Saluki ways And dismays

salukis are no diffrent to any other lurcher they do make great ferrerting dogs coursing dogs allrounders but they can as young dogs test your pateicne luckys mother tryed this game when you go to put them on a lead staying 2 feet away so as we got to the car open the boot she would stand there looking at me so the game began follow the car stop ever mile to see if she wanted to get in after 3 mile after a week of this game she dint think twice about getting in the boot as the door opened :thumbs:

I've had this with all sorts of lurchers when they're hitting that teenage stage: they want to stay out, keep hunting, don't want to go home, boring! The times my mind has been elsewhere as I get back to the van, look around and there's a dog missing: its snuck off to where it knows there might be something to hunt. They do grow out of it.

Done the driving off thing too, but that only works if the dog is what I call a 'pack' mentality. Some are just so bloody independent that they just don't care if you go off and leave them: they just turn and go off hunting. Need to say that this only tends to happen if the dog knows the area well and knows exactly where the game is likely to be found: I've not had them do that on land they don't know at all. Most dogs don't actually want to be alone in a strange place.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone who knows and has had experience with Salukis and Saluki lurchers will know that their brains don't develop the same way as other dogs LOL   Seriously, they sometimes need a lot more time to

Fellas the description of the day was a generalisation of what the dog done not wether it was supposed to be over the warren or was being called just for a stroke. These incidents happened when nothin

They certainly can be "high maintainence" that's for sure But any dog some people have, no matter what "flavour" would be

Posted Images

Fellas the description of the day was a generalisation of what the dog done not wether it was supposed to be over the warren or was being called just for a stroke. These incidents happened when nothing much was going on.

However a young dog may well need to be called into heel because it is sticking it's head into a hole that could produce a bolt or because it's upsetting the nets. And I it could well be called in for a stroke and a bit of fuss because it has done something worthy of praise thus reinforcing the positive behaviour.

I love fukcing smart arses.

id have thought it would have been tied up .or on a lead why would you want to be calling a young dog and making a noise over the holes when the ferret is in .after all its only a yougster and its keeness and prey drive will compel it to look around when it hears the sound of battle below ..some times theres some right bollox posted on here .if you was that experienced a ferreter mate you wouldnt be having young dogs loose running from hole to hole and then trying to call them away and making a noise when the pug was in .

Brooke what the feck is a 10 month old dog going to learn tied up on a warren and where did I say the pup was running from hole to hole making a nuisance of itself ? Don't go presuming you know what was going on on the day. What was happening was that after a bolt and the rabbit was caught instead of the youngster coming back onto the warren she would go into some sort of trance and just stand 10 foot away and no amount of coaxing or calling what get her back to her owner. Then 2 minuets later the same would happen and she would come straight back in after being called. As for ferreting if you ever want to bring your superior self and your saluki crosses down my way please come and teach me and my collie cross cur a lesson or two or not LOL

itl only learn from whats put in front of it .pal .and from how its presented ..you say after a bolt .and a rabbit was caught ( in other words you had missed holes or you cant net properly .also there was more than one dog loose ) then you was calling and coaxing her as you put it to get her back in .then again the previous would happen again .dont you think she might have been out thinking you boys . after all your not the best of feretters about .as for your invitation lets reverse and you come to me .you might learn something then. as for my saluki crosses you wont teach em anything other than bad habits

There you go again presuming to know what was happening and as usual getting it wrong lol there were no nets down as we had already caught over 50 rabbits and didnt need anymore so we were bolting for the dogs. When we were runningvthe youngster the other 2 dogs were in the truck out of the way. As for your offer no probs anytime I will bring james bradley aling and he can film the day and put it up on here then everybody can see who can ferret and who cant. And everybody will see your superior salukis out ferret my collie mungrel.

• Like 1

Seems to me saluki owners make excuses for there dogs(and why not),You cannot have one if you have to work becouse it has to be with you if you put it in a kennel it wont come back :cray: When it dosnt come back or it runs of,Its becouse its so clever :hmm: And knows more than you or other dogs.Im yet to own a lurcher that didnt remember were they had killed or found quarry,just becouse they didnt piss of to it,every time means there not super intelligent. :D Plenty of ferreting dogs predict were rabbits are going to bolt.One thing for sure there not for me any ways.Just some genral observations so dont get your nickers all twisted. :angel:

LOL @ Weasle. :laugh:

So maybe, (and I'm playing devil's advocate here) people who love working Salukis just need an excuse for being a bad dog trainer :tongue2:

I admit I have a love/hate relationship with the bloody things, and they're a damn sight harder to train than anything else, IMO, but once you get them how you want them they are, to me, something a bit special. A bit like getting a falcon exactly right and seeing it operate at the top of its game, not that I know much about falconry. But to see such a dog in full flight after a hare on big land, reading it, working it, and most importantly, having the stamina to actually catch it, rather than just chase it a couple of fields before getting blown, then that is the reward.And when that difficult, wild, untrainable sod of a dog actually carries its catch back to you, then the world comes up shining and you feel as though you've won the lottery.

So is it just that something that difficult, once it turns out OK, (in the owner's eyes at least) makes the rewards so much greater? Blood, sweat and many tears they've caused me, but masochist that I am, I still love 'em for what they are, and it is that feral, independent streak which draws me to them: that 'sod you' attitude I can understand because I'm like that too, and in the end, have learned to live with, for better or worse.

• Like 1

snipes a suluki, cross,, hes made a top notch ferreting dog,, not to much on bolting rabbits, will not cover the hole when the rabbits, are going to exit,, fackin the job up,,and more so carefull with nets,, marking h\as bin perfect,,all of a suden he leaves the set,, and finds more rabbits at home for you,,like has iff he knows theres no more rabbs in the set your doing,,,

post-63272-0-06377300-1326795984.jpg

I definitely understand the Saluki mentality. Haha, they can be quite frustrating at times. But as everyone has said. Patience with them is a must.

Luckily my bitch has good recall, she knows when it's time to go on the lead and seems happy with it and she listens to most things I say... Took a while and spending as much time with her during the day and night. I started training her like I did my last 3/4 hound and soon realised she was revolting... So I had to go for a softer approach.

If you don't respect them they wont respect you. It's almost like you have to make friends with them in order for them to let you in. And when they let you in you will know. They can be really affectionate.My bitch is only coming up 7 months. So I still have a way to go yet, especially when she starts working. But a challenge is always fun.

THIS THREAD SEEMS TO BE going out of contex , on the whole the cur types x are the bees knees for this type of work kept them 40plus yrs , BUT any type can be mastered given time and will to want to , saluki types would not be my type for abit ferriting etc . but some of us myself included like a challenge the bigger the better , some say one needs timehaving personell experience of children with autism spectrum disorder , these children need time and whan they have got it they have got it believe me . the same could be said of the saluki we know they tick on a different level , ITS those that can not become to ubnderstand this that fall short , and feel they can only get by with the responsive quick thinking type has the cur , TO see the controlling methods some seem to need in the field often amusing me , the term robotic his sometimes in the need of the handler ,HAVING SAID THAT we all cana be the same , SALUKIS AND THERE CROSSBREDS mmmmh breed blindness his like the comon cold lots of it about , well waiting for thew bloody thaw to go for a wander with my none responsive saluki type oh yes hes testing me little does he realise its roles reversed with this handler .atb bunnys.

I didnt start this topic as a slag the saluki type off and not once on this thread have i done that. The thread was started as just a muse about what i noticed on the day and how awkward a heavily saturated saluki type can be. I have nothing against the saluki type and in fact tried putting a very well bred line bred saluki grey over my first cross collie grey bitch.

I didnt start this topic as a slag the saluki type off and not once on this thread have i done that. The thread was started as just a muse about what i noticed on the day and how awkward a heavily saturated saluki type can be. I have nothing against the saluki type and in fact tried putting a very well bred line bred saluki grey over my first cross collie grey bitch.

Exactly, i think most of you are taking this thread as some sort of personal attack, i read the initial post and it seemed more of an observation, not a stinging attack on the cross............

Not taking it as an attack at all in my case; I just like discussing this sort of dog; find them fascinating. And always interesting to hear other people's views on them as well.

I know Penny, but some have, i'll just put your love of the breed down to some sort of mental illness, same as beddy/whippets, whippets and pugs :tongue2::laugh:

Not taking it as an attack at all in my case; I just like discussing this sort of dog; find them fascinating. And always interesting to hear other people's views on them as well.

I know Penny, but some have, i'll just put your love of the breed down to some sort of mental illness, same as beddy/whippets, whippets and pugs :tongue2::laugh:

:laugh: I've always been a bit strange :tongue2: but PUHlease, I draw the line at pugs :bad::laugh:

snipes a suluki, cross,, hes made a top notch ferreting dog,, not to much on bolting rabbits, will not cover the hole when the rabbits, are going to exit,, fackin the job up,,and more so carefull with nets,, marking h\as bin perfect,,all of a suden he leaves the set,, and finds more rabbits at home for you,,like has iff he knows theres no more rabbs in the set your doing,,,

hold on jim,,, yeh snipe has saluki in him,,, but im shure you said he was, collie/grey x saluki/grey back to collie/ grey,,,,

so hes hardly a coursing dog,,,, perhaps all the collie in him is the reason in your eyes hes a good ferreting dog.