starting a dog on fox pre ban

I think it helps a young dog to have another one show it the ropes.

But I suppose everyone enters dogs different and will have different opinions. :thumbs:

it does help but not to many. thats what i want to hear what people think :thumbs:

danny i seen a lad give them double up then he got rid of 1 of them sliped on a fox and the other 1 run slowed down and started to look back for company.

my young bitch was doubled up until after xmas and has no problem now single and is working around the hole as well .as you said it can happen.seen a young dog being entered at 13 months single by a friend and once the dog got a bit of teeth he started barking back at it that was 10 years ago. the chap wouldn't listen and tough he new it all and the dog never made a fox dog

this lad gave his them doubled up to much it was a long time ago but it happens. :thumbs:
  • Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The whole thing about running a young dog who hasn't seen much action and has only caught rabbits, is the fact he is running Cold Blooded, by that i mean in his head he's not coming out of his corner

Define "softie" for me mate...coz some of the best fox dogs ive ever seen have been as soft as shite regarding everything bar foxes..atb stabba

the way you describe a soft dog is the way i would describe a neglected beaten dog,scared of its own shadow cowers when shouted at,a soft dog to me is a well mannerd dog out of the field,good with kid

Start them on cubs!!!! An at least 18 months old, if they are any good they wont look back!! Of course they would be out winter be for watching the dogs do there job. Thats how ive seen all my family member dogs do the job. CWN-HELA

Guest joball

all ways end on a win ....look at joball`s dog that gets helped out lol

If I had to help my dogs out they wouldn't be in my kennels few lads have seen my dogs run this season and they aint shown me up, quite the opposit (thank fuk lol)

all ways end on a win ....look at joball`s dog that gets helped out lol

If I had to help my dogs out they wouldn't be in my kennels few lads have seen my dogs run this season and they aint shown me up, quite the opposit (thank fuk lol)

scars mean feck all that dog in your avater looks a broken dog ......is it lol

i dont like to start any of mine till they are 18 mths on them red ones then still do duoble them up for first year but that was just me and all mayed good dogs

So it take's ye 30 month's to get yourself a single handed fox dog :icon_eek: what if the fecker jack's after a month of running single :laugh: after all it has had help for 12 month's would it be the dog's fault or the owner's that 1 :hmm:

After a few doubled up start slipping single handed(if the the dog is the right age size and type) and if they are taking to the job in hand leave them to it ,but if they are making a meal of it then maybe let the other dog on,and keep slipping single handed and trying them with the other dog on stand by for a couple more times and if they still cant handle it they might not make a single handed dog

I think we have seen enough input into this topic to ascertain that a young dog is best served when slipped with another older dog. Correct??

I really cant understand why a person would want to even consider slipping a young dog on a red single, and yet I know of many who still practice this, to me the only out come of slipping a young dog single is you end up with a rabbit dog. Am I missing something in relation to doing them single???

Edited by Irish Lurcher