Bushing/Mooching Terrier

Im looking at getting a Terrier pup in the New year for when im out Mooching with the Shotty, Ill also want to use him on Rats, Thats why i want a terrier instead of a Spaniel or Lurcher. Plus the Wife doesnt like Lurchers and i need to keep the peace! Lol. Iv always loved Terriers and just want a companion for when im out Hunting, And to come to work with me Ect. But also needs to be spot on with the Kids which i know is all in how you bring the pup up. Iv had dogs before and used to Breed and Race Huskies but this will be my fist Dog for Hunting and taking with me were ever i go.

My question is i have no experiance Digging to Terriers and the last thing i want is to be out and about and he disapears down the nearest hole and me not being able to get him back. Is this fairly Likely?

I was thinking of a Lakie as i love the look of them and they seem to be fairly good dogs all round. But id be happy with a Patt or Border or Plummer, Just have to see what is about when i get a pup.

if you just want a terrier for ratting and mooching and not for earth work,

i would go for a staffie. great little hunters and raters.

not that i am knocking the others breeds.

also they are brillant around kids and in the house.

atb, j.

its a tough one as we all know a terrier can sink at anytime be that in any breed...

If it was me I would be looking at all of them hard..

they all have good and bad points...

go for what you like?? but it may sink...

you could fall lucky and find a litter of terrier X whippets or something, leggy terrier which you could catch a rabbit with??

tough decision mate

Thanks Fellas, Its nice to get some genuine answers for a change. Iv set my heart on a Terrier as iv wanted one as long as i can remember. Iv never really liked Spaniels, I guess its just personal choice. I guess ill just have to see what is about when i get a pup. I do like Plummers as i like the look of them but i never see any for sale. Its going to be a family pet as well, IE live indoors with the family. Im guessing a rough/Broken coat would be better if im taking it into dence bush. Its a tough one! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get what you wanted and if so what did you settle on and why, iam after a dog for simular work as you but struggleing TBH, fancy a good Plummer or lightly built lakey, i do like the look of the terrier x spanial though, bet that could do the job.
Edited by buster gonads

Im looking at getting a Terrier pup in the New year for when im out Mooching with the Shotty, Ill also want to use him on Rats, Thats why i want a terrier instead of a Spaniel or Lurcher. Plus the Wife doesnt like Lurchers and i need to keep the peace! Lol. Iv always loved Terriers and just want a companion for when im out Hunting, And to come to work with me Ect. But also needs to be spot on with the Kids which i know is all in how you bring the pup up. Iv had dogs before and used to Breed and Race Huskies but this will be my fist Dog for Hunting and taking with me were ever i go.

My question is i have no experiance Digging to Terriers and the last thing i want is to be out and about and he disapears down the nearest hole and me not being able to get him back. Is this fairly Likely?

I was thinking of a Lakie as i love the look of them and they seem to be fairly good dogs all round. But id be happy with a Patt or Border or Plummer, Just have to see what is about when i get a pup.

get small jrt x beagle.. u know beagle is a very gentle breed and friendly.. and excellent hunters.

and its not how u bring them up all the time..some will turn to biters no matter what u do

Edited by Saho-man

Did you get what you wanted and if so what did you settle on and why, iam after a dog for simular work as you but struggleing TBH, fancy a good Plummer or lightly built lakey, i do like the look of the terrier x spanial though, bet that could do the job.

she ok not the biggest catcher of rabbits but honest and my young begal x russall