How old ???

if the dogs fit and still wants to go, age doesnt matter might be slower than it was but you carnt beat experience. my old dog will get strieghtlined on short grass everytime but any mistakes at the hedge and there his the same in longer grass.

Some good answers above but ain't a big fan of retirement myself, never seen a decent old dog yet that would prefer a constant fireside life rather than be in the field. Watched one of mine simply give up and fade away the day I stopped taking her. Fecking sickening looking back, she would have given anything to come but I left her behind...

Whats here now will always have a mooch out, no not like they used to but in some capacity, they can run till they drop, or can't run no more and then I know their time has gone and i'll do the right thing by them...

• Like 4

retierd a decent dog meself this year,dont get me wrong,only for the reason i but him over me bitch summer gone ,as i wanted to keep one back ,BUT,ikept two,so ,let him make way for his two daughters ,who have both done more than i could of asked for in there first season atb,and happy hunting tony :thumbs:

Bosun, why didn't you take the old bitch out when you realised she was worse off at home?

I don't work my dogs as hard as some but imo I would only retire a dog when they don't get out of bed when you are getting ready to go out. My old lurcher was still mooching and ferreting at 14.

My Meg is only eight and has shown no signs of slowing down yet.

Retired Old lad (now 11) from lamping at 7, and myself ha, he ferreted and mooched for 3 years now he is out every morning for an hour or two, mooching about, still catches the odd rabbit and keen to chase other stuff, slowed up now and just enjoys getting out and about but doesnt bother when I take the young dog ferreting, maybe because he still gets out and not sitting in kennel.

Got two bitches, 9 and 11: both carrying injuries, arthritis etc, but both still hunting well, maybe not catching quite like they used to, but they really enjoy a daily mooch with a bit of excitement and more often than not in the right place if something is flushed. It would kill them to leave them at home. As long as they want to come out, they do. In fact, the eldest crouches behind the kennel if she thinks I might call her back indoors and leave without her: I see her poking her nose round the corner, trembling and looking at me, not wanting to be shut in the house. She's eyeballing me: YOU WILL NOT LEAVE ME BEHIND LOL Then comes bounding out like a puppy when she sees my face laughing at her.

Hard to lose dogs you've shared that many years with. Make the most of the time you have with them.