Moon phases and how it effects stalking

Recently a gentleman on another forum asked me why is it important for stalkers to be aware of the moon phases as generally speaking unless you have a night licience it would be pointless.

I explained to him that it was important to be aware of that information as depending what phase the moon was at it either became beneficial or not as the case may be.

If the phase of the moon was full or near full and not waxing or waining in either the early or later stages.Deer would feed more and stand out under the moon on clear nights and rest up during the day ruminating and little movement would take place in times the moon phases at other times. therfore it becomes more productive in managing numbers during the day when the part of the cycle phases are little moon.

To explain this further I enclose a link as to how this happens. Note phases of the moon are anticylonic in the Northern hemisphere and cyclonic in the Southern Hemisphere unlike wind direction around high pressure which is opposite to the above

http://www.moonconne...on_phases.phtml

Hope this helps anyone else who would like to be aware the moon also controls the hieght and tidal range throughout the world

Regards

Stu

Edited by Caprelous

I use an android app called "Moon Phase Pro".

It is an brilliant app with a live wallpaper, which constantly shows the current phase of the moon, as well as loads of other things it can tell you.

Very useful for best fishing times, spring tides, lamping, longnetting etc

And also for me, it tells me when to expect my sleepless nights of the month!! :D

• Like 1

It is an brilliant app with a live wallpaper, which constantly shows the current phase of the moon, as well as loads of other things it can tell you.

And also for me, it tells me when to expect my sleepless nights of the month!! :D

Thats a brilliant APP thanks for that

Stu

ive got that and theres a free app called Lunafaqt thats good aswell :thumbs:

The dog men love a full moon them running dogs can see as good as day light.. Don't know which i hate more them or the FC contractors who forget to pay there dues. Well there paid now one way or another. I will bet old sherrif feels better for paying his debts.

Interesting comment that one tapeworm , I am sure one that will go down with the lads on here. Me thinks like a lead fart

• Like 1

Be interesting to know how/if moon phases effect daylight stalkers?......I personally would have thought weather fronts would effect things more?

Moon phases affects us considerably WILF

In the quarters that are coming up to a full moon when the moon brightens the night deer will come out to feed rather than during daylight hours usually in a 4 hr feeding cycle then due to them feeding more at these times during the night time they lay up during daylight hours ruminating and rarely move , Hours of darkness in the later phases they feed more during the day so the advantage of seeing deer during those times are greater .obviously more productive in relation to the cull program.

Regards

Stu

Be interesting to know how/if moon phases effect daylight stalkers?......I personally would have thought weather fronts would effect things more?

Moon phases affects us considerably WILF

In the quarters that are coming up to a full moon when the moon brightens the night deer will come out to feed rather than during daylight hours usually in a 4 hr feeding cycle then due to them feeding more at these times during the night time they lay up during daylight hours ruminating and rarely move , Hours of darkness in the later phases they feed more during the day so the advantage of seeing deer during those times are greater .obviously more productive in relation to the cull program.

Regards

Stu

Thanks Stu, learn something new every day :thumbs: .......will this still apply in times of heavy gale force winds as I dont think Deer feel as comfortable in a wood at night in heavy winds......

With heavy winds or rain at any time WILF deer like all creatures showing enough nonse incl stalkers to get out of it :D In all honesty I would be waisting my time going out ,wind would be all over the place as well carrying my scent everyware ,human beings smell like the shit house door of a Fleetwood trawler to a deer as they have keen senses first kiff and they leg it inside the wood were they feel secure.

,human beings smell like the shit house door of a Fleetwood trawler to a deer

You might, I certainly don't. But then I shower more frequently. :D

Washing clothing in pure soap flakes and not using highly scented soap to wash yourself in along with refraining from such fancy smells such as aftershaves, pongy deodorants and smoking all help to keep the scent trail as low as possible.

One tip I picked up from an American hunter friend was try not to sweat in your stalking kit. Take your outer layer off before doing anything that makes you sweat. If stalking into a high seat for instance pack your jacket in your roe sack and only put it on when you get to the seat. Also keep your outer layer clothing jacket, trousers, hat etc sealed in a plastic bag when you're not wearing it. That way you can keep them away from those tell tale scents that they might pick up like cigarette smoke, wet dogs, diesel etc. He uses one of the thick plastic, zippered duvet storage bags. Obviously if wet he allows it to dry in the open air before packing it away.

,human beings smell like the shit house door of a Fleetwood trawler to a deer

You might, I certainly don't. But then I shower more frequently. :D

Washing clothing in pure soap flakes and not using highly scented soap to wash yourself in along with refraining from such fancy smells such as aftershaves, pongy deodorants and smoking all help to keep the scent trail as low as possible.

One tip I picked up from an American hunter friend was try not to sweat in your stalking kit. Take your outer layer off before doing anything that makes you sweat. If stalking into a high seat for instance pack your jacket in your roe sack and only put it on when you get to the seat. Also keep your outer layer clothing jacket, trousers, hat etc sealed in a plastic bag when you're not wearing it. That way you can keep them away from those tell tale scents that they might pick up like cigarette smoke, wet dogs, diesel etc. He uses one of the thick plastic, zippered duvet storage bags. Obviously if wet he allows it to dry in the open air before packing it away.

I stand corrected in your case H its more like the innermost inside lining of a Chinese Juglers Jock strap :whistling:

Good tip in respect to keeping the smells free from drifting into the woods from your jacket and the duvet bag.

P.S I use a waterproof flotation bag that is a redundant item from my sailing days :tongue2:

I stand corrected in your case H its more like the innermost inside lining of a Chinese Juglers Jock strap :whistling:

Is that anything like a sweaty sock?

I use a US mil-surp stuff sac. I periodically bung some fresh bay leaves in the bottom. I have no idea if it makes any difference, but, I like to think it does.