Large Or Small?

Without doubt, if i was flying a bird then a jill would be the first choice, even small hobs struggle to hold bunnies, and get away a bit.

Sometimes its down the the ferrets mentality though, some engage heavily with the rabbit, and some peck away at them.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like Tomo ,i've had all sorts,bucks and does ,big and little, my take on the question is ,if they don't kill ,they ain't much good, i think a good killer will get stuck in and shift rabbits , them slo

A mix.   But if i had to have one ferret and one ferret only, i would opt for a medium - strapping jill.

seen good and bad in both,, and owned em....   on the hole i prefer a small to meduim jill,,, 2 main reasons,, 1st i can get more ferrets in a carrying box,, if your doing big places this is a real

Use a large hob myself but guaranteed 1 out of 3 will be a dig. On the plus side if theres anything there it will get it but if you dont like digging then stay well away from them. Small jills will bolt if they can but find sometimes get given the run around.

Thanks for the input lads its much apreciated :thumbs:. mine big Hobs work for England but have a tendancy to muller Rabbits below ground, think I might now try a smaller type as mentioned above and see how it works out, its no fun digging when Hawking expecially when I'm on my own.....

Jasp

Trev

My missus has had 21 years of a small one mate :laugh:.....

well you no what to get her for her birthday box lol [ME] :air_kiss:

So you want her to try "micro" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::victory:;)

:laugh: :laugh: :feck: lol

Use a large hob myself but guaranteed 1 out of 3 will be a dig.

same story here! both of my large Hobs work their butts off but will usually end up murdering a bunny below ground. the Gills on the other hand might end up with some fur in the claws but they never seem to make the kills these bigger hobs do.

one of the lads I get out with calls his Greyhound Ferrets :hmm:, seen a bit about this on the Net being a myth? no doubt about it his are a fair bit smaller than mine but never heard of Greyhound ferrets until he mentioned it.....

I have always favoured medium sized hobs [bANNED TEXT] i ferreted for members of the yorkshire falconry club as the kill ins and arsed up rabbits were mine lol.On a seriouse note imho if their going to bolt they will bolt and i have seen some small jills that could get over the back of a rabbit in a tight tube and kill them like lightning.

Like Tomo ,i've had all sorts,bucks and does ,big and little, my take on the question is ,if they don't kill ,they ain't much good, i think a good killer will get stuck in and shift rabbits , them slow plodders seem to wander round the top layer of a set and bolt stuff by bumping into them , a good ferret will get down into the guts of a set and give some stick out, how many times have people been out ,tried a so called good ferret in a set ,see it bolt nothing,then try a proven killer ,and bolt two or three,out of the same set , i know i have ,this time of the year ,the rabbits are starting to stick ,them soft types will sit on their backs ,scratching ,the killers will get round them somehow ,and show em whats,what, then its, march, or die .

To sum up ,good hard ferret ,who can take a bit of stick and dish it out plus locater means ,plenty of sport, and rabbits, and if your frit at a bit of digging,you shouldn't be in the game .

Them people .who own them soft hairdresser type ferrets, which never get a drop of claret on their whiskers ,and say ,i dont need a locater, means,carry on dreaming ,your not, really , in the game.

• Like 3

Use a large hob myself but guaranteed 1 out of 3 will be a dig.

same story here! both of my large Hobs work their butts off but will usually end up murdering a bunny below ground. the Gills on the other hand might end up with some fur in the claws but they never seem to make the kills these bigger hobs do.

one of the lads I get out with calls his Greyhound Ferrets :hmm:, seen a bit about this on the Net being a myth? no doubt about it his are a fair bit smaller than mine but never heard of Greyhound ferrets until he mentioned it.....

The old greyhound ferrets were not particularly small, but long and lean with a roach shaped back, and were real quick - hence the name 'greyhound' because they look a bit like the shape of a greyhound. Not sure why a few years ago people started callin 'micro' ferrets greyhounds, as it makes no sense.

Them people .who own them soft hairdresser type ferrets, which never get a drop of claret on their whiskers ,and say ,i dont need a locater, means,carry on dreaming ,your not, really , in the game. I like this.

I have a brother and sister, last years kits, the Jill has now killed in her last two outings, and stuck to her Rabbit, good for a dig,

The hob is a powerful beast, and although he has bolted a few, appears not to have killed yet, he does come out with fur in the claws but no claret in the whiskers yet, which has surprised me, as i thought he would have killed before the jill, but it will come, im sure.

:laugh: :laugh: micky thats a clasic,,,, "soft hair dresser ferret" :laugh: :laugh: briliant..

i have a thing for the lean type,, refered to as the greyhound type,, i aso have a small one here thats a real killer,

i do seperate the the two as in type,,,

and your spot on there micky ive seen it many times with putting a difrent ferret in and getting a bolt,, one in particular sticks in mind

mates dog had marked he poped his old jill in,, nothing back out 5 mins,,, he thinks the dog is wrong,,, i knew better even though its his dog ,, put another of his old jills in,,,, nothing...

i think you all know whats comming,,,, after his jill came out a few difrent holes ,, i poped in my jill,,, 1 bolted after a min or two,, no jill,, quik look with the box,,,, spade out,, 2 foot dig,,, 2 rabbits :icon_eek: .

after that ,,, your always thinking in your head evrytime those other ferrets go in :yes: are they doing it proper

• Like 1

cant agree more ill not interaitn small ferets if i have the chioce , to me a ferret has to be a blke to man handle rabbits at this time of year as there not all bolting easy in some areas ,got a dog ferte at mment good worrker but just a bit lite as he struggles to hld them some days when he is getting tired i like a good dog ferret or big jills , micro ferretsd no good to me unless easy bolters were i stay not dep sets so yo want a ferett hat either botls or gives them hell, not overly big like the polar bears on here but strong enough to sort them out

I generally like to work good medium sized jills that will put a bit of pressure on if the rabbits decide to stick....have a cracker of a jill who is a real whiz at turfing rabbits out of stop ends. She grabs them by the flank, hauls on them until she can get up beside them to their face, turns them around and sends them flying out, never fails.

I also like a good soft bolting jill for those places where a softly softly approach is required, and a good hard hob for when the heavy artillery is required.

It's good to have a varied toolbox. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Them people .who own them soft hairdresser type ferrets, which never get a drop of claret on their whiskers ,and say ,i dont need a locater, means,carry on dreaming ,your not, really , in the game. I like this.

I have a brother and sister, last years kits, the Jill has now killed in her last two outings, and stuck to her Rabbit, good for a dig,

The hob is a powerful beast, and although he has bolted a few, appears not to have killed yet, he does come out with fur in the claws but no claret in the whiskers yet, which has surprised me, as i thought he would have killed before the jill, but it will come, im sure.

Perhaps he has just not sticking with , poss killing quick ????