trout on a lure

Good film mate, looks a lovely place to be. would be good with the fly on there.

The fly is what I usually use, upstream dry, or nymph, but the himalayan balsam and knotweed has put a stop to that except for the places where it is shallow enough for waders. I only use a little 6ft fly rod, and there are still places where it is not to bad.

For a large stretch of the river, at least one bank is man made, as a result of all the old cotton mills and other industry that has long gone, so is quite deep in places.

The spinner is more for a quick 10 minutes on the way home from work, or when I am with the kids!

How much do you pay to fish that stream if you don't mind me asking ? Looks a gem of a place, just the place to be crawling about with a 6 foot 3 weight rod.

A good late mayfly hatch today though, the river was covered in them!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here's an old trout i caught down the local DISCO bait i used was a few shandies

Went out on our little river yesterday, only had the one, as they were going mad for the fly, but made a clip of it if you are interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRTDRc_VYo

All these would work, mepps is great, i like to fish them upstream. I like the tobys better when there is a little colour in the water, not good to fish upsteam although my kinked ones will fish upstr

Posted Images

Good film mate, looks a lovely place to be. would be good with the fly on there.

The fly is what I usually use, upstream dry, or nymph, but the himalayan balsam and knotweed has put a stop to that except for the places where it is shallow enough for waders. I only use a little 6ft fly rod, and there are still places where it is not to bad.

For a large stretch of the river, at least one bank is man made, as a result of all the old cotton mills and other industry that has long gone, so is quite deep in places.

The spinner is more for a quick 10 minutes on the way home from work, or when I am with the kids!

How much do you pay to fish that stream if you don't mind me asking ? Looks a gem of a place, just the place to be crawling about with a 6 foot 3 weight rod.

Buggar, not sure what happens there ! See second to last paragraph ! Bloody iPad !

i spent a few hours on bank with my kids today, its there last day of the hols an they insisted we went fishing, they both started off using bubble float an fly an caught a few brownies each, 1/2 hour before we left i let the daughter change to a wee plug an she caught a 6lb chub, gutted me camera is still away getting fixed :censored: still was a cracking day an they both caught a few so hopefully it keeps them intrested :D:thumbs:

Edited by reddawn

Buggar, not sure what happens there ! See second to last paragraph ! Bloody iPad !

Free to fish with EA licence.

And yea my usual rod on here is a greys 6ft #3 !

i spent a few hours on bank with my kids today, its there last day of the hols an they insisted we went fishing, they both started off using bubble float an fly an caught a few brownies each, 1/2 hour before we left i let the daughter change to a wee plug an she caught a 6lb chub, gutted me camera is still away getting fixed :censored: still was a cracking day an they both caught a few so hopefully it keeps them intrested :D:thumbs:

Bet they all enjoyed it! Our local river was crawling with kids worming on their last day aswell!

Bet they all enjoyed it! Our local river was crawling with kids worming on their last day aswell!

they loved it mate, what a way to spend the last day of summer hols, my lad has had a good few fish over these past 6 weeks but my daughter got her 1st few today an topped it off way the chub, to say i was a wee bit jealous is an understatement lol

abu droppen blade spinners were killers on the trout when i was into my spinning dont think they make em now but last time i looked there was still a few about on flea bay.

I dont know why but I find the abu droppens have to be going faster through the water than the mepps, to spin properly.

This is a few of the types of lures i use for trout, sea trout and in bigger sizes Salmon. The toby type lures i make myself, the kinked lures i made myself, they have a different action than the toby.

flys003.jpg

Nice work there Cumbrian, what would you recommend for small sea trout, say 3lbish ? Hypothetically fishing in a smallish sea pool. I'm thinking Mepps ?

All these would work, mepps is great, i like to fish them upstream. I like the tobys better when there is a little colour in the water, not good to fish upsteam although my kinked ones will fish upstream and also the little metal devon is good upsteam, i was fishing a 1" one upsteam one day for trout and as i always have polariods on to watch for fish chasing and turning away i managed to see a grilse chasing the devon downsteam when the lure got level with me the current whipped it round i saw the flash of its mouth and then felt its weight, was a gtreat fight on light gear was about 7lb. Things like this live with you forever.

• Like 2

good bait for brownies are salted minnows , make a minnow bottle if you know how and if you get some minnows drench them with salt and leave them out in the sun until completly dry and smelly , use a decent sized hook and cast out with a weight , never caught brownies under a pound using these they go crazy for them.

good bait for brownies are salted minnows , make a minnow bottle if you know how and if you get some minnows drench them with salt and leave them out in the sun until completly dry and smelly , use a decent sized hook and cast out with a weight , never caught brownies under a pound using these they go crazy for them.

I would agree mate, a lot of big trout are caught when deadbaiting for pike.