Pet magpie - tame hacking

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are right, legally any caught vermin should be culled. But if any sad f****r wants to try and prosecute me for not killing a caught magpie based on this, then that is fine with me. Who hasn’t seen

Did it last year with a rook that my youngest fetched home put a nest box up in one of the trees and she hand fed it with the dogs meat. Al was great until it was hungry at 5 in the morning and would

i did it when i was a kid, it use to attack the kids going to and comming home from school after food so i shot it

Posted Images

I tried taming this chap a few years back:

130510-1421.jpg

It was going OK until a flock of crows flew over the garden and spooked him one day while I had him out to feed. :( He flew off and got battered by a pair of magpies! :doh: He was about the place in the trees for a few days but buggered off after that. :thumbs:

Magpies and Ravens can talk as well, for anybody who disbelieves this they should check the book "My Family and Other Animals" By Gerald Durrell, sort of a cheap UK version of a parrot if you like!

apparently starlings are pretty good at it too, beethoven was a fan (I think bach also based a song on a starlings song).

How long did you have that little Jay for Tuzo, I remember seeing that photo on here before which was a long time ago. Did it fly away in the end? Which seems to be a common theme.

I am as excited as a child about this, so I hope it goes well :icon_redface: .

How long did you have that little Jay for Tuzo, I remember seeing that photo on here before which was a long time ago. Did it fly away in the end? Which seems to be a common theme.

It was a Jackdaw matey, we had him through the summer and Autumn and he was very tame but as the winter came he started distanceing himself from us.........he then took up sleeping in a neighbours conifer tree rather than the shed. He stayed in our street til the following year but although quite steady around people he would fly off when they got too close. I'd say the folowing Spring he disappeared but not sure whether he'd died or moved on.

It was a Jackdaw matey, we had him through the summer and Autumn and he was very tame but as the winter came he started distanceing himself from us.........he then took up sleeping in a neighbours conifer tree rather than the shed. He stayed in our street til the following year but although quite steady around people he would fly off when they got too close. I'd say the folowing Spring he disappeared but not sure whether he'd died or moved on.

don't know why I said Jay, I knew what I meant though :icon_redface: .

So he was free to come and go? Did he learn the routine of when he would be fed etc or did he just hang around the garden 24 hours a day? Do you think he became less tame because you spent less time with him and let him get on with it?

Had a few Jackdaws and crows when I was a lad. I used to leave the bedroom window open and let them out all day while I went to school, one of the Jackdaws was that clever if he heard the gate go at the front of the house he would follow me to school, I ended up having to jump the front fence and run down the road so he didn't see me :D.

all the jackdaws I had would follow me from house to house down the roads and fly backdown to my shoulder, I could ride as fast as I like on my cowhorn push bike but they would still wip down back to my shoulder and follow me everywhere, I even had one when I met the missus which used to talk, she would say "Jack" as most do in the end and also c'mon jack".

this one was a egg layer and layed every year in her house, she was also bright enough on cold evening to block the hole up on her house to keep warm, I had a old round Margarine tub in her house which she would push onto the hole of the box to keep warm, I would go down in the morning and call her to see her pull it clear and fly straight out into the aviary and call to me.

Basically all mine was tame hacked, they had their freedom and could get upto all sorts of mischief through out the day, every evening they would still either come back to me when called or return back to their aviary.

One day when I returned from school I walked into the bedroom and it was a bomb site, the jackdaw had been on top of the record deck and scratched the record left on there, he had nicked the needle out of the player, he also pulled all the tape from my tapes all over the bedroom and when I went out side, my 7 inch singles was on the shed roof and also on the house roof :laugh:.

the bird also entered the neighbours house through a upstairs windown and stripped lengths of wallpaper from the side of her window sills :laugh:.

Brilliant birds and alot of fun, knew a guy also who had a Raven which was highly inteligent but thats a different story :thumbs:...

My boy raised a jay and a maggie over the years,the jay would whistle and talk its head off,the maggie would talk and was a bugger for the pegs on the line,but when maturity came and the breeding season was here they just up and left,they had free reign of an old 6 by 4 shed with no window, the maggie would visit now and then but got wild and left .

Recon a plan for this would be to have a pair then keep them locked up when nesting time comes and then once the nest has been made then release them to fly free as it does seem they do one when the lust calls and this way like pigeons they will come back and correct me if i'm wrong don't they use the same nest over and over or is that just rooks?.That budgie woman i was on about did start with a strain of birds known for living like this,go on the BBIA site and there's a few folks on there that would know a lot more about rearing corvids like you want to.

i caught a fledgeling crow last year.it was soaked to the skin in a downpour and it was getting dark so i figured it'd get killed by a cat.took it home and fed it on cat food.it was starting to get quite tame but it couldn't fly,we had it for a couple of months and its wings didn't seem strong enough for flight.it lived in the shed with the door open,came and went as it pleased.all i had to do was make sure it was on the shed when the dogs were let out.it used to just look down at them until they were gone and then hop down.very clever birds,you can watch them trying to solve problems(no not the times crossword).as someone said very noisy in the morning.in the end though i went to ireland on holiday and while i was gone my daughter opened the back door and my little patterdale bitch ran past her and smashed the bird to pieces.

i miss you Nero. :cry::laugh:

Recon a plan for this would be to have a pair then keep them locked up when nesting time comes and then once the nest has been made then release them to fly free as it does seem they do one when the lust calls and this way like pigeons they will come back and correct me if i'm wrong don't they use the same nest over and over or is that just rooks?.That budgie woman i was on about did start with a strain of birds known for living like this,go on the BBIA site and there's a few folks on there that would know a lot more about rearing corvids like you want to.

that a great idea fireman :thumbs:. they seem to go a bit wayward in the nesting season and often go AWOL. I actually lost one this time of the year and took it he had either been shot of died somehwere.

a good year later my mother was in the garden hanging out the linen and their sat a jackdaw on one of the perches I had made at the top on the linen line poles, she walked into the house and got some cheese and down he came to within feet of her, he had the same little plastic purple ring on his leg so he was mine all right. unfortunately I never got to see him and he never returned anymore.

You will also find fireman when you have the youngsters if you let them out in pairs they lead each other astray and you'll end up finding them somehwere, the best Jackdaws I had was single birds totaly imprinted to me or hand raised in a creche, spend time with it bonding and allow it to explore its territory and it won't go far :thumbs:...

I would love a Raven or perhaps another jackdaw, problem is if the jackdaw landed on one of the hawk aviaries it would be curtains for it. a Raven on the other hand would be lovely. a guy I used to know had one which would bugger off on the soar and come back tapping on his window or door, he would open the front door and in he would hop and lay out on some cushions infront of the fire and go to sleep in the warm, when he had enough he would tap on the door or window to go back out :laugh:.

he also would follow his wife along the linen line pulling the pegs out while she hung out the washing. this guy could point at it and shout "BANG" and the bird would play dead on the floor :laugh: :laugh: ....

You've got me wanting one now....

Read an artical about a old woman who kept budgies like that,had a big aviary with pop holes and they came and went as they pleased.She has kept them like it for years and they do breed and show the youngsters how to come and go,the artical was in a cage bird and aviary mag but haven't got a clue which one.

Should add this was in the uk somewhere.

Do you mean the budgies actually were able to leave the aviary, go into the wild and then went back to it regularly?