Moon phases and how it effects stalking

Keeping the wind in your face chaps and working out your approach to suit will also help..........its also pretty handy to try and put yourself between them and the wood they want to be in.

Now, this may open a can of worms, but in my humble opinion it dont take any magical skill to get within a 100yds of Roe, Fallow or even Muntjac......cant say for Reds or Sika as I have never stalked them although on open moorland it would obviously be a lot more difficult.

Bottom line is, getting to know a creatures habits will beat the arse of all the washing in this and dont sweat in that any day of the week.

• Like 2

Keeping the wind in your face chaps and working out your approach to suit will also help..........its also pretty handy to try and put yourself between them and the wood they want to be in.

Now, this may open a can of worms, but in my humble opinion it dont take any magical skill to get within a 100yds of Roe, Fallow or even Muntjac......cant say for Reds or Sika as I have never stalked them although on open moorland it would obviously be a lot more difficult.

Bottom line is, getting to know a creatures habits will beat the arse of all the washing in this and dont sweat in that any day of the week.

the thing is all this no washing,colthes in bags mullarky means squat :laugh: i was walking a dog for an elderly neighbour earling one morning last week, as i got up the lane i spotted a doe munty coming out of cover in a set barley field probably 50/60 yrds away i walked into the field with the wind blowing from behind us, strieght at this doe, the dog was barking its head off and i still got to within 20 yrds before it turned tail and wandered back into cover. :blink: i see them at least 2/3 times a week there runs are as regular as clockwork :thumbs:
  • Like 1

Totally agree Wilf. Apart from not using soap, aftershave, toothpaste before going on a stalk, I dont worry about clothing or sweat. Anything that is out of the ordinary, will stand out, in terms of scent, whether it belongs to human, animal or material.

Get the wind right and hunt like an animal, (observe, listen move, observe listen move etc) and the stalk will be successful.

Hind stalking on the open hill, by the way, is the4 best of the best imo, as they always retain their maternal instinct, and are always eyes, ears and nose!!

• Like 1

Your right it will open a can of worms , and there are many thousand variables as to why I would disagree with you.

Even if you think your doing everything correctly theres always something that stops you getting close in and at other times i have had them actually come right up to me not knowing i am there and within 6ft and i am not joking WILF but thats the name of the game, sometimes you cant get 500yds from them if conditions are against you, all it needs is a pigeon clattering out of a stand of trees thats seen you 800 yds away or an unseen pheasant inadvertently crowing that you accidently put up and wasnt aware of it and the whole stalks knackered, but thats whats makes it a challenge if you went out and dabbed everything you saw it would be boring.

you need everything on your side if you wash your stalking gear for instance with ordinary powders they contain brightners that radiate a glow to a deers vision and you stand out like a beacon so knowing these things and taking preventative measures to reduce being seen by your quarry is obviously going to be an advantage to you as a stalker along with your wildlife skills is the only way you can get close into your quarry.

Obviously there are those who shoot deer out at obscene ranges which is another issue thats against a lot of stalkers as the time the bullet gets to point of impact takes time although nano seconds during which a deer can move a considerable distances and what was thought to be a good placed shot becomes one that can wound the deer most genuine stalkers frown on this practice for that very reason and we try to hone our skills to reduce distance getting closer in to our quarry thus reducing possible suffering .Now that issue would open a can of worms but again thats all to do with ones own beliefs and conscience

Regards

Stu.

• Like 2

I find this interesting, as although I'm only an occasional stalker, I am out at night after fox and Rabbit very regularly, regardless of weather and moon phase, and my observations regarding Deer (Roe) would suggest that they prefer to be out in the open more during the darker nights.

I almost always see more out in the fields feeding and resting, on the darker, moonless nights than when there's moonlight. They also seem to be far less easily spooked on the darker nights too.

It'd be interesting to hear whether anyone else has noticed similar behaviour, or is it just me?

• Like 1

I find this interesting, as although I'm only an occasional stalker, I am out at night after fox and Rabbit very regularly, regardless of weather and moon phase, and my observations regarding Deer (Roe) would suggest that they prefer to be out in the open more during the darker nights.

I almost always see more out in the fields feeding and resting, on the darker, moonless nights than when there's moonlight. They also seem to be far less easily spooked on the darker nights too.

It'd be interesting to hear whether anyone else has noticed similar behaviour, or is it just me?

What your describing is quite common in areas that have quite a lot of activity, people exercising dogs ,horseriders and bike riders or other forest activity they will resort to becoming more nocturnal feeding on darker nights as they feel more secure, but under normal circumstances in quite forest they will stand out under the moonlight and feed, Roe deer are very adaptable to adjust there lifestyle to suit their existence.

Stu

dont know much about roe habbits but muntys definatly feel safer at night during new moon week, heres a picture from the other day, the muntys normaly use a thick hedgerow to go up this field but since the new moon on the 26th have taken to trotting up the field edge.

post-896-0-81386000-1322651471_thumb.jpg

What your describing is quite common in areas that have quite a lot of activity, people exercising dogs ,horseriders and bike riders or other forest activity they will resort to becoming more nocturnal feeding on darker nights as they feel more secure, but under normal circumstances in quite forest they will stand out under the moonlight and feed, Roe deer are very adaptable to adjust there lifestyle to suit their existence.

Stu

I understand what you're saying, and it does make sense, but i've noticed this over 30+ years and in various locations (albeit none that can be described as truly undisturbed). I've even noticed it in some of the places where the Deer are very used to Dog walkers etc, and take little notice of them other than to keep a respectable distance.

I have noticed that whatever the Moon phase, there'll be few if any Roe out in the open on very windy nights.

Caprelous. One of the most interesting threads for a long time. Thanks

Thank you

I will always help and educate those who wish to gain knowledge freely as thats how we all learn by whats taught to us, that along with the mistakes we make along the way makes us more experienced, and believe me I have made some, If I can pass on those skills and knowledge all you need to do is ask. I might not know the answer to every question but I will but do my best.

Regards

Stuart

Agreed :thumbs:

As for roe being out on windy nights, a very experienced lad once told me that they dont like the fact that they cant hear properly in the noisy, windy wood at night and what I have observed would seem to back him up :thumbs:

As for roe being out on windy nights, a very experienced lad once told me that they dont like the fact that they cant hear properly in the noisy, windy wood at night and what I have observed would seem to back him up :thumbs:

What I've found is that they're rarely out in the open on windy nights.

True to a certain extent WILF they dont like being in open woodland and small coppice as the trees groan and creek around them and they cant distinguish if there is danger about where the danger lies.

However in regard to blanket forestry in regard to block planting once they get deep inside the wood they are protected and extreemly sheltered from the elements.. No wind or noise present so the opposite applies

• Like 2

Your right it will open a can of worms , and there are many thousand variables as to why I would disagree with you.

Even if you think your doing everything correctly theres always something that stops you getting close in and at other times i have had them actually come right up to me not knowing i am there and within 6ft and i am not joking WILF but thats the name of the game, sometimes you cant get 500yds from them if conditions are against you, all it needs is a pigeon clattering out of a stand of trees thats seen you 800 yds away or an unseen pheasant inadvertently crowing that you accidently put up and wasnt aware of it and the whole stalks knackered, but thats whats makes it a challenge if you went out and dabbed everything you saw it would be boring.

you need everything on your side if you wash your stalking gear for instance with ordinary powders they contain brightners that radiate a glow to a deers vision and you stand out like a beacon so knowing these things and taking preventative measures to reduce being seen by your quarry is obviously going to be an advantage to you as a stalker along with your wildlife skills is the only way you can get close into your quarry.

Obviously there are those who shoot deer out at obscene ranges which is another issue thats against a lot of stalkers as the time the bullet gets to point of impact takes time although nano seconds during which a deer can move a considerable distances and what was thought to be a good placed shot becomes one that can wound the deer most genuine stalkers frown on this practice for that very reason and we try to hone our skills to reduce distance getting closer in to our quarry thus reducing possible suffering .Now that issue would open a can of worms but again thats all to do with ones own beliefs and conscience

Regards

Stu.

Stu

You're on the money again. It doesn' matter how well you know a deers habits or whether you get between they and their preferred exit route. If they spot you or smell you they are either off on their hooves or are thinking about it.

I work on the basis of why make life difficult when by simply adopting the right preparation and operational methods, you can move the odds slightly more in your favour. But then I only need to please myself..

There are a myriad of different factors that influence deer behaviour both in the daytime and at night. Weather, moon phase. disturbance, hunting pressure, food availability, population density, time of year, species, habitat, to name but a few. That's why I find deer stalking so interesting, Personally I learning something new all the time.

same here kenny the darker the night the more i see out and further from cover ..i do the same route looking for fox a good few nights a week in most weathers and all moon phazes and the same area for more than 20 years and this is in a very quiet area ..very few walkers even in summer ..i was out the monday before last for instance it was black as caps sence of humour..lol and counted one single doe ( mate had shot her kid )...a doe with 2 kids and another with 1 kid all in about a 600 yard area there regulars but not for long..lol..and when i take them out im lucky enough that its repopulated from the larger forestry blocks around me ...and i could bet theyd pick up the habits of the ones before them as in routes they follow feeding patches and rest areas..... oh and there quite happy to hang about in the beam

Edited by nastybilly