dog hunting on after lamps gone off.

how can you get a 10 month old to stay by heel when out on walks?

Familiarity of words same as like sit stay ect, iffy first I'd lead him and if he was walking ahead I'd pull him to heal and say heal and abit of time and effort it works mines not 100% every time after all he's a pup but I'm now starting to get it with a click of the fingers and most of the time he does what he's told when on walks

• Like 1

go back to training mate, get the recall right in the day 1st, then do the same in the night . With recall in the night, put the dog in the stay walk few yards , then flick the lamp on by your foot then call in . If ok just try more distance say 20 yds, if still ok great . do this for evey night for a week forget about rabbits get this spot on 1st. Even when good with recall i still give few in the night just to keep them in tune with you. You got get this right, it might take a while but keep at it , there no point in lamping with it till you got it right..! You got plenty of time for rabbits in the season, keep at this and you will get there . :thumbs:

n7-1.jpg

yep IMO definately the best advice :thumbs:

A lot of dogs are still very much puppies up to a year old. They are going through the teenage stage where they want to go and do their own thing. What you need to do is get the dog to see YOU as the source of everything good and fun. You can only do this if the dog is not distracted by other things. You have to get 100% recall before you start lamping, where the distractions are enormous.

Training is about mentally conditioning the dog to behave in the way you want. If you try to take a pup out lamping without first having conditioned it to come to you the moment you call, then you're on a loser. The dog MUST want to come to you. Getting that relationship takes a lot of time and effort, and a fair bit of skill as well.

I have a young dog at the moment, 12 months of age. No way is he ready to run on the lamp yet. What I'll be doing in the next couple of months is train him on the lamp with rabbit skin dummies. Out in the dark where there are no rabbits (not easy round here), I'll throw the dummy in the dark, light it up, and send him to fetch it. If he shows signs of wanting to run off with it, or just tear about looking for something to chase, I'll go back to lamping the dummy in my back garden. Its all about fixing a certain behaviour in the dog's mind.

I've also done a fair bit of tug training with this pup. He knows that when he comes to me he's going to have a great game of tug, and whilst being out in the field is not the same, I know that the pup wants to come to me, because I've trained him to know that being with me means a whole lot of fun. Sure, there will be blips and hiccups in the field, but be prepared to shout the dog back to you, using the same techniques, commands etc that you do whilst training.

RECALL IS EVERYTHIING

I also believe that too many people start lamping too early, right at the worst age, when the pup is trying out its 'independent' head. No dog was ever ruined by waiting another few months before trying it on the lamp. I didn't start lamping my Airedale lurcher until she was 14 months old. She would have buggered off before then, being all dash and rush and desperate to catch stuff. I needed to get her 'on my side' before lamping her, and the only way you can do that is by making training FUN, fixing the recall in the dog's head, no matter where it is.

one of the ways of getting a pup or dog coming back or walking with you, is never let the dog lead you when out in fields, when he takes the lead i walk the other way or at right angles, do this enough and he will look to you to lead all the time,

Another trick with pups when you first take them out running round is, at certain times stop dead in your tracks, the pup will come to you after a while and try to regain the flow you had between you and will mooch about maybe jump up, but i wait til he's standing by my right side close to me , then i tell him Yes good boy,and we go on, the idea is for the dog to equate standing by your side as a means of going forward again, do it often enough and the answer comes from inside the dog, no shouting no recall no feck all, the dog trains himself to do it ,if he want to go forward he must come back,,

its the same on the lamp then , he knows he must come back to my right side because its the beginning point of the hunt again,,