Better off dead

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the chances of mixi reproducing and the young to grow up healthy are very slim,so it is better to kill as much mixi as possible,they will die a horrible death anyway if left,so to me letting them rep

Noooo, not me, these myxi

But It is still the hunting season, so better to take out the weak and diseased rabbits before the fit and healthy surely?

Posted Images

kill the lot i hate mixy your doing the poor buggers a favour

Not always.

A couple of years ago, a gamekeeper friend I had put 6 myxi rabbits in a quiet pen in a corner, on grass with shelter and the essentials covered. Within 2 weeks, the whole lot had recovered!

He was lucky, or they were already over the worst and going to recover anyway.

I tried one with a mixy, just to see if it could be done, got to the stage it could not eat anymore and i was going to have to force feed it...thats when i called it a day. All the research i read up on stated this would probably happen.

what if they are genetically capable of surviving and repopulating, you are killing the rabbits that may give you sport next season :hmm::thumbs:

there is no sport in catching mixi rabs,you are better killing the mixi ones,to give the healthy ones a better chance of survival and not catching mixi,if the mixi reproduce the chances of survival are very slim

i wasnt suggesting catching mixi rabbits was sport, if they have healthy babies that will be healthy next winter to catch surely that is better than catching and killing every rabbit in the district with mixi, then you deffo have no chance of repoplulation

isn't mixi passed on by fleas? so surely taking out the mixi rabbits is reducing the spread of the fleas/disease and helping the population?

Need to lob some flee bombs down any active warrens you come across. If we all did this, imagine the effect on bunny populations!

Wont work - mozzys can transfer mixi from one to another,

any biting insect can pass it on.

what a load of crap :laugh: as everbody knows the desiese is spread by parasites flea`s,tic`s,mites. a sick aninal attracts more of these than a healthy one, if youve ever picked up a mitsy rabbit you will know this, when a desiesd animal dies and its blood starts to cool all the little blood suckers jump ship, every one that jumps off an infected rabbit has the potential to infect healthy rabbits. so by keeping a group, togeather infection is certain, the mortality rate is around the 95% mark, so for every 100 you see suffering only 5 will survive. for the sake of the 95 condemed to a slow death, kill as many as you can, as only a very twisted person would want to watch 95 die a slow death normally starvation to save 5 for their own sport. the meat tastes the same once the jackets are off, or if you havent got the stomach to eat them then leave them in the hedge,nature will soon deal with them,

• Like 2

so we know for fact this disease is spread rightly by any insect that bites. we also know that you can inoculate against it.? so why the hell would you kill every rabbit with mixy or those showing symptoms its fcking daft we know for facts and anyone with basic biology knows that when they do survive they will have produced antibodys to the disease. when it breeds pass it on etc. we know for facts that it sometimes is more virulent deadly in certain years and times off year. if you killed every rabbit in your area you would have to wait seven years to get back to the same numbers.?? it maybe shorter or longer depending on the areas you live in and populations in the surrounding areas.

any way a little official snippet in regrds to killing wild rabbits with mixi hope you rethink now.?? will be quite happy to direct you to the links .

The development of resistance to the disease seems to have taken different courses. In Australia, the virus initially killed rabbits very quickly, about 4 days after infection. This gave little time for the infection to spread. However, a less virulent form of the virus has become prevalent there, spreading more effectively by being less lethal. In Europe, many rabbits are genetically resistant to the original virus that was spread. The survival rate of diseased rabbits has now increased to 35% when in the 1950s it was near zero

Edited by gasaxeman

Problem is mixi is known to mutate - thats how it was designed, and its not just being transfered by them being bitten by insect's

it has been notied that direct transfer from rabbit to rabbit has happened.

the myxomatosis virus is notorious for its ability to mutate from year to year and the background immunity in the wild rabbit population also varies.

However, direct rabbit-to-rabbit spread can occur. Previously, this was mainly seen in a French respiratory strain of the disease, but reports from the Autumn 2000 UK outbreak suggest that rabbit-to-rabbit transmission may now occur the UK

Any vet will tell you to pts stright away as it causes immense suffering, affected rabbits can take a fortnight to die and treatment is usually futile,

as for vaccanation - they can still contract the virus, alls the vaccanation does is make it more treatable,

there are two atypical forms of myxomatosis: one causes pneumonia and a snuffles-like illness, the other ("Nodular myxomatosis") mainly affects skin and carries a better prognosis

If a vaccinated rabbit develops myxomatosis, the disease is usually much less severe. The exact pattern of disease seen in vaccinated animals is very variable, and impossible to predict: it depends upon how much immunity the rabbit has. Some rabbits develop just a few odd skin lesions and remain otherwise well; others become quite poorly and suffer from swellings and conjunctivitis more like classical myxomatosis. The difference is that vaccination turns a fatal illness into one that is treatable.

If an unvaccinated rabbit catches myxomatosis and develops the full-blown classic form of the disease, survival is very unusual, even with intensive nursing and treatment with antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection.

So again why leave an animal to suffer - just in the name of sport, in my mind its barbaric and crual.

so we know for fact this disease is spread rightly by any insect that bites. we also know that you can inoculate against it.? so why the hell would you kill every rabbit with mixy or those showing symptoms its fcking daft we know for facts and anyone with basic biology knows that when they do survive they will have produced antibodys to the disease. when it breeds pass it on etc. we know for facts that it sometimes is more virulent deadly in certain years and times off year. if you killed every rabbit in your area you would have to wait seven years to get back to the same numbers.?? it maybe shorter or longer depending on the areas you live in and populations in the surrounding areas.

any way a little official snippet in regrds to killing wild rabbits with mixi hope you rethink now.?? will be quite happy to direct you to the links .

The development of resistance to the disease seems to have taken different courses. In Australia, the virus initially killed rabbits very quickly, about 4 days after infection. This gave little time for the infection to spread. However, a less virulent form of the virus has become prevalent there, spreading more effectively by being less lethal. In Europe, many rabbits are genetically resistant to the original virus that was spread. The survival rate of diseased rabbits has now increased to 35% when in the 1950s it was near zero

the resistence is not transfered to off spring they would have had to survive the desiese themselves to be immune and the 35% you are stating is arguable see here http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Myxomatosis.htm so i will stick to killing all i find :thumbs:
  • Like 1