzzles should only be used for short periods of time, even the ones which allow dogs to drink. Dogs can't show natural behaviour if th

id separate them mate, otherwise in a couple of months you could have a dead terrier

Seperate them now and save the chance of an accident later on,if a lurcher and terrier decide to have a fall out in the kennel,by the time you get to them,the little fella could be done for.

just wondering has any one managed to kennel a bull lurcher bitch and a mixed bred terrier bitch together they are 16 and 13 weeks if not want did you do was wondering whether muzzling them both when they reach 6 to 7 months old

Seperate them now and save the chance of an accident later on,if a lurcher and terrier decide to have a fall out in the kennel,by the time you get to them,the little fella could be done for.
  • Like 1

Sorry to hijack abit but is this the same with all lurchers? Or jus the ones with bull in them? I'm only asking as I'm looking for a lurcher now and I was going to kennel it with my terrier, thanks and sorry for hijacking.

Better seprate mate more bother than its worth kenneling dogs up together!

Always need to separate them when feeding, when in season, fight over a bone or fight over the space in the kennel.

I tried kenneling a labrador bitch thats soft as shite and a really easy going lurcher bitch that dont even look at another dog. They lasted two days and labrador was back in the house lol

Don't even think of muzzling the pups, now or at any other time. Muzzles should only be used for short periods of time, even the ones which allow dogs to drink. Dogs can't show natural behaviour if they are muzzled, they can't itch themselves, and they certainly can't chew bones etc. Pups especially need to chew a lot: it stops them getting bored in a kennel, and helps keep them calm, quite apart from the fact that when they are teething they really need to chew: rawhide chews are best for teething pups. If you can't keep them separate then get rid of one. I'm trying to be really nice in the way that I'm saying this and you obviously don't realise the implications of keeping a dog permanently muzzled: basically, it would be very unkind to any dog to keep it muzzled in a kennel.

Edited to add: I would NEVER kennel a lurcher and terrier together, no matter how well they might seem to get on. It only takes for the terrier to upset the lurcher one day and you then have dead terrier, or a badly damaged one, and probably a lurcher who can't be trusted round small dogs again.

Edited by skycat
  • Like 3

i am not saying you can kennel them together but i have got a jrt in with my collie x lurcher and they have been together for 2-3 years (not from pups) with no probs terrier is a bitch and lurcher a dog but i wood not with a bullx i split the kennel but when i did the terrier just yaped all night so i put her back with the lurcher the kennel and run are a good size for 2 dogs

i am not saying you can kennel them together but i have got a jrt in with my collie x lurcher and they have been together for 2-3 years (not from pups) with no probs terrier is a bitch and lurcher a dog but i wood not with a bullx i split the kennel but when i did the terrier just yaped all night so i put her back with the lurcher the kennel and run are a good size for 2 dogs

my dad had a terrier and lurcher yrs ago kenneled seperate but one night when putting them away they both went in same run without him noticing next morning 2 very poorly dogs terrier had no skin or fur on its head and lurcher had 2 bones for front legs legs just a accident but both dogs very lucky so i think its a bad idea but so is kenneling any 2 dogs together

To the people that say don't kennel terrier and lurcher together, is that just for an outdoor kennel (i.e. confined space), or would you apply the same rule for dogs that are kept in the house? Obviously you wouldn't feed them together, or leave toys or chews out. But kept in the same house with plenty of room, would that be OK?

my bullx and staff live together inside and they have had a few fights, i'm moving the bullx outside in a couple of weeks and would not keep her together with a little terrier but i'm getting a half cross bitch soon which will be kept with her.

Never had a problem with terrier or lurcher kenneled together or 2 lurcher's together but have had problem's with terrier and terrier together if you aint sure dont do it i would say,i do judge which dog's i put together though very carefully so far i must of just been lucky :laugh:

Problem is that terriers don't necessarily see lurchers as bigger and stronger than they are, so if there's an argument over the best spot to lie, the best bed etc. the terrier, being a terrier, may well decide to defend what it thinks is its right to lie where it wants to. Now if the lurcher is a softie, and not prone to bagging the best places, there may be no problem. But you can't really generalise: it all depends on the individuals in question, their place in the pack, and their temperaments.

My old lurcher loved the terrier she'd worked with all her life: they were a team out foxing, and happily shared a sofa together in the house when the terrier retired, BUT it doesn't always work like that. Terriers generally have short fuses, and a growl to tell the lurcher not to snuggle up in the same bed could lead to the lurcher retaliating. The terrier answers back with a snap, and if it connects, the lurcher may take serious action. My old terrier wasn't like that at all: she was very submissive and loved cuddling up to another dog, but only the old lurcher tolerated her doing this. The others wouldn't have the terrier near them, and they'd growl her away if she came near their beds. She respected that, and after all, she did have the best place in the room because she was on the old lurcher's sofa, and that lurcher was top dog.

Generally, I wouldn't risk it, but only the owner can really know their own dogs, though a lot of people don't see the warning signs of stress or tension until it is too late.

For example: say the terrier is lying quietly in its bed somewhere, the lurcher wants the bed, and goes and stands over the terrier, willing it to get out. What does the terrier do? Growl? Get out of the bed? Ignore the lurcher completely? In which case, what does the lurcher then do? Lie on the terrier? Walk away?

Watch the body language: does the terrier put its ears back when the lurcher approaches it? Does it turn its eyes away? Or does it stare right at the lurcher? Staring straight at another dog can be a challenge.

You need to watch the interaction between your dogs all the time, every day, to really understand the dynamics of the pack: and two dogs are a pack. Dogs are never, or very seldom, equal to one another. Some dogs can go on for years grumbling and fronting each other out with no real action, until one day something snaps in one of them, and you have a fight on your hands. No matter how hard a terrier is, a lurcher can kill it easily if it wants to, especially a lurcher which is used to actually killing stuff that bites back.

The sex of the dogs can also play a part. Generally, entire dogs will be bosses over bitches, though it may appear that the bitches are supreme a lot of the time, dogs usually claim the best beds etc for themselves. I would never leave entire dogs together under any circumstances, particularly if you keep bitches as well. Bitches coming into season can cause a lot of tension among the males. Whilst lurchers are generally a lot more laid back about sex, terriers can be pretty feisty: so say you have a lurcher bitch, and a lurcher dog, and a male terrier, all living in the same house: watch out if the bitch is thinking of coming in season.

Neutered animals generally live together much more peacefully than entire animals as there is no sexual tension amongst them. But, once again, it doesn't always work like that, and some dogs may appear to hold a grudge for reasons you don't even know. Suppose one dog has barged the other getting through a door way: the dog that got barged, maybe slammed against the door frame and hurt, may well be harbouring resentment, which in time, may boil over over something entirely unnconnected.

Understanding the interaction of the dogs is the most important thing when making dogs live together, and even in a whole house, they can't necessarily get away from each other.

Edited by skycat
  • Like 1