Pets to worker what u think

imo and its just that "my opinion" if people bred worker to worker and only sold to working homes then there wouldn't be any of the crap you see on gumtree, preloved etc etc all advertised as being from top dogs when intact its fools just trying to make some easy money of people who are green as the grass. That's not to say all the litters are crap but id guess 99% are.

On the other side you can take your average lurcher and turn it into a good/decent grafter (if you have never managed it don't bother replying cause I won't even aknowledge you) its all down to whatever you put in you get out! Simple as that, your big enough probably old enough and id say from a post like this one daft enough to do what you want atvb.....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

am the same, i believe that although genetics will always have a part to play, its the dog and its owner which will determine if it makes the cut or not

Its hard enough trying to get a decent worker, Never mind takeing the CHANCE on a pup out of a litter of none workers IMHO youd be better holding off and finding a pup out of a litter thats off worker

Spot on mate, You pay your money you take your chance, worker to worker or from pot lickers enter both the same, show them both the same, and IMO you have as much chance with one as you do the other

firstly i'd like to know why he has decided to looked at this particular litter. he might be getting a pup for free and wandering if it has any chance of being any good in the field. if he has to pay for one (£100 plus) then i agree, go for a litter that has been bred for purpose....worker to worker. That way its another peg into knocking back those that breed any dogs together for making money. The best working litters are from those that the breeder wants to keep one for themselves.

Was thinking about getting a new puppy dam is collie/greyhound sire whippet but they are not workers do u think the pup could make a good worker

im sure the pup will become reasonable at what you want if for,

But for me a long line of working lurchers bred to catch have developed a knack genetically to do the job, they just seem to be born with the requirement for the job already preprogrammed in their makeup,

we all know certain families who have certain skill traits be it football or boxing or whatever, its genetics

until the day a donkey wins the derby, i believe the genes play a huge part in the animal world

• Like 1

just for the record, the best dog i ever owned was collie/whippet x whippet, none of the parents ever seen a rabbit neverless caught one, but she was dynamite on rabbits and shit hot on hares. you just never know............but i did put in a lot of hours with her.

any dog will work if got from a pup if u put time in some may not be the best workers but your best bet is get a pup from good working dogs you still may not get the worker u wont mate

Bullshit!....any dog wont work if got from a pup if you put time in. Fact.

It's all about putting the time in with a dog let's be honest all dogs were pets once the thing is though you take a chance on things like poor feet bad coat low prey drive etc from a none working home in theory if you buy from a good line of worker to worker bred dogs from a person who knows there stuff they will breed pups to get rid of these faults and in the long run you will get a better chance of this dog making a working dog than one bred from pet stock also I like to know what bloods gone into my dog not just parents grand parents great grand parents etc this not only shows the quality of your dog but the breeders commitment to his lines all this said you will get a pup if entered [bANNED TEXT] to work from a none working litter but your taking an unnecessary risk IMO.

It could be in the blood it might not, we breed from types to better the cross or maintain the x, but even if it's bred from the best workers in the world we take our chance and if they do what's in their predecessors done, perfect! If they don't then what do we put it down to?

Now I remember the olden days when walking the street and seeing 2 dogs tied was the norm, say someone's greyhound covered someone's staffy, non workers, and this dog was going out day in day out turned out to be dynamite, and it's brothers and sisters in the next village were doing a job when asked aswell, but wee jimmy down the roads wasnt?

For the record I can trace my dogs ancestry back to the great grand parents and they have all worked to a high standard, I wouldnt dream of breeding in non working blood, bu I do believe it's all down to what you put in you get out.

• Like 1

dogs have been around at least a million years truth is the urge to hunt is there whatever its breed off some dogs bitches that are world beaters are made by the owners you only get out what you put in. have a look in the free adds its down to the efforts of the owner the free adds bare this out the number of dogs on there plus the fact that various breeds mature older and the same with dogs and bitches. but a patient man who is prepared to put the time and effort in will get results whatever better off a presumed working dog or even a kennel castaway

i dont know too much about organised coursing, but.........as far as i have heard, there was a shit hot dog called lucky the dark destroyer, and from what i have read/been told, most of his progeny were average at best, so it just goes to show,,,,,,,,,,,, you just never know, even if your breeding from a first class dog ;)

Getting worker to workes - basically gets your foot in the door, you know the parents have the mineral and im sure if you look about and find the right breeder you'll also meet some good working lads, and if they could they can always tell you tips and tricks with what they did with there pup