Starting conditioning..

yes i was reading your other post about staffs being good bushing dogs some of them are quite good use there nose well i had a bull x a couple of years back that had some prey drive would fly trew the thickest of cover

Yeah I've heard they can be like tanks heading into cover , If I do get a staff I'm gona try it on the rats around the farm lol there is plenty of the buggers lol

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure someone will sell you a flirtpole .......... but all you need is a garden cane, a bit of string and a bit of dead something or other, swing it around on the floor just keeping it out of the d

I like the flirtpole, springpole, bike, and A-frame. Flirtpole is really good for developing coordination and athleticism, and not bad for wind too. Springpole really works their legs, back, neck, and

Cheers mate I'm looking into getting a staff out of working parents to come bushing and ferreting with my lurchers and hate to see dogs that look like barrels lol

Posted Images

i run my patts on my bike, i have a 24inch dirt jump bike with the rear brake on the wrong side which makes taking them much easier, i only have 3 dogs so i have the young dogs on the couples and my older bike dog on a single lead, they soon get the hang of staying on the left hand side and also know the route now! god forbid i go a different way!!!!! i found that using a certain command when there to close to the wheel and gently touching them with it soon got them wheel wise!

get a nome styled harness and some heavy chains and a tire, weight pulling is good both for building muscle and stamina.but take it easy on him in the beginning, a day or two a week with the chains for the first month and then tires after that.

change between long walks with light weights(chains) and short walks with heavy weights(tire).

vary the lenght of both short and long walks.

also pay attention to the surface you are training on.

the nome harness is the type used by sleddoggers and ensures that the dog uses his entire body and not just the front.

works well for our terrier, hounds and sleddogs :thumbs:

I'm sure someone will sell you a flirtpole .......... but all you need is a garden cane, a bit of string and a bit of dead something or other, swing it around on the floor just keeping it out of the dogs gob, give him loads of twists and turns and you'll soon see what to do.

Or instead of a garden cane use a telescopic fishing rod from the pound shop, in most of there shop's they are £1 :yes:

• Like 1

I've got a bit of scrap wood (used to be a washing line prop). Its about 4ft long. Ive drilled a hole through it and tied on a bit of bailer twine, about 2ft long. On the end of that I've tied a fox brush. Works really well, although I do get some odd looks when out walking...

post-9962-0-48473200-1329772688.jpg

But the terriers definitely enjoy it. I have noticed an increase in drive and confidence in the 'pet' terrier I have on loan.

post-9962-0-06569200-1329772699.jpg

I tried the laser pen a few weeks ago when out walking at night but it never took them long to figure out I was holding it I recently went to pick my keys up and it was chewed to death and fell to bits lol....... I got 2 coon tails if anyone wants one for a flicker ....

I tried the laser pen a few weeks ago when out walking at night but it never took them long to figure out I was holding it I recently went to pick my keys up and it was chewed to death and fell to bits lol....... I got 2 coon tails if anyone wants one for a flicker ....

Ha!

I think the problem was with my mate that he was in the house, the dog ended up looking for it all the time.

When you cut those tails of the coons ......... :laugh:

You're sure they were tails?

• Like 1