Clipping a dog

I have a rought coated collie x and someone was saying that they get their dog clipped in the summer, was just wondering does any one else do this?

I did mine on Friday bud, I just used my own hair clippers with the 6mm guard on it.....took about an hour, helps keep them cool in the summer months. I'll stick a pic up later :thumbs:

I was once given a very good piece of advise: only clip a dog if it is the non moulting sort. If you clip dogs that moult, you risk changing the coat texture as well as length. Clipping can also make some dogs very itchy as the short clipped hairs sometimes change and grow curly and matted. Some go fluffy after clipping, picking up more seeds and burrs as a result.

It is much better to either hand strip or use a stripping comb, or one of those toothed combs which pull out the dead and undercoat. Used properly, the undercoat comb can literally halve the amount of fur the dog is carrying, but should be used carefully once a week or it can make the skin sore.

Thanks for the advice, to be honest im to scared to clip her incase it ruins her coat... Lurcher330 im gonna try give your dog a run for its money this year haha

Fairplay Dave ,she's a cracker of a bitch theres no reason why ye shouldn't,but i have me excuses already, :laugh: (she is 6now, bad judge ,that judge is his mate,He only likes collie xs) Ha Ha :tongue2::laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the advice, to be honest im to scared to clip her incase it ruins her coat... Lurcher330 im gonna try give your dog a run for its money this year haha

Fairplay Dave ,she's a cracker of a bitch theres no reason why ye shouldn't,but i have me excuses already, :laugh: (she is 6now, bad judge ,that judge is his mate,He only likes collie xs) Ha Ha :tongue2::laugh: :laugh:

haha very good my excuse is your dog always beats mine
  • Like 1