19 bunny wabbits with footage

After having had a few ferreting trips out with the lads and the ferrets over the last couple of months, which have only produced a handful of rabbits each time, I thought I would go back to my favourite warren and have a good few hours of action. The lads are now only 10 (going on 11) and 8, and like all lads, they need to see action. The youngest isn’t quite as interested as the eldest one, but was still keen to come.

H the eldest has been badgering me for ages to do all the nets himself, so with the weather being ok, the ground damp and only a little wind, I decided today was the day. It helps as well with this spot, that it is near perfect for netting, with no nettles, brambles, or gorse!

We turned up about 9am and to a warm welcome from the landowner, who just wanted the bunnies thinning out a little, rather than wiping out, prior to breeding season.

With all 3 of us being weighed down with, net bags, lunch bags, bulldog spade, probe, long nets and ferret box we set off up the hill. On approach to the warren we could see about 30 rabbits sat outside, but it seemed most of them ran off into the woods, with only a few diving for cover.

H got most of the holes netted up, while I was setting up two 25 yard longnets on the downhill side of the warren, in a semi circle. J the youngest lad, wanted to see rabbits hitting the longnet for some reason, so a few holes were left un netted.

Two of the 3 ferrets were entered, which meant they were going to have to work bloody hard, but after a short time the action started with bunnies hitting the nets.

The first of two comical events then happened. H was sat by an un netted hole at the top of the warren, to ensure any bunnies would bolt downhill, when he heard thump, thump, bang, bang from underneath him. For some reason he shoved his welly into the hole to try and plug it, when a bunny jumped out of the hole and gave him the shock of his life. Luckily it ran straight into the long net.

We then had a succession of hits and misses. Some of the misses were down to the netting up, but a couple were as a result of the bunny jumping out of the hole uphill, and towards the peg, as against down hill to tighten the draw cord.

The second comical miss was when a bunny ended up in a net, and then fell down another hole. H started to drag the bunny out by the draw cord, but by the it was already half way out of the net. It then ran around his legs in a full 270 degree turn to get away! I had to laugh as my lad stuck out his but to try and trip it up, as the word “s**t” was heard under his breath, which is unusual, as he doesn’t usually swear. (not in front of me anyway)

Went onto catch a few more both in the long nets and the purse nets, with one bunny appearing to run straight through the long net, but as you can see on the video, I just hadn’t got the top string taught enough.

Any way after a few hours 19 bunnies were in the bag, and a good time was had by all, even though the youngest looked a bit bored. The other good news was that the ferrets kept moving and there were no digs needed. The difference in the ferrets though was un believable. They were last years jills, but seemed to have suddenly matured, with a proper hunter killer instinct. Several of the bunnies were coming out with half their faces chewed, but at least they were bolting.

I know it might look and sound a bit of fun rather that serious rabbiting, but thats how I see the sport, when killing them all isnt the order of the day. Yes I could have got all the holes netted if I wanted, put the camera down and dived on a few more myself to prevent escapes, but thats what is special about days like this this......they are just fun with the kids.

I wasnt going to put up another vid, because its similar to the previous ones, but its here if you want to look. Thanks

• Like 6

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After having had a few ferreting trips out with the lads and the ferrets over the last couple of months, which have only produced a handful of rabbits each time, I thought I would go back to my favour

I agree, and that doesn't just go for hunting, but traditional cooking, traditional music/poems, tarditional stories and such like will all be forgotten if we don't pass them on down the generations.

Great write up and another brilliant video , got a feeling the lad swore under his breath a few times lol, atb

Great write up and another brilliant video , got a feeling the lad swore under his breath a few times lol, atb

Excellent bit of footage mate, your kids face when the first rabbit skips the net is a great. :thumbs:

Your lads did great aswell mate. :victory:

great write up pal get them a lurcher pup they will be keen then to see there own young dog catching bolters, cant beat the feeling of seeing a young dog come on,makes ferreting all the better

Great vid great lads enjoying our great sport And ferretting on ground of dreams for us :cray: ATB Cookie :thumbs:

Well done mate, the lads are a credit to you :thumbs: But get yourself a dog :laugh:

well done kids looked like they had a great day :thumbs:

The 2 young lads did very well and a great wright up and clip. :thumbs:

good vid but it misses a good allround lurcher to snap them up

BRILLIANT well done to you and your boys its lads like them that are the future of our sport :thumbs:

Cheers for the comments lads!

yeah, yeah yeah, I know I need a dog, but unfortunatly my misses dont want one at the minute, and trust me, there is no arguing with her. Kids would love one as well, but she got upset after the last one, and its more than my lifes worth if I just brought one home :icon_redface:

Great vid and write up again mate :thumbs: Tell "H" not to worry about the one that ran ring's around him . . . It's happened to the best of us, and will probably no doubt happen to me again :icon_redface::D

He's got over it and I've stopped laughing!

One strange thing we have noticed though, but I am sure it is a coincidence, is that all the losses were from shop bought nets, and not the hand made dayglo ones!!