walk the land?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

even land i hunt regular in the day, looks totally different in the dark, gaps in hedges, paths etc seem to magicly move or maybe im just going senile

Walking the land during the day not only learns you the danger zones,but also the easiest points of access to other fields etc.Nothing worse than blind lamping and struggling to enter the next field.Y

i have land local to me that i walk most days, an lamp when im on me tod or meeting somebody for the first time, its pretty decent land an always holds a few bunnys, so i use it to keep dogs fit in be

when i owned lurchers we never seen the land during daylight hours we did get to know a few spots [whins area] quite well as we did work it a lot but in all honesty we just drove any where stashed the motor and hoped for the best i know its poaching and all that but we never nicked out of farm buildings just bunnies bamby teeth etc

I always walked my permission on a regular basis I only ever go on my permission, but if you haven't read my topic Game Over then I advise you do if you don't walk your Land. Last night was the first time I went on someone elses permission trusting they walk it regulary and it ended badly.

Always walk your permission!!

• Like 1

I know the ground i run on well day and night and always walk a place by day first before lamping it. The only exception is when your someone elses guest, then you have to rely on them knowing the ground.

• Like 1

I walk the land I work always during daylight hours, just to give me a feel for a place and as everyone has said, fallen trees,barbed wire,cattle troffs ect ect. A month or so ago out on some open waste land I work, I managed to fall over into the only blackthorn bush, god knows how even the dog looked at me as if to say "you pratt". It hurt like hell when i flicked the lamp on to have a look at myself one of my legs looked like I had a hedgehog under my jeans with all its spikes sticking threw my jeans, my hands where also full of thorns. Called it a night within a few hours my leg had blown up like a ballon and was black for over a week, pulled over 30 thorns out of leg,arm and hands

I never walk the ground and truthelly have no intention of starting now.

What was the point in this thread then mate. Reading it you can clearly see that its a very good idea to walk the ground for the safety of your dog and you've just decided you wont be, strange?... :hmm:

What was the point in this thread then mate. Reading it you can clearly see that its a very good idea to walk the ground for the safety of your dog and you've just decided you wont be, strange?... :hmm:

He is too lazy :laugh:

It is the best way to get the lay of the land, I have ran the dogs on paid jobs where we couldn't walk it first for obvious reasons and the dogs have picked up some bad injuries :yes:

• Like 1

He is too lazy :laugh:

It is the best way to get the lay of the land, I have ran the dogs on paid jobs where we couldn't walk it first for obvious reasons and the dogs have picked up some bad injuries :yes:

Lets face it mate...if your on permission then you can go for a walk and see any hidden dangers. If you've no permission then you can just go fro a walk without dogs. Its just common sense really and a general care for your dogs. If i lost a dog because of my own lazyiness or stupid mistakes i'd just give up.

Lab it's the word Permission that stops most walking the land during the day but you can act dumb and say you are out with the family pet :yes: if the farmer isn't the bad type then people can always ask when they get caught.

I got my first ever permission by getting caught off the farmers 2 collies as we had a ferret to ground and they wouldn't leave us but the old farmer was a good chap and gave us permission there and then :victory: he even got us a few other farms later that season and I'll admit to any one that I shed a tear when he passed away as he was a likeable fellow :icon_redface:. His 2 collies were excellent watch dogs and had nipped a few people in their time, me included when I didn't notice them :laugh:

• Like 1

Lab it's the word Permission that stops most walking the land during the day but you can act dumb and say you are out with the family pet :yes: if the farmer isn't the bad type then people can always ask when they get caught.

I got my first ever permission by getting caught off the farmers 2 collies as we had a ferret to ground and they wouldn't leave us but the old farmer was a good chap and gave us permission there and then :victory: he even got us a few other farms later that season and I'll admit to any one that I shed a tear when he passed away as he was a likeable fellow :icon_redface:. His 2 collies were excellent watch dogs and had nipped a few people in their time, me included when I didn't notice them :laugh:

I understand that there are a few different factors about walking the land during the day....like you may have to travel a distance to run your dogs so walking it by day might be out the question but if you stay local then surely for the interests of your dogs health a quick walk during the day either with your dog or without isn't to much too ask?

As for getting permission mate i suppose i comes in many ways. Still cant beat driving up to the farm and having a word....if its a no then you either walk away or return and be quiet and respectful..... ;)

There's several factors why I don't walk it, firstly I never know where I'm going to lamp til I've left the house. I can lamp anything upto 150 miles away and thirdly I don't actually have time to walk it. I've walked most my ground that's with 30 miles radius buts that only about 3 maybe 4 places