Barnett Black Widow Slingshot

Guest Fishaben

im 15 and not having alot of permission with may gunpower stealth i go out with my pro diablo and have had pigeons,pheasants,squirrels rabbits the lot so i think there good ill get some pics up.

whats the sights like on the pro diablo also am i [bANNED TEXT] in thinking you can use a lazer sight

cheers leighton

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

barnett used to make a mould made 8 lead balls at a time,3/8 in ,may still make one?

Took the words out my mouth,i have one here somewhere,if i can find it i'll stick a pic up.Have a fishing weight mould as well,that makes drilled balls about that size,you can leave the spokes out and voila! no hole.

Used to use a 'Barnett Black widow' when I was younger, used to shoot soft clay at smooth wood targets for practice, you could never get Nickel or chrome plated steel ammo 15 years ago and fishing weights were to expensive to waste!!! so used to find rounded stones by the streams or freeze acorns. they weren't to bad on birds at close range if you could hit them but most would zip straight past tumbling end over end.

I've just finished reading a book and in part of that a keeper tells of people killing deer with catapults. Using sharpened triangular metal flats in wide catapults they would crouch down beside a run in the woods whilst wives and kids would quietly cough and shuffle their way through the top end of the copse innocently collecting mushrooms and flowers, etc. the deer not perseving a major threat but still disturbed would quietly sneak off down their favourite path then get smacked in the ribs by one of these discs puncturing lungs and causing massive internal bleeding. When the keeper finally caught one, he tried it out on a metal drum with devastating effects. Not a nice way to die and I'd guess a deer could get a long way in that time so probably quite a few were never recovered.

I remember years ago talk of Barnett making a black Widow's 'BIG SISTER', capable of firing 1/2inch ball bearings stupid distances but was banned on sale in the uk??? Anyone hear anything similar or was it just the older lads winding me up back then??? .....still to this day I don't know!!

Used to use a 'Barnett Black widow' when I was younger, used to shoot soft clay at smooth wood targets for practice, you could never get Nickel or chrome plated steel ammo 15 years ago and fishing weights were to expensive to waste!!! so used to find rounded stones by the streams or freeze acorns. they weren't to bad on birds at close range if you could hit them but most would zip straight past tumbling end over end.

I've just finished reading a book and in part of that a keeper tells of people killing deer with catapults. Using sharpened triangular metal flats in wide catapults they would crouch down beside a run in the woods whilst wives and kids would quietly cough and shuffle their way through the top end of the copse innocently collecting mushrooms and flowers, etc. the deer not perseving a major threat but still disturbed would quietly sneak off down their favourite path then get smacked in the ribs by one of these discs puncturing lungs and causing massive internal bleeding. When the keeper finally caught one, he tried it out on a metal drum with devastating effects. Not a nice way to die and I'd guess a deer could get a long way in that time so probably quite a few were never recovered.

I remember years ago talk of Barnett making a black Widow's 'BIG SISTER', capable of firing 1/2inch ball bearings stupid distances but was banned on sale in the uk??? Anyone hear anything similar or was it just the older lads winding me up back then??? .....still to this day I don't know!!

That book, Poachers tales? J.Humphreys. If so I just finished reading that last week, not bad read. :victory:

That book, Poachers tales? J.Humphreys. If so I just finished reading that last week, not bad read. :victory:

Yeh, Felt some bits might have been slightly exaggerated. Good reads about good loan poachers, not gang raids killing everything there is :no:

Edited by Hob&Jill

After reading this thread I remembered that when I was a kid my dad conferscated my black widow never to be seen again :cry: ......imagine how happy I was when I popped round to pay him a visit and asked him if he still had it ...2minutes later and sorted the original black widow .......it must of been over 25 years ago he took it of me :icon_eek: ..............I wonder if hes still got my old gat gun and all those packets of 10 number 6 :laugh::laugh:

14052007622.jpg

I did notice that the newer models dont seem to have the metal clips that seem to keep the bands on but the bands dont look knackered either after all that time :drink:

This is my old gelt. had it about 18 years now and killed a wide range of tackle with it. i use fishing catapuly elastic because i dont like the really powerful; stuff as i dont think it make a better shot. used to be with me whereever i went fishing and its bagged a few ducks,.geese and pheasants through the head. i just dug it out, looks like it needs new elasitc, but otherwise ok...... brings back memories... :yes:

The trouble with the black widows etc is that the rubber bands are far too weak.I use the square black rubber that is almost impossible to get hold of now but unbeatable for killing power....

this any good to you p&g, 5 and 6mm? black round lacky i know its not square but it is solid. sure i had a link here for the square stuff aswell, ill have a look for it.

edit: knew it was here somewere! its an old item off ebay but if your strugleing to get it, may be worth a look at his shop or see if he can get hold of any for ye? just bought some 6.5 mm balls off him aswell quite cheap to see what there like apart from being cheaper. forgot to put the link in! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SQUARE-REPLACEMENT-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by maty j
This is my old gelt. had it about 18 years now and killed a wide range of tackle with it. i use fishing catapuly elastic because i dont like the really powerful; stuff as i dont think it make a better shot. used to be with me whereever i went fishing and its bagged a few ducks,.geese and pheasants through the head. i just dug it out, looks like it needs new elasitc, but otherwise ok...... brings back memories... :yes:

Thats a strange thing to say that the strength of the elastic doesnt matter and believe me you can get very accurate with strong rubbers ;) That thing you have there wouldnt kill a fecking spuggy :D;)

as regards to shots lads i now have a lead mould that can make 24 at a time,

but before that i used to melt the lead in a tin can pinching a side into a lip

so that once melted it could be poured into a ring spanner on the floor, once cool in a few seconds

the lead can be tapped out (still hot enough to take your finger prints off) and go again 2 cans over a small

fire and you can get 100 shots in no time plus the ridges in the ring spanner makes em wizz, alot more accurate than ballbearings which swerve all over. amen