dog hunting on after lamps gone off.

Hi folks I am an absolute beginner when it comes to lamping with a dog ,my lurcher has had a few rabbits during the day and has caught a couple at night but once the he has missed one and then I turn off the lamp he just carries on running and he f**ked off for half an hour the other night, any advice would be greatfully receieved on how to help stop this as it's a royal pain in the arse.

cheers Phil

p.s. looking at some of the comments left on other posts in this forum if you haven't got anything usefull to say please don't derail this thread as it is a genuine request for some help. thanks Phil

go back to training mate, get the recall right in the day 1st, then do the same in the night . With recall in the night, put the dog in the stay walk few yards , then flick the lamp on by your foot then call in . If ok just try more distance say 20 yds, if still ok great . do this for evey night for a week forget about rabbits get this spot on 1st. Even when good with recall i still give few in the night just to keep them in tune with you. You got get this right, it might take a while but keep at it , there no point in lamping with it till you got it right..! You got plenty of time for rabbits in the season, keep at this and you will get there . :thumbs:

n7-1.jpg

• Like 3

good advice from bird, recall has to be spot on mate. my pup ran about a bit first few times out which i put down to his age and the excitment of chasing, hes quickly learnt that the beam is the only place to be to make a catch. i no longer have to shine the beam at my feet he cant get back quick enough now when lamp goes off cos he knows we lamp as a team- me/him/lamp. (i try not to take him where there are rabbits daytime yet as i mainly want to use him on lamp) two different forms of hunting if you think about it.ie using his nose and ears to find during day whereas at night he aint going to have much success without you and the lamp. just to add that this is my first go at lamping with a dog so im learning through my mistakes at the same time as the dog too. good luck - sesku

Just my input thinking having a recall during the day with no prey about to a recall at night with lots off prey and smells on the ground.

Bring the dog out on the lamp on land where there only be only one or two rabbits in each field so the dog has nothing to hunt up.

Hunting up on the lamp can be a nightmare if it not kicked inn the butt sooner rather then later.

Try get out with an older dog that is on the lamp so the other dog can watch and learn.

One word for you PATIENCES

• Like 1

my mate had same trouble with his dog he kept him in for a few weeks in the day and took him out at night he came allright in the night

yeah this was my dog and he used to do that all the time and you would end up shouting to him and scaring everything in the field so would have to move on to the next then but we just as said above kept him in and when we went back out on lamp we had 2 bitches with us and we let them run a couple of times first so that he could see them returning when the lamp was off and that was it he got the jist of it then atb with him though mate it is hard at first especially when you have to shout for them it does dant you having to do it and then move as there nothing left where u were but when he gets it its all worth the work :)

yeah its very hard to knock this out of a dog but go back to basics and if tat dont work after that its either get rid or put up with it but not many would,because i wouldnt mate..a dog running off for half an hour is taking the piss....cheers

A lot of owners train their dogs during the day only,recall,retrieve,jumping etc.If you want the dog for lamping you will be better prepared if you also undertake the same training in the dark.The dog is more confident and less inquisitive,you will still get the dog hunting lost runs,but the more runs it gets the sooner it will learn to return,to run again.

• Like 1

It the day time mate. I tried it with my pup and he played up abit after on the lamp do iv scrapped daytime for now an just walk him where there's no rabbits if there are I'm very strict with him. Say if he runs off I don't let him snoop around for the sake of it he has to be to heal or on game. Or playing with the other dogs dunno how others do it but works for him and me