hedgehog advice

any hedgehog experts out there,bout an hour ago i let the dogs into the garden after about 5 mins my lurcher came in with an hedgehog in her mouth,she dropped it on the rug so i picked it up and weighed it, it was 340grms,i know they should be between 500-600grms to be able to hibernate,ive now put it in an empty aviary with a box full o straw,some fresh water and some dog mince,which its wolfed down,what i want to know is do you reckon i keep it locked in the aviary and keep feeding it til spring or should i leave the door open so it can come and go as it pleases,ive a pretty big garden with plenty cover but will it survive being that weight at this time of year :hmm::thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It wont survive now if you let it out, the cold is on it's way and the hog wont have time to put enough weight on before it comes. If you do decide to try to save it, it will need to be indoors, with

i probably would mate if i was in your shoes but im not,i dont mind hedgehogs in my garden

Do the world a favour and hit the little spikey c**t on the head!!!

Posted Images

theyve really struggled this year due to the dry weather and wind that has dried the soil out, so they have to try and play catchup now the weather has turned , although i suspect its to late for a good few that wont reach a good enough weight before hibination. but thats natures way of controling the population. boils my piss when i see these wildlife rescue programes if an animal,bird or whotever is fit enough to have a chance of survival upon rescue it should be released then and there. if not it should be despatched there and then and left where it is if possible, so it can continue its part in the food chain, and i dont mean despatched by an overdose of chemicals either. a good knock or twist will surfice on most and a humane dispach with a firearm on anything bigger.

If you are going to keep it over winter in the aviary, make sure the box full of straw has only a small pophole for it to go in and out through: also, make sure the box is big enough for a terrier! And really stuff it to the brim with straw: hedgehogs need lots of insulation. Also, make sure you have good rat and mouse control in place: a sleeping hedgehog is an easy target for even small vermin. Water is the most important thing: a lot die from dehydration. I'd be tempted to put it in a shed if the weather turns very cold as it did last year.

any hedgehog experts out there,bout an hour ago i let the dogs into the garden after about 5 mins my lurcher came in with an hedgehog in her mouth,she dropped it on the rug so i picked it up and weighed it, it was 340grms,i know they should be between 500-600grms to be able to hibernate,ive now put it in an empty aviary with a box full o straw,some fresh water and some dog mince,which its wolfed down,what i want to know is do you reckon i keep it locked in the aviary and keep feeding it til spring or should i leave the door open so it can come and go as it pleases,ive a pretty big garden with plenty cover but will it survive being that weight at this time of year :hmm::thumbs:

It wont survive now if you let it out, the cold is on it's way and the hog wont have time to put enough weight on before it comes.

If you do decide to try to save it, it will need to be indoors, with access to heat and completely draught free believe it or not!

The best food you can give it is tinned cat food (NOT the fish variety) some earth worms, birds eggs (sorry Lab) Their main diet in the wild is beetles and catterpillars. I've also read you can buy hedgehog food. Never give them slugs, slugs are only a tiny proportion of their diet and now the biggest killer of hogs (Lungworm)

Do not use flea spray on them, get the johnsons flea and mite powders.

If it reaches over 700g and the winter is still mild enough you can then put it in a shed so it starts to get used to the colder weather, then release them on a mild night...preferably not in your garden, but somewhere wild with an established hog colony (or where you got it from?)

The little fella i have here was in a sorry state, found it in the daytime, covered in bluebottles and eggs, unable to walk properly. Cant keep the little hooligan fed enough at the mo, he even escaped the dog cage and was in front of the fire when i woke this morning :huh:

But they are time consuming to care for, messy, and the mortality rate it quite high, your best bet is to try to contact someone who already does hog rescue...... http://www.britishhe...g.uk/carers.htm

If there is no-one in your area, phone the nearest and they will probably know someone nearer, ive recently found someone just a stones throw from me who is not on the list, but it appears he is away at the mo?

:thumbs:

• Like 2

Do the world a favour and hit the little spikey c**t on the head!!!

Come on Lab, offer to give it a home, itll be good company for the Cat :wub:.

You could also take in a few orphaned Fox Cubs, and hand rear them till they're ready to be re-located where there's plenty of pheasants :whistling: