large terriers

Tools in the bag I think is the word, well maybe not tool, but handy dogs for different situations.

More people should think what they need for the places they work their dogs.

ie bi places, tight places and type of ground, just like a lurchers work as well, you wouldnt choose a saluki to bush with, dogs for jobs.

Just like the 10 minute wonder, worth their weight to a lot, then you get others who would waste their time.

Something like that could actually save trying to dig an undiggable place if you were to enter a dog that was a stayer, whereby would save you from the chance of loosing a decent dog.

I hope this make sense, im not pissed, and am sure the more experienced lads can see where im coming from.

makes sence :thumbs:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A big lad who never failed to get there.

ive had a lifetime of terriers. most of them on the big side. and as i was allways fox only. i can assure anyone that wants to listen. a big terrier is handycapped. it will get to some easily. others

hi b. b.b. i wouldnt believe in all that spanning by hand talk. i have seen big dog work with no problems. granted they might have to work that bit harder to get their, but if they want too they w

Posted Images

Tools in the bag I think is the word, well maybe not tool, but handy dogs for different situations.

ie bi places, tight places and type of ground, just like a lurchers work as well, you wouldnt choose a saluki to bush with, dogs for jobs.

Just like the 10 minute wonder, worth their weight to a lot, then you get others who would waste their time.

Something like that could actually save trying to dig an undiggable place if you were to enter a dog that was a stayer, whereby would save you from the chance of loosing a decent dog.

I hope this make sense, im not pissed, and am sure the more experienced lads can see where im coming from.

some of the 10 min dogs i have found stay a fair bir from there quarry and move with the quarry aslo keeping a distance putting on no presure having the quarry faceing them in tubes so you get a reading thinking its handy enough only for you to enter a decent that goes in does the job right and pushs the quarry to the right place only for you to fing its a lot deeper than you thought seen it hapen

some of the 10 min dogs i have found stay a fair bir from there quarry and move with the quarry aslo keeping a distance putting on no presure having the quarry faceing them in tubes so you get a reading thinking its handy enough only for you to enter a decent that goes in does the job right and pushs the quarry to the right place only for you to find its a lot deeper than you thought seen it hapen

Edited by stevie g 2005

some of the 10 min dogs i have found stay a fair bir from there quarry and move with the quarry aslo keeping a distance putting on no presure having the quarry faceing them in tubes so you get a reading thinking its handy enough only for you to enter a decent that goes in does the job right and pushs the quarry to the right place only for you to fing its a lot deeper than you thought seen it hapen

I agree Stevie g

Just out of interest, what is the largest terrier (in height) you lot have work to ground, its just that im bringing a patt on at the moment 10 month and i think hes got a bit on the large side! any thoughts on this subject? gonna try and get a couple of pics on of him! hes a good 15 to the shoulder! and a right lump!

mates it a doulbe edged sword good big dogs that squeeze there the ones i have seen scoffacted trying to get to the quarry theres a mate of mine that lost a good dog recently to a pair of foxes he was well tight when they got to him scoffcated the 2 foxes when still there alive he was a young dog to be fair i also seen i mate loose a dog in a handy enough earth half hour job broke thro to a soffocated dog now i dug i nice dog fox out of the same earth last week but the dog that wouldnt be a overly big dog but we got the fox and he was fine right enough he was on his side it was tight but he was fine

i think its all about the right earth for biggish dogs and also its a chance you take of it happening every time you take them atb jim

One of the jagdterrier I've now is 40 cm tts and about 13 kilos and is limited in is use.He will try every thing to get there but sometimes everything is not enough.

I've another five dogs and the biggest one is way smaller than him,most of them half the size,having quite a big pack I can have him and only using him in the right places.

I think most of us have seen big powerfull dogs mouled by quarry simply cos they cant move having pushed them too tight

Edited by valerio