rabbit dogs..

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A lot of this "I wouldn't breed off a failed fox/deer dog that was shit hot on rabbits" stems from some lads, not all, looking down on lads who just hunt bunnies.   In the lurcher world the rabbitin

Heres my young bitch who I would describe as a out and out "rabbit" dog, would I breed her to another "rabbit" dog? If I thought it was going to improve my stock then yes of course I would, after all

But why would you want to use a failed Bull x as a stud for rabbiting dogs ? Surely it's better to use proven rabbiting stock........or am I reading the question wrong ? Cheers

Posted Images

Right here goes........If you had a bull x 'bitch' who was bred for foxes but turned out no use but was an excellent rabbiting dog then yes you could surely breed her with another rabbiting dog that had proved itself. But if you had a rabbiting 'bitch' who was great at her job surely you would not breed her with a bull x who was a decent rabbiter as there would be proper out and out rabbit dogs out there already for a Sire? Hope that makes sense....does too me.. :thumbs:

• Like 2

well my two penneth worth is, that there are far too many folks out there that are willing to breed from dogs, an all becuase they are blinkered, why do folks feel the need to breed off a dog or a bitch that wasnt bred for the bunnys, or even breed off a dog an bitch if they know there are better out there :blink: why do folks feel the need to have a pup out of there old bitch?? why not a pup that in unrelated :hmm: is it kennel blindness :icon_eek:

for the record i have seen some bullx's catch bunnys, an catch them well, but are they rabbit dogs???

not a dig at anybody just a genuine question :thumbs:

• Like 1

well my two penneth worth is, that there are far too many folks out there that are willing to breed from dogs, an all becuase they are blinkered, why do folks feel the need to breed off a dog or a bitch that wasnt bred for the bunnys, or even breed off a dog an bitch if they know there are better out there :blink: why do folks feel the need to have a pup out of there old bitch?? why not a pup that in unrelated :hmm: is it kennel blindness :icon_eek:

for the record i have seen some bullx's catch bunnys, an catch them well, but are they rabbit dogs???

i use to use the mother to havoc on rabbits she was very good on them hoover you a bag full every nite :thumbs: and she was a first x

i use to use the mother to havoc on rabbits she was very good on them hoover you a bag full every nite :thumbs: and she was a first x

i agree bullx's do catch bunnys mate, like i said some even do it well, but dont you think they are more 1 offs than anything else, do you think the rest of the family/litter could have done same job??? an more to the point would you have kept the whole family or others from line as bunny dogs??

i aint talking about dogs that can or could catch other stuff preban, im talking about guys who keep dogs just for bunnys :thumbs:

same here willow,, my old hunting partner had a first cross pit/grey ,, only a little thing 22" ,, one of the best rabbiters i have ever seen,, she had a good few follow as well,,, but as a rabbit lamper,, she was a machine

• Like 1

you used her for rabbits fair enough, but was she a failed dog at what she was bred for?

you used her for rabbits fair enough, but was she a failed dog at what she was bred for?

far from it but not all bull x are failed fox dogs and would you use bull in to get a rabbit dog yes it adds a little bit more want :thumbs:

• Like 1

far from it but not all bull x are failed fox dogs and would you use bull in to get a rabbit dog yes it adds a little bit more want :thumbs:

Are you talking about Marley?

I like bull in my dogs but would never inject it from bulls that have failed at what they were bred for.

• Like 2